New guy, old truck

Rob_O

n00b
Hello everyone, just wanted to introduce myself and my new project, It's a '92 and my first diesel :snoop:. Pictures make it look worse than it really is

DSC00431.jpg

DSC00429.jpg

Pump has been played with a little, not sure what all has been done but it blows a little smoke on startup and when I put the smoke pedal down. Clears up quick on the stock turbo so I'm sure it's not too far from stock

Current problems include...

No OD - Bypassed the thermal switches and still no OD, hot wired the solenoid and it's not the problem. TPS tests good, brake lights work

Speedo works, odometer does not

Alternator is new, regulator is not charging

I think I need a PCM but I'm willing to listen to other ideas. The wiring is a bit... well, they say a picture is worth a thousand words so

DSC00433.jpg

DSC00427.jpg

No OD and no charge lead me to believe it is the PCM. You can bypass that.

Good buy. It is very normal for a puff of smoke on startup as the injection pump was designed to give full fuel below 400rpms.

Your always on top of first gen stuff aren't you haha.

Posted via tapatalk if you know what i mean

Wouldn't hot wiring the solenoid bypass the pcm?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

If your putting 12v to the one wire and grouding the other and OD still doesn't work you have a bad solenoid or internal wiring issue.

No OD and no charge lead me to believe it is the PCM. You can bypass that.

Good buy. It is very normal for a puff of smoke on startup as the injection pump was designed to give full fuel below 400rpms.

I already have the '91 regulator in-hand and the OD solenoid wired, that will get me down the road for now.

Holly rats nest Batman that is a mess of wiring.

Yeah, it has all kinda cool bonus features like turn signals that work even when the key is off. Fixing the wiring might fix the PCM issues but I'm not holding my breath

Wouldn't hot wiring the solenoid bypass the pcm?

Yes, that's the idea. Solenoid and transmission have tested good so the problem is in the wiring or the PCM

LOL Love your signature!

I read it as he grounded the solenoid and it worked then. Maybe I read it wrong?

LOL Love your signature!

I read it as he grounded the solenoid and it worked then. Maybe I read it wrong?

I read it the other way lol. Dont mind me, carry on.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

Damn thats quite the hack job. I had the same od and charge troubles, od is on a switch and external regulator took care of it.

Damn thats quite the hack job. I had the same od and charge troubles, od is on a switch and external regulator took care of it.

I did the switch and regulator tonight, then drove it up the road about 20 miles in OD with the headlights on... Just because I could!!!

The wiring doesn't look any better but I worked around a few issues. Still need a working horn to pass the out-of-state inspection, I have a working set of ricer air horns to solve that problem so I can get tags

Wow you guys really don't know that much about these things do you? The alternator and OD both require the crank sensor to be in working order on 91-93 trucks.

Wow you guys really don't know that much about these things do you? The alternator and OD both require the crank sensor to be in working order on 91-93 trucks.

Like O.M.G.! You must be like the best mechanic in like ever! Please tell us more oh wise one...

Like O.M.G.! You must be like the best mechanic in like ever! Please tell us more oh wise one...

No I just know my stuff. I know 1st gens pretty much inside n out I'm just new to CompD. It's not that complicated really just that there's 3 things that control OD on 1st gens RPM, throttle position and Vehicle speed. Same with the charging system without a crank sensor it won't give the computer the signal it needs to regulate how much the alternator puts out.

It's not that complicated really just that there's 3 things that control OD on 1st gens RPM, throttle position and Vehicle speed. Same with the charging system without a crank sensor it won't give the computer the signal it needs to regulate how much the alternator puts out.

I have read that before, I've also read that without a functioning crank sensor the speedo won't work. Is this correct?

Anyone want to try something for me, just unplug the crank sensor on a known working truck to see what quits? I'd rather not throw $100 at a part on a guess

I have read that before, I've also read that without a functioning crank sensor the speedo won't work. Is this correct?

Anyone want to try something for me, just unplug the crank sensor on a known working truck to see what quits? I'd rather not throw $100 at a part on a guess

No your speedo only works off the vehicle speed sensor either on the tail housing of the transmission (2wd) or the tail housing on the transfercase (4wd). I'd unplug mine but mine will only cut out the alt n not the OD as mines a stick.

My crank sensor got unplugged and the only thing I noticed is that my truck wouldn't charge. Everything else worked fine, including Overdrive.

Back