Need any and all ideas

1. I'll try that
2. If you wouldn't mind emailing that to me that'd be great. I don't get the TDR mags.
3. It's an AFE oiled filter that's about 16" long and 4" in diameter. It should be able to flow enough. I think I'm gonna take the housing off of it though just to help it out.
4. Getting an ECM to swap is gonna be a challenge.
5. I'm putting my money on the TST as well. We'll see how it does with the drag comp.
6. Don't know of any performance shops around here but I'll see what dodge wants to test it. Probably my first born child.

I have tested everything so I know it's electrical.

1. Just make sure that you take your time, it is easy to miss one. I set mine at .010 intake, .015 exhaust. The engine sounds smoother.
2. I'll try to scan the mag, send me your email address.
3. That filter should be fine, I had a Volant with a enclosed box at the time when HTT said that I needed more airflow.
4. I'm sure that there is someone around who will swap one out for testing, If I had one I'd send it out. It only takes 5 minutes to take one out, very easy swap.
5. I honestly am thinking TST, return Smarty to stock & set the Drag to 5x4...everyone who I've seen dyno have got their best numbers on 5x4. Smarty has proven to take up to 30hp away when stacked with the Drag.
6. I'm sure that Dodge will cost some coin. I'd try to find a Bosch shop.

1. Guess I got another project for this week.
2. Check your pm's
3. I'm hoping so
4. I've swapped it before but we'll see if I can get ahold of one. Maybe a junk yard?
5. I'm thinking it's the TST also.
6. I'm gonna do some calling around.

Tyler, when your running your truck real hard on the street how does it pull in od with the converter locked ??? Thanks Steve B.

Is there a way to test the APPS? I know Jory was trying to find one recently.

I'm thinking it may be sending a low signal, not exhibiting the typical signs of failing. Maybe reset it?

I have an old one on the way from getblown5.9. Once I have a spare, I'm gonna hack mine up and see if I can clean, test, and reassemble it with epoxy. Prolly just waste time and a used APPS but something's gotta give on my truck also. I'm not satisfied with running correctly 98% of the time! :D

Tyler, when your running your truck real hard on the street how does it pull in od with the converter locked ??? Thanks Steve B.

Once the turbo comes on it runs great. What's on your mind?

Once the turbo comes on it runs great. What's on your mind?
A few years back my truck would run great, but really wouldn't pull hard on the top end. It also would not make a whole lot of HP on the dynos. I ended up changing the VP-44 and all has been well since. Are your EGT's as high as expected, if they seem low for your injector / turbo combination its more than likely in your fueling. Just my $.02.

Thanks Steve B.

How is the lag? On a vp-44 truck the more lag the lower the peak numbers because it just doesnt have time to get up on the charger and get things rolling before the vp44 runs out of steam.

You have a stock manifold? ever rev the truck while under the hood to see if there are any soot leaks at the manifold? This can seriously hurt you if the leak is substantial enough. Make sure you check under the bottom of the turbo flange...thats where mine had a 3" crack and with the addition of a ported out HTT manifold i noticed a good pickup on the spool and top end pull.

I didn't even know i had the crack because of it being underneath...we were pulling the tranny on the lift when i shined the light up there and saw it. the block was soot stained and the firewall, but since it usually only leaked alot on high speed runs i never saw any soot coming from under the hood etc.

ctd8999, this truck has never had much of a top end on it. VP was changed back in july and has had good fuel pressure to it the entire time. EGT's are low. 1350* with the TST on 7 and smarty on 5 with 200hp injectors at 45-48psi of boost.

TJ, the lag isn't outside of what I'd call normal. If I roll in to it at 70mph I can be singing full boost by 78 or so. This is coming up from 5-6psi and with the tst on 1. TST on 7 I'm full boost almost instantly. I checked the manifold when I swapped the turbo and didn't see any soot stains anywhere on the block or anywhere else. I do have a small little exhaust leak but it's on the v-band on the down pipe so that's not hurting anything. I'm still on the stock manifold seeing as how I haven't had it crack yet so no reason to replace it. Getting the charger spooled on the dyno isn't a problem at all. Now maybe hitting full boost is but not getting it spooled. Last dyno I was on I was only seeing 40psi but the smoke cleared up.

ctd8999, this truck has never had much of a top end on it. VP was changed back in july and has had good fuel pressure to it the entire time. EGT's are low. 1350* with the TST on 7 and smarty on 5 with 200hp injectors at 45-48psi of boost.

TJ, the lag isn't outside of what I'd call normal. If I roll in to it at 70mph I can be singing full boost by 78 or so. This is coming up from 5-6psi and with the tst on 1. TST on 7 I'm full boost almost instantly. I checked the manifold when I swapped the turbo and didn't see any soot stains anywhere on the block or anywhere else. I do have a small little exhaust leak but it's on the v-band on the down pipe so that's not hurting anything. I'm still on the stock manifold seeing as how I haven't had it crack yet so no reason to replace it. Getting the charger spooled on the dyno isn't a problem at all. Now maybe hitting full boost is but not getting it spooled. Last dyno I was on I was only seeing 40psi but the smoke cleared up.

then its prolly not the exhaust, gotta be fueling...1350* on a 62 with that kind of fuel is way low. i saw 1550* with TST and smarty on 9 with a 66.

are all your high pressure lines and cross over tubes corrosion free at the connections...i mean its just a thought (since the vp44 is pretty fresh) but maybe you got some corosion down in the cross overs when swapping a pump or injectors at some point hindering the flow of fuel.

i would also see about finding someone with an extra vp44 and trying ANOTHER one just to eliminate each part of the equation.

High pressure lines are all clean and clear. I'm thinking that egt's are low to considering these injectors are the same size as mach 6's I ought to be hitting 1500*. If I could find someone with a spare VP I'd be more than happy to test it but the one I knew of got put on the truck cause his was dying.

I would have to think your VP-44 may be alittle weak. Your EGT's should be alot higher than what you have now. I would borrow a pump like TJ suggested. I hope you get it fixed. Thanks Steve B.

I'm really hoping not cause I don't wanna have to buy another one. I may be able to get this one under warranty but I doubt it.

Some place up north. I don't remember the name off the top of my head.

I have a spare VP on the shelf. It was running on my 99 5 spd truck when it was pulled. You can come swap it out and try it. Jeremy.

Tyler ill bet you that there is a fuel calibration problem. If the edge doesnt fix it you better look at your ecm. I had the same problem and it was the APPS. I know you have replaced it and thats why you might check out the ecm. Thats the only other possible problem.

Tyler ill bet you that there is a fuel calibration problem. If the edge doesnt fix it you better look at your ecm. I had the same problem and it was the APPS. I know you have replaced it and thats why you might check out the ecm. Thats the only other possible problem.

Thats what I told him. I've seen it too many times on a weak truck.

I've never replaced the APPS. Just the injection pump. I'm really hoping it's not the ECM cause wrecked 01 cummins up here are far and few between and I dang sure ain't gonna pay full retail price. I wonder if Bob Wagner could help me out in that department? I wonder if there's a way he could erase the memory and rewrite it or something?

Back