Need advice on building a Quick Diesel 12.00 truck.

01Grizzly

I want to go with a bigger charger and new wheels and tires for my truck, but I don't know what to do. Any suggestions/advice are greatly appreciated.

Here are the specs on my truck.

2001 Dodge Ram
QCSB weighing 6500 lbs.
P-pumped with maxed 180 pump, 5gsk, Rack Plug, and all the other goodies.
Built transmission with billet input, billet output, valve body, triple disc tc, etc
7x.014 injectors with .093 lines and tubes
P&P head, studs, keepers, retainers, springs etc.
S465 charger with BD intercooler
Aftermarket cam
All of the supporting mods are there too.

Thanks for looking,
Kyle.

Has this truck been down the track and you are looking for improvement or what? I know you want some advice, but throw us a bone.

Yes it has been run down the track last weekend at the NADM event in Hebron, Ohio. Truck's best pass was a 13.2 with 60 ft time of 1.9, MPH at 1/4 was 104.xx. I am wanting to improve times and race the QD class next year. Sorry for not posting that in the original post.

I thought my set up was capable of 12's as well. I could more then likely skip on upgrading the charger. My biggest problem is getting traction. The truck is getting lowered and this winter I wanted to purchase wheels and drag radials for it but I have no clue what to look for in that department.

Some of the 12.00 trucks are dialing in with a little bit of nitrous. What were your 60' and 1/8 mile splits?

Longhorn589 has his truck for sale on here. It runs 11.90s and he has his setup listed out. Might be a good one to look at it and compare notes.

I dont want to use nitrous I would like to stay all fuel. Yeah I see that Chase is selling his dually and I will take another look at his thread and compare notes. Thanks for the heads up haloman. Here is all the information from my fastest pass last weekend.

R/T .326
60 1.920
330 5.520
1/8 8.504 at 82.47
1000 11.055
1/4 13.211 at 104.23

Last edited:
I think you have an issue with tuning somewhere....if the truck really only weighs 6500, then you should be able to trap way higher than 104 mph. You're down on power somewhere.

what stall is your converter because i had the same problem as you and i though i had had a tuning problem. Come to find out my converter was too low of a stall for the size of my charger. Dave goerend sent me another converter that was close to a stock stall and it was like a whole different truck.

I dont want to use nitrous I would like to stay all fuel. Yeah I see that Chase is selling his dually and I will take another look at his thread and compare notes. Thanks for the heads up haloman. Here is all the information from my fastest pass last weekend.

R/T .326
60 1.920
330 5.520
1/8 8.504 at 82.47
1000 11.055
1/4 13.211 at 104.23

I ran a 12.51@105 with 181 dv's
12.21@110 with 024's
11.90@114 with Weston's dv's

These runs were all on a hx40/475 twins with ~1.7 60ft times and little DDP injectors.
Cut some fuel back and put a good set of quick spooling twins on.

And no...are you effing high?:hehe: I'm not selling my dually.
Never would do such a thing. I'm selling my black qcsb daily driver.

I think you have an issue with tuning somewhere....if the truck really only weighs 6500, then you should be able to trap way higher than 104 mph. You're down on power somewhere.

Exactly. Plus with a 1.9 60' you don't have much to gain there. What maybe .3 tops? So .6 overall which puts you around a 12.6 if traction really is an issue. So with that there is something else holding you back.

And no...are you effing high?:hehe: I'm not selling my dually.
Never would do such a thing. I'm selling my black qcsb daily driver.

I was a bit shocked when that was mentioned. After all that time and money and then to just sell it! :doh:

Kyle,
I didn't see any of your full passes and I don't have the first clue on what to do about the pump. In the meantime though, I'd try to cut as much weight as you can. There's no weight limits in QD, so the lighter you can make it, the more likely you'll be able to make parts last. I think I counted 19 timeslips in my glovebox between the races Friday/Saturday. :cool:

The 1/8mi needs to pick up .8-.9 of a second before making a 12.00. Big singles aren't very power friendly for the drag strip unless you want to spend years tuning. The pulling crowd gets away with it because, for the most part, they stay in one final drive ratio.

Some of the 12.00 trucks are dialing in with a little bit of nitrous. What were your 60' and 1/8 mile splits?

exactly my 06 runs 12.1 to 12.3 on fuel down here at sea level and I just use a small jet to dial it in when ever I run 12.0 or 11.90 index classes.

I do not have videos of my runs unfortunately. Timing is pinned at 25. I left the line at 12 psi boost and spun off and had to pedal to get going. Not sure on tire psi as I forgot my gauge. I thought about twins on the truck and I am still in the air about them, but I guess for right now I need to cut weight, get tires, and tune tune tune.

Joel what tires are you running? I know Lynn is running the Nitto 555R radials and loves them. Also would you happen to know what your rims weigh either seperately or together? If I get wheels I want to try to keep them as light as possible.

Something is off there. Do a search under my name for some of my old vids with the previous ED 468. Bottom twelves on a crap 12v head and stock cam albeit a bit lighter than you. We need some videos of your runs. Are you at elevation?

Also, again on my 12v so keep this in mind, unless I launch at 20+psi the truck is a fricken turd off the line. You need to be launching at higher boost imho unless as you've indicated traction problems prevent doing so.

This is a 4x4 right?

Last edited:
Back