New pistons are here!

zstroken said:
Someone enlighten me why a forged piston won't outlast a cast??

The cast diesel piston has a steel ring land insert. Supposibly the aluminum ring land has a shorter life span, due to the extreme cylinder pressures a Diesel produces.

Thanks, I ran forged pistons in 2 strokes for years, with only issue being allow a little more clearance. Fair to say the forged pistons will last 100k??

Forged pistons on street trucks isn't normally recommended. We learned this back in the late 70's whene forged was the craze. The clearance issues needed to run the forged pistons are not a good match for a daily driver that will see 1000's of miles yearly. For a purely competition truck they are great but I wouldn't run a forged piston for a daily driver unless you don't mind freshing up the engine frequently.

Well it is a dedicated puller, define freshening up? New rings, bearings, seal? Or frequent replacement of forged pistons?

Replacing rings and checking the cylinders..... Pistons should last a long time.

They need to be setup with a larger clearance than non-forged pistons. The extra clearance is what needs to be addressed.

The newer alloys containing more silicon, do not expand at the same rate of conventional billet forgings. Additional clearance does need to be added, for an increase in cylinder pressure above OE specifications. I used Mahle cast pistons in the last engine I built and added 0.0015 to the piston/wall clearance. Same applies to the ring end gap. I am sure the piston manufacturer supplies the specs. I was going to use Ross pistons, when I called they had never made a set, but said they could. Sorry didn't feel like being a guinea pig, been one of those enough as it is. Hopefully, they have some out there now, with good results.

Bobcat, Can you measure and tell me how many mm's down the top ring is located on those pistons??

44.45 mm down from the top of crown for the top ring?? Stock is 8mm and 10mm for the 190 - 210 hp range. Industrial is 14mm. From the pics you posted it did not appear to be that far. I am looking into the industrial pistons to see how they might work out. Anyone look at these???

Sarge1 said:
44.45 mm down from the top of crown for the top ring?? Stock is 8mm and 10mm for the 190 - 210 hp range. Industrial is 14mm. From the pics you posted it did not appear to be that far. I am looking into the industrial pistons to see how they might work out. Anyone look at these???

:doh: 19.05mm is the correct number.

Thats a better number, Thanks. Those are some nice pieces with a hefty price. How much lighter are they from stockers?

Im curious to see when a monotherm type piston with the reduced skirts is available to the B's

While I don't have a stock piston to weigh, these pistons weigh 1079 grams.

I don't know weight either. Thanks for the info. They should work rather well.

I think Ross and Arias don't have steel ring landings and therefore on a daily driver can gouge the aluminum and cause the rings to stick and hence, blowby.

Ok, some pricing:
$1475 for the set of 6
$140 for full-piston top fuel green anodized coating
$260 for anodized piston with ceramic heat barrier on top
$150 for ceramic-coated piston top
$150 for rings, Akerly & Childs hellfire rings (what I used, others are available)

Price for pistons as shown in picture:
$1760 plus freight.

3 week wait time on non-coated pistons.
Add 1 week to total time if you have them coated or anodized.

Price is for any compression/any bore that you can fit in a 5.9L Cummins.
Same price & availability for a 24 valve or Commonrail.

Last edited:
group buy? tax time is here and it seems some people are interested.

Just throwing it out there.

Jeremie

FireMed said:
group buy? tax time is here and it seems some people are interested.

Just throwing it out there.

Jeremie

Maybe.. Those prices are about rock bottom, I'll have to talk to Ross and see what it would take.

Back