New "race" truck project

Johnelliott52

I have been a 1st gener for a couple of years now and love to consult this forum for any questions I have. Fortunetly most of the questions I have had are already answered so I havent been much of a poster. Now I am working on a strictly "race" truck. Four 1st gens later I am now in a better position to play. I have tweaked on them all a little but nothing like I have in the works for this one. I have a few picture of the work done so far I bought it a fixer upper and it is now well on its way. Its a 1989 5speed bought it for $1800 with a leaking injection pump, blown turbo, missing driverside motor mount, and only 1 brake working. Within the first few days I replaced the motormounts, front rotors, brake pads, driverside caliper, fixed non-working tailights/brake lights, new h1c from a 93 truck, and got it driveable. Now for the good stuff..... (already on) 16x8 powedercoated wheels on the rear with 28x11.5 mickey thompson et streets, 215/65/16 front tires on the cleaned up painted stock wheels, 3in lowering schakles, 5in hood stack, and some Pirate diesel stickers, brand new injection pump, 3/8in fuel lines from intank draw straw to pump, holley blue for lift pump, pump to head, boost gauge, and egt gauge... (goin on in a week or so) .065 copper head gasket, new head bolts torqued to 125lbs, big water meth kit, 60mm gds, 16cm housing..... Depending on how all of this goes, what you guys think about it, and if I am happy with the outcome then I will asses the next steps to take. Let me know what yall think and I will try to get some more pictures of the truck and goodies.:st:

Thanks for listening to me babble...
truck3.jpg

truck2.jpg

truck1.jpg

tires.jpg

stack.jpg

lowered.jpg

Dont worry JQ I have a nitrous system in the works im debating on installing... Especilly if I can get it for free... I am also debating a twin set up, I can get a 71mm inducer 102 exducer CAT turbo with no shaft play for freebie aswell. The only thing about the turbo is it has a t6 1.30a/r turbine housing, Kinda big I think... I really just need to quit doing anything and just swap the transmissions in my trucks so I and have a proper tow vehicle and proper race truck.:blahblah1:

Well got the 60mm GDS compressor wheel and the 16cm housing on today spool is WAY better and it sounds alot meaner. While I was in there and feelin good I had a spare grid heater laying around so I gutted it and threw it on. I also installed one water/meth nozzle and turned the fuel screw in a turn, the fuel pin to the maximum travel, turned the star wheel in all the way, and installed a lighter weight spring in the afc. Test drove it.... WOW what a differance, its almost monster status :snoop: SO seeing as how that wasnt enough i put the other water meth nozzle I had in there too... Even more monster mode... Needless to say Im very pleased, gotta ease into it though because it has no problem slippin the clutch... Upgade time :ft::st::rockwoot:

Well *nx* time... I pieced together a kit... .157 selinoid, purge selinoid, 10lbs bottle, line (not sure what size), nitrous tap, fogger, and a .096 and .130 nozzles, boost activated switch.... Im pretty excited about it seeing as how its all in good condition and only cost $100.... Now for the questions, seeing as how I am running stock injectors and quite a bit of water/meth which nozzle do I use.. Or are both of these too big and i should go for more of a .076... I know injectors would help but I dont have them yet and I wanna play... Another thing I am worried about is my 16cm non-wastegated turbo slinging itself apart... If yu guys think it will eat the turbo let me know and I can round up a 50mm External gate if need be... Thanks yall*nx*

I know I hit 35psi with both internal and external gates open, and 52psi with two .135's, so I'd be careful to start unless you want to pick up turbo pieces. I would get everything set up and pay the $75 for a few dyno runs. It will be worth the $$ to see what works best.

Well went to put my timing back to stock so i could spray the nitrous and be a little safer for the drag strip and.... NO start... I have done it a hundred times and of coarse the day I wanted it to work i wanted take it to the strip... Anyways after taking the pump off and resetting it twice a gave up fo the day and just took my DD and ran a 10.7 in the 1/8th not to bad for an open rearend and street tires spinning away, All its got is the intake horn from an 05 common rail and the fuel screw in 3 turns...

Update on the race truck

I finally got the timing straight, and its running great, boosts more than ever and has a smooth power climb all the way up. I am in good with this machine shop and they're making me a spacer like engineered diesel for my 50mm wategate. Since I didnt have the wastegate on yet I was a little nervous to put the spray to it with the .073 nozzle so I put in my .038 nozzle and decided to give it a go. Holy geez!!! I know that shot sounds real small but with the big selinoid, lines, 900psi in the bottle, and coupled with the water/meth it is impossible to even think about getting traction. I have the water/meth and nitrous both on boost referance switchs. The water/meth comes on at 10lbs and the nitrous comes on around 20lbs. Hits at or a little below 50lbs of boost and you better hold on.. Needless to say I am very happy... hope it doesnt blow the head gasket but even if it does its good to know I have a .068 copper one waiting to go on. Hittin the track tomorrow and I'll let yall know what it does, theres this 6.4 powerstroke boy with a bullydog, exhaust,and intake that is gonna be there too.. I'll see if I can whoop up on him a little if I can shift it fast enough.

I love it actually, I really havent had it more than a couple weeks so I cant give any long term reviews but its great looking and quick response on both boost and egt. Cant complain

Race ready. Ill post up the results tonight Ill try and get a video and if not I will definetly post a picture of the time slip.
raceready.jpg

Well hit the track and... I feel pretty happy about it. I was running better without the nitrous because my poor stock clutch was slipping horrible, expected though. My best water/meth only pass was a fairly quick 9.4.. So granted shifting gears, slipping clutch, stock injectors, and no nitrous I feel good about it.. love to here yalls input.
timeslip.jpg

Pretty good 60ft for a stick. what gear are you launching in? You need a built auto and you'll do a lot better. Try the 71mm with the nitrous on a wot switch then have it shut off with the hobbs switch at 50psi.

Pretty good project I ran a 9.2 with a stock intercooled truck turned all the way up with a HX-35, with street tires. I had a valair tho makes a huge diffrence! The I got board put on a p-pump ran a best of 8.4. Iv got a 66mm now and I ran a 13.4 in the 1/4 and a 8.6 in the 1/8 kinda hard to get moving in a 5 speed with that big turbo. I'm hoping for 13.0 with my five speed then I'll be happy! Keep us updated on the truck!

Which Velair do you have I was considering one but I plan on a lot more mods and wanted to keep a single disc but didnt know what would hold up the best. I can shift without it dropping below 20psi and I think a dual disk would be to hard to shift fast.

Do you plan to keep racing with the manual transmission? I appreciate the budget theme and racing is fun with either tranny, just sucks to work so hard to go fast but leave so much on the table with the manual transmission handicap.

Do you have any idea how much the truck weighs?

It all depends on how fast you can shift...4warned can run within a tenth or two of most autos (if not faster) in his Duramax. The time and mph match up pretty well, and the 60ft isn't bad...I'm waiting for a vid, I bet this dude can shift pretty well.

Back