Might have stripped ring and pinion

Just a thought... But before you jump the gun on getting a new stub welded on id be sure the races fit in the hub first. Sucker looked like it got hot!

That is why I had to buy a new hub. The races just fell out of them. :( But what does the races in the hub have to do with the stub?

That is why I had to buy a new hub. The races just fell out of them. :( But what does the races in the hub have to do with the stub?

Well if your gonna need a new hub i think just getting an axle and swapping it would be a cheaper route. I know the feeling of being broke down and broke too much. Haha

I'm also hoping that because the bearings went to crap and kind of got loose and slack in it before it had time to do damage to the hub. if that makes sense lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

011.jpg

Let us recap. Nothing makes sense when she goes. :hehe:

Hub is good, new bearings dropped right in with no play or tightness at all. Hell the old races even felt good yet, but I'll replace them anyways.

So it comes down to finding an axle with 4.10's already in it for less than $850, or finding an axle in good shape that I can get mine swapped in with a bearing/seal kit for less than $850 total, because thats the only way I see this being cheaper than the axle doctors. I'll look until tuesday, then I'm calling them. I need this on the road ASAP.

Found an axle local on CL, but he wants 250, and he's not replying. So either way that plus parts and gear swap would put me over 825, which is what axle surgeons is charging me on monday at 0700.

Last edited:
Is this it?

New Dana Spicer Dana 50 or 60 Front Spindle Nut Conversion Kit | eBay

Says it's for D60 and D50 front axle?

Also, say I have to reuse the stock nut, I'm reading around that its nylon or something (sure feels like steel though), and that its a one time use part. anyone know anything about that?

Without seeing the part numbers its hard to tell, seems like a d60 spindle is smaller. The axle surgeon probably has a nut setup. I have a friend that is an axle surgeon & he has everything to get you going if you have a burnt up spindle, I would assume they are all about the same. I would not reuse the old nut btw.

Without seeing the part numbers its hard to tell, seems like a d60 spindle is smaller. The axle surgeon probably has a nut setup. I have a friend that is an axle surgeon & he has everything to get you going if you have a burnt up spindle, I would assume they are all about the same. I would not reuse the old nut btw.

Yeah i saw it was nylon, which surprised me. The weight and feel makes you think steel. I guess i gotta measure the old one ID too.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Well this is cool. The spindle and bearings are dodge, and then where the inner seal rides is ford measurement. NAPA still got me the right parts for the rebuild, but the surgeon guy has to find that whole new end where the seal rides and the spindle attaches too. WTF was dodge doing in 98? LOL

Well this is cool. The spindle and bearings are dodge, and then where the inner seal rides is ford measurement. NAPA still got me the right parts for the rebuild, but the surgeon guy has to find that whole new end where the seal rides and the spindle attaches too. WTF was dodge doing in 98? LOL

About as ruckin' feetarded as putting disc brakes on the outside and leaving the emergency brake on the inside like my old '02. :bang

About as ruckin' feetarded as putting disc brakes on the outside and leaving the emergency brake on the inside like my old '02. :bang

I got lucky with this disc swap, the caliper has the e-brake arm on it, so all I have to do is squeeze the ebrake cable into it. Someday.

For that seal surface part, he had an adapter of some sort. I swear I've never seen so many parts, tools, welders, torches, and more parts in that back of a 1 ton LOL

Yip. Welder, torch, line-mill, more parts than you can shake a stick at. He just picks the outer seal size then heats it and slides it on the stub, correct? I think I remember that. Pretty cool what they do.

I have a 3500 SRW Diff with 3.73 LS disc brake, all it needs is pads, that came out of my truck when I converted to a dually. I live in Mid GA. $750. Were are you?

I have a 3500 SRW Diff with 3.73 LS disc brake, all it needs is pads, that came out of my truck when I converted to a dually. I live in Mid GA. $750. Were are you?

He is from "half-way done now Oklahoma."

:hehe:

Yip. Welder, torch, line-mill, more parts than you can shake a stick at. He just picks the outer seal size then heats it and slides it on the stub, correct? I think I remember that. Pretty cool what they do.

Yeah its extremely simple, but the jig and tool setup is very clever. And he wasn't afraid to use 30lbs of sticks to weld that new spindle in LOL It's just amazing that he has everything he needs to go out on the road and fix anything that could pop up. In his gasser ford. LOL

He is from "half-way done now Oklahoma."

:hehe:

Yes, all done now. Either way, 750 + distance + gear swap + diff rebuild== way more than a spindle swap LOL Thanks though.

Back