Narrowing rear axle

SHughes

Too much is never enough!
Suppose a guy wanted to narrow the rear axle from any of our light duty diesel trucks...

Where would a guy take it to be done? About how much might it cost? I'd prefer to find a place near the middle of the United States to avoid shipping a rear axle both ways.

I know a few guys on here have done it, I just don't remember who has.

Race car shop, can, or will know where to send you.

Not he kind of thing I'm willing to fuk up on my own. Nor do I need tools for a one time procedure.

In order to TRY and keep the cost down, I want to run a narrowed stock Dodge axle and ladder bars with the stock frame rails. Future plans include a 4-link back half and a 9".

I had a dana 80 cut down 17" locally. With the cutting then sending off my axles to be cut & re-splined I had $750 in the complete deal.

I had a dana 80 cut down 17" locally. With the cutting then sending off my axles to be cut & re-splined I had $750 in the complete deal.

That's what I was hoping for...far less than a new built 9"

Suppose a guy wanted to narrow the rear axle from any of our light duty diesel trucks...

Where would a guy take it to be done? About how much might it cost? I'd prefer to find a place near the middle of the United States to avoid shipping a rear axle both ways.

I know a few guys on here have done it, I just don't remember who has.

Could call Quick Performance in Ames, IA. Least they can do is give you a price, I know they are the ones that built our 9".

I was looking at them for a 9" too amd plan to call them tomorrow if I have some time.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Wow... its 125 to cut down and repline axles, and maybe 150-250 to get it narrowed.

Also try some local 4x4 custom shops...and not just a place that bolts on lifts. If they build real offroad rigs like mud racers or rock crawlers I am sure they can narrow the rear and have a source to cut and re-spline your axles.

east coast gear supply is a good place... might be a little far, though

Around here it's 100$ to cut and narrow and 345 for 31spin or 41spin axles but I have he's did 10 for me have a prostreet vega for about 10yrs on the road never had a problem dose 5.80s-6.00s in the 1/8 all day long

The AAM Dodge axle tubes are tapered on the inside. Our machine shop had to machine a sleeve to get it cut down and reinforced correctly. I don't believe the Dana80's are tapered.

I did my Dana 70 on my own. I didn't use any special alignment tools or anything. Tacked it together using a square, a level, and the new bearing end with bearing and axle installed. Then remoeved axle and bearing and slowly welded it up. Wheel turns straight and true so I guess it must be good lol.

Back