Narrowing rear axle

SHughes

Too much is never enough!
Suppose a guy wanted to narrow the rear axle from any of our light duty diesel trucks...

Where would a guy take it to be done? About how much might it cost? I'd prefer to find a place near the middle of the United States to avoid shipping a rear axle both ways.

I know a few guys on here have done it, I just don't remember who has.

Not he kind of thing I'm willing to fuk up on my own. Nor do I need tools for a one time procedure.

In order to TRY and keep the cost down, I want to run a narrowed stock Dodge axle and ladder bars with the stock frame rails. Future plans include a 4-link back half and a 9".

I had a dana 80 cut down 17" locally. With the cutting then sending off my axles to be cut & re-splined I had $750 in the complete deal.

Suppose a guy wanted to narrow the rear axle from any of our light duty diesel trucks...

Where would a guy take it to be done? About how much might it cost? I'd prefer to find a place near the middle of the United States to avoid shipping a rear axle both ways.

I know a few guys on here have done it, I just don't remember who has.

Could call Quick Performance in Ames, IA. Least they can do is give you a price, I know they are the ones that built our 9".

I was looking at them for a 9" too amd plan to call them tomorrow if I have some time.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Also try some local 4x4 custom shops...and not just a place that bolts on lifts. If they build real offroad rigs like mud racers or rock crawlers I am sure they can narrow the rear and have a source to cut and re-spline your axles.

Around here it's 100$ to cut and narrow and 345 for 31spin or 41spin axles but I have he's did 10 for me have a prostreet vega for about 10yrs on the road never had a problem dose 5.80s-6.00s in the 1/8 all day long

The AAM Dodge axle tubes are tapered on the inside. Our machine shop had to machine a sleeve to get it cut down and reinforced correctly. I don't believe the Dana80's are tapered.

I did my Dana 70 on my own. I didn't use any special alignment tools or anything. Tacked it together using a square, a level, and the new bearing end with bearing and axle installed. Then remoeved axle and bearing and slowly welded it up. Wheel turns straight and true so I guess it must be good lol.

Back