My Buddy's latest tow setup

I'm betting that rig is getting very near 13'8" height. He ever have problems with underpasses?

Has ever had trouble taking that set through Cali? I know a couple people that have been hassled being over 60ft. long...

Just curious because I really like this setup. It would be interesting to know the limitations.

He's retired, was a electronics guy working for a company here in central Oregon. He hasn't had any problems so far, pulls to Lake Havasu every fall and back every spring. Also goes to some of the local lakes fishing in the summer and always to Shasta Lake. I know for a fact if he ever gets stopped here in Oregon he's going to get a ticket because he doesn't have a T license on his truck. Not sure of the height, but I know it's well under the limit to worry about overpasses. As far as fuel economy IIRC he said he gets around 8mpg. Haven't asked him what he gets in a strong headwind but I will.

Why not tow the boat behind?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is not legal for recreational towing in OR or WA. There used to be a loophole many years ago but if you look through the permits for a big rig (I did) it is now specifically addressed as not legal. Even has pictures. The very reason I bought a toyhauler. I would have been very happy to be able to tow doubles instead especially since I am licensed for doubles/triples and extended weight.

My favorite still has to be the 40 foot M/H I saw here in WA. The boat was backed onto the trailer, nose raised in the air via hydralics. And a JK nosed up under the boat mid way. No length/weight/height/legal issues involved. And much easier/quicker to load.

Sounds interesting any pictures? This set up is easy to load and unload and you have a big 5th wheel as well.

I like the dolly set up I was thinking about building a tandem axle one to haul my little brother's 42ft toy hauler behind my f550 with my 11ft slide in camper...i have seen the boat loader idea several places..little odd to me, but gets it done..

Sounds interesting any pictures? This set up is easy to load and unload and you have a big 5th wheel as well.

Sadly no, We crossed paths on Blewitt pass last year. I was headed north and he was headed south. Your buddies is a cool setup for sure. It could just be a legal headache if some cop wanted to spoil the fun. This M/H looked like a cool way to legally get everything where you wanted it. Pretty sure you could even toss a Harley on there somewhere :rockwoot:

Time + $ + ambition = creation

Very cool setup, even if its illegal in most states. I've come to realize that if what your hauling looks like its done properly, you most likely will not be harassed (even when you are illegal)

How does the dolly attach to the truck? It looks like a double receiver set-up. Got any pics of how the dolly hooks up?

Back