ksb

nukeworker

Ok i did a search and come up with two answers. I have an 89 non intercooled 5.9 for a repower in my old chevy. Do i put voltage to the ksb to keep it advanced all the time or do I not put voltage to it to keep it advanced all the time?

Also with the airdog for the 1st gens, do i have to use a fuel pressure regulator or not, with a boost reference or no? Do they come with a fitting to screw into the injection pump itself to plumb it in, or do you somehow reuse the previous hardline that came from the lift pump?

Thanks in advance guys.

u put voltage to it to advance it but i did mine an notaced NOTHING at all in performance and fuel press reg depends on how much output psi the pump has i have a 30 psi piston lp with a boost referanced reg and a boost elbow supplying pressure to it so it will not go all the way up to wide open psi because if ur boost pressure surpasses the max psi the pump puts out it will go to that max psi and no i doubt it will come with a fuel feed for the pump BUT you can get a 12 x 1.50to -6 an fitting fron any performance shop and u will have to cut about a 1/16th of thread off of it and gring the outside hex down to an 18mm to get it to go on the pump but i made it work to directly feed the pump and bypass all that restrictive filter housing in the head BUT you will have to run some kind of external fuel filter i have a napa part number for a nice filter that will work with a off the shelf filter mount but its on the truck and dont know the number off hand

Thanks rattlebox, I was just curious about it because im rewiring the truck, and the fitting info is good, but doesnt that airdog come with a filter and water seperator? And the boost elbow you talk about, that is like a regulater so the fuel regulater doesnt see full boost?

yeah you are correct the airdog will have filters but i like to filetr my fuel before it goes into the l/p and before it goes into the i/p and yes i am using a regulated "boost elbow" so the reg does not increse 1:1 more like 2-3:1 ie i fuel press for every 2-3 boost press 20+ psi is a big no no for a ve i have mine ideling @ about 8 and will come up to about 18 @ wot

Thanks for the info rattlebox, do you recommend a fuel pressure with some sort of isolater that i can mount in the cab so i can monitor that as well. This is for a repower and plan on using autometer guages to keep an eye on things as i pull about 12k loaded up around 100+ miles one way to race sometimes.

NonIC VE pumps will be advanced if the ksb has no voltage. IC VE pumps will be advanced when the ksb receives voltage. Nukeworker, ADD 12 volts to your ksb to run normal timing.

u put voltage to it to advance it but i did mine an notaced NOTHING at all in performance ...

My take...

If you have STOCK injectors, then you won't gain much. Now with 40hp injectors and 12v to the KSB, I knocked off .2 in the 1/4 when I added the 12v power.

NonIC VE pumps will be advanced if the ksb has no voltage. IC VE pumps will be advanced when the ksb receives voltage. Nukeworker, ADD 12 volts to your ksb to run normal timing.

+1...
Also, don't put much more than 15 psi into the inlet of the ve, or your risking the front seal being pushed out, filling your crankcase with diesel...

Thanks for the advice guys i was planning on adding a set of injectors to the shopping list. Just got the engine and trans set in today after a little persuasion. Projects moving along but still have a ton of stuff to do.

Back