More power? Best option?

01Rusty

Ok 7.3 guys. I have stage 2 industrial injection split shots. Yes I now know it was a mistake to get split shots. I also have an Edge Juice with attitude stacked on an original "plug in" Superchip(another bad). Hind sight is 20/20.
I am pretty sure I have PMR's. I want more power, as much as possible in the future. I will be doing this little by little over the future years. Had the truck ten years, and not ever planning on getting rid of it. So when I first had all of this installed the only problem I had was of course high EGT's when pulling hard or when on EXTREME setting and driving hard. Also had kind of jumping or surging(not turbo surge even though I have that too)at higher RPM's. When I say high I mean in the 2500 range not in overdrive. It was more of a driveability issue. About 35,000 miles later, I am having problems with missing/skipping at low RPM's cruising speed on the interstate or just low RPM's slow speed in overdrive. My question is how much money would it take to get rid of the PMR's and get to the 600 to 1000 HP range with this 2001 7.3? Also to get rid of the stacking, what custom tuner should I go with? Should I go ahead now and bite the bullet and get rid of the split shots. Lots of questions so please chime in. Thanks

so how much money to get to the 600 to 1000 HP range including changing rods?

Last edited:
With an 01 you may not have pmr's. There are a few forged rod motors out there during that time but more than likely you do have pmr's. From reading your post it seems as though you understand you cant stack 7.3 psd's. With the tuning there are quite a few good tuners out there, your best bet is to contact a few through calls/emails/pm's and ask questions so you can decide who to go with. Plus they will set you in the right direction to get to your goal.

And more than likely you will have to up your injector size. Do you know what size injectors they are other than stage 2's (cc and nozzle size)?

160cc and no idea on the nozzles. Any suggestions on tuning with these injectors for the mean time until i can change these injectors. would be nice to get something to help out now that could be reburnt cheap/free when injectors are changed and turbo added. would like to add another turbo now that could be upgraded even bigger later. From what I have read I need to go with a T3/T4 flange to do this. Does that have anything to do with the pedestal? I have been looking at DP tuner but have heard that there is better tuning. They sell the QSSB turbo. Would this be a good route to be able to easily modify for more power in the future?

I am a Ford Man all the way and I love my Powerstroke but if I buy another truck it have a Cummins. I like the 7.3 that is why I am trying to see what it will take to keep this one competitive.

If 800 hp fuel only is the goal, then you have set a very lofty goal ahead of you. The top couple 7.3 dyno numbers are in the low 700s. I'm a very big fan of the motor, but you have selected what is quite possibly the most expensive diesel platform to make power with. Once you come to terms with that....then I wish you luck.

Two posts I'd pay attention too...the link to PSA to get you started, and the advice from BIGRPOWR to look at a different platform...as for the investment your looking at....if may cause you to revise your goals or look at a different platform.

Rods-2500+
Big Oil-2000
Injectors-3000
Compound turbo system-9000+
Bedplate-2500-3500
Live tuning/dyno time-1000+
Machine shop bill-???

Not unique to the 7.3, but you probably ought to consider-
Trans/clutch-???
Driveline improvements (traction bars, lockers, etc)

Those numbers above are ballpark. It would be very easy to spend more, and you could quite possibly with some patience/persistence, spend less as well.

As was previously posted, call Swamps, WOP, or your 7.3 shop of choice that has made your power goals already...and ask 'em what your in for $$$ wise. It might change your goal. Good luck.

If I missed the boat on the 600 hp goal, I apologize, could swore that's what you posted said 800.

600 hp can be done on a factory forged rod motor, that is otherwise healthy, and has good compression to start with.

200% nozzle B-code or Hybrid injector
SRP1
71-76mm inducer turbo
mount/piping to support above
valve springs
head studs
pushrods
RR fuel system
Tuner-your choice, I'd pick one that has made your power goal with your pick of components....proven tuning/hardware combo that way.

00Rich is a 550+ hp fella if I recall correctly. He might be a good recipe to copy/paste from.

Thanks! That is what I was looking for. Now I have an avenue to make my decision. I WILL basically get as much power out of it as I can afford because as I said before, the truck is going to be with me for a very long time. With that being said, I might have to reconsider my power goal (for this truck anyway).

IMHO-the fuel/air required to make 600+ hp on a single turbo make you sacrifice some drivability (towing, cold weather idle haze, smoke control) on the 7.3.....

Thanks. That helps too. I would like to be able to use this truck for the mean time for pulling on the weekends. It helps to have driveability for that. So what would be a realistic goal for HP on this truck to have driveability? And of course still have as much HP as possibly. I dyno'ed it this weekend at 330HP and 615 torque. I still have some room with my fuel if I had more air b/c my EGTs get high easy. For the big numbers I guess I will have to wait for a 6.7 Powerstroke or get a Cummins

I've got Full Force stage 1 injectors a 38 r turbo with 1.10 exh housing and run TS tunes and last I dynoed I put down 378.6 HP and 780 tq. I haven't dyno'd it again since I put on the stealth HPOP.
My mileage is good and so is driveability . And I can pull any Damn thing I want. And I DO have PMRs
This might give you and idea of what you are looking for.

Thanks. What tunes do u have from ts and where is the best place to get them?

Also would anybody recommend going ahead and pulling the split shots and getting singles or should I just stay with the splits for now?

Injectors are spendy.

Stick with what you have, just for the dollar factor.

Call some shops and pick there brain if they are not busy.

You can get more from a 15 minute phone call then a day on the damn internet sometimes. Also calling with the intention to buy something always helps the info flow smoother.

I'm running the "shelf" tunes as everyone calls them.
And yes.. I would go to single shots.

FullForce can switch you over to singles and set you up with programs

Last edited:
Back