loping tune for 6.5

Fact 5. 6.5TDs still power humvees. With updated blocks with better metalurgy and improved fueling, The newest 6.5's are offered at 300hp to motivate the latest humvees with heavier armor designed to protect troops from IEDs.

Did your mother let you eat paint chips as a child...

HMMWV's use 3 engines...They use the 6.2 for the 900 series trucks, the N/A 6.5 for the 1000 series trucks, and the Turbo 6.5 for the 1100 series up-armor trucks...Want to know the horsepower of those 6.5 Turbo engines? 190 HP...The same as every other truck engine out there, including the design and metal in the block, but they use the van turbocharger setup though...I work on those trucks for a living here in Iraq and I have for 2 years...I can tell you every single thing that goes wrong on those POS engines...Blown headgaskets, leaking turbos, junk injection pumps, junk glow plugs and glow plug controllers...I can change an injection pump on a HMMWV in 2 hours and 45 minutes and that includes pulling the turbo and setting the TPS...They are anemic, worthless engines when installed into 14K pound armored HMMWV's...Its ok though, the 6.5 will soon be out of production for good as the last 2,500 HMMWV's will be rolling off the assembly lines this year...The military contract is finished, they plan to just build parts for a few years until the HMMWV is phased out...Then no more...I am thinking about trying to buy up all the HMMWV engines I can from military surplus so I can store them and sell them as replacements for all these guys that own 6.5's when their engines go bad...And dont get me started on the rest of that flat bottomed, aluminum skinned death trap they call a gun truck...

on a gasser when some one wanted a rough idle on a stock car , we use to tell then to pull a few plug wires off

Goal is as much as I can get out of it, however, the "starting" point is 650RWHP.

650hp on two GM-8 turbo's? I dont think one of them alone will support 300hp, so i dont see any way that two could support 650hp? What kind of boost are you going to run? 10psi? I dont think the turbo's will last with any amount of boost at all since they run maybe 8psi stock.

I have already had a guy confirm that they will be just right, plus I am doing several modifications to them. There is no specific boost that it will be running, rather, it will be running just enough to get the best numbers on the dyno. There is more to turbocharging than just pounds of boost ;)

If you must have a number, I told the piston manufacturer 30psi (leaving room for upgrades).

guys run GM8s at 15 psi all the time. some even higher without little ill affects. and yes one GM4 which doesnt flow as nice as a GM8 will flow 300 hp. its been done last year.

Back