NHRA vs Street Outlaws

oldestof11

Drag racer
c47f23ddb0aca692ba31b1d3ed2dea0c.jpg

I know its making rounds.

:pop:

Not a fan of street outlaws. Fake reality tv is too much of an oxymoron for my brain to handle.

I take it like this:

1. The NHRA really shouldn't condone something like "street racing" even if it is fake (real to too many people on that book face post). The org was founded on the idea of eliminating street racing.

2. The show isn't phucking real so people who are getting all sorts of butthurt about it who simply watch the tv show cracks me up but makes me a little sad inside at the same time. People will fight for "what they believe in" with a tv show all day long but come election time they had too many Hamms and cheetos to get their azz outta bed.

Anyway....its a fukin fake reality tv show. End rant.

LOL

I agree with a lot of what he says. That is a great article. However, I do not agree with the show whatsoever. Closed road and all of that aside they are glorifying street racing. Which when the average man who watches the show goes out and tries it there isn't an ambulance on scene and the cops certainly do not shut down the road for them.

Chew on this:

Remember the chit fit that was thrown in the diesel scene when a certain someone was drinking a beer on camera launching his duramax? He was apparently in a driveway but everybody got pissed because we all know how it rubs off on the younger guys who look up to him. Same thing here.

I agree with a lot of what he says. That is a great article. However, I do not agree with the show whatsoever. Closed road and all of that aside they are glorifying street racing. Which when the average man who watches the show goes out and tries it there isn't an ambulance on scene and the cops certainly do not shut down the road for them.

Chew on this:

Remember the chit fit that was thrown in the diesel scene when a certain someone was drinking a beer on camera launching his duramax? He was apparently in a driveway but everybody got pissed because we all know how it rubs off on the younger guys who look up to him. Same thing here.
Tickets are outrageous, same people racing and winning, those that don't win built the car that did, they only show most popular class and let the rest languish. Then there's NASCAR...

I'm sorry but NHRA doesnt show anything that people want to see like door cars. They can't relate to the multimillion dollar teams.

On one hand, I agree that street racing shouldn't be condoned.

On the other hand, why is NHRA paying its president $770k/yr and not creating something people want to watch? I bet they're more upset over the revenue lost or untapped than they are about "illegal" street racing.

Tickets are outrageous, same people racing and winning, those that don't win built the car that did, they only show most popular class and let the rest languish. Then there's NASCAR...

I'm sorry but NHRA doesnt show anything that people want to see like door cars. They can't relate to the multimillion dollar teams.

On one hand, I agree that street racing shouldn't be condoned.

On the other hand, why is NHRA paying its president $770k/yr and not creating something people want to watch? I bet they're more upset over the revenue lost or untapped than they are about "illegal" street racing.

I agree they're more upset over lost revenue based on the tv ratings and lack of spectators but in the end everything is about the money. As unfortunate as that may sound. Does anybody honestly think discovery is showing this racing so people have opportunity to watch everyday door cars? No. They show it because it nets them massive profits. Heck in the interview posted he said his sponsors cannot even afford the have a 30 second commercial due to the cost.

In the end the NHRA is about money like discovery is. For the racers on street outlaws to be upset because the NHRA is purely about the money is pure irony. The second discovery sees the profits disappear the show will be cancelled and at that point where does that leave the racers? It leaves them angry because in the end it is about the money. Can anyone really blame the NHRA? If people aren't willing to come to the races where they can watch something other than top fuel then they cannot afford to operate by purely showing it on television. Hints why diesel racing is not on the big networks. Its the azzes in the seats and the competitors that pay the bills. If people aren't willing to go to the events in person and pay the ticket price then they shouldn't be complaining when they can't see it on TV.

I agree that I would love to see more door cars on tv and I really wish diesel racing was on TV but I know I can go watch those events in person or stop moaning.

The world revolves around money and it is a fact of life. Lifes a bich and then you marry one.

:Cheer:

Its just like all the other shows. Moonshiners for example is showing illegal making of alcohol and guys running from the cops. Next it will be about illegal weed growers or something else along those lines. People like to watch stuff where they think any minute someone is going to get busted and hauled of to jail. It ads a bit of excitement knowing it could all go south. Now, take those same cars put them on a drag strip instead of a closed street, with the same setup and I bet NO ONE watches and the show is cancelled. It all falls back to people like watching illegal stuff because its forbidden/taboo so to speak.

Last edited:
Look at NHRA ProStock, great racing, but its like watching paint dry. Most people go take a p!ss or get a cheeseburger at this time.
Then turn your attention to Duck's Races...Flying cars, grudge racing, door slammers, and the dude down the street from you can own one....Packed stands for four days. Why? Because it's exciting to watch, and you don't know what you're going to miss if you get up to take a p!ss. The drivers talk sh!t to each other, there are real staging wars, people bet thousands of dollars on one pass, and you don't have to see John Force's teeth...

I would (and do) spend my money watching radial cars instead of going to NHRA races, same thing applies to the show.

Last edited:
Its just like all the other shows. Moonshiners for example is showing illegal making of alcohol and guys running from the cops. Next it will be about illegal weed growers or something else along those lines. People like to watch stuff where they think any minute someone is going to get busted and hauled of to jail. It ads a bit of excitement knowing it could all go south. Now, take those same cars put them on a drag strip instead of a closed street, with the same setup and I bet NO ONE watches and the show is cancelled. It all falls back to people like watching illegal stuff because its forbidden/taboo so to speak.

No doubt that is what draws people to it. Heck ax men wouldn't be all that exciting without that whiner Rygard (no idea on spelling) throwing fits every other second. Drama and excitement draws viewers. Doesn't mean I would be upset if the guys on moonshiners got a letter from drug and alcohol stating they do not condone their behavior.

The whole reason I am so vocal on the subject is that people who know nothing about drag racing are now seasoned vets because they watched a couple seasons of street outlaws. They know nothing about the NHRA and have never attended an event but they blatantly bash the organization simply because their favorite tv character is doing it. The racers themselves have two options: accept the fact they could be banished from organized racing once their tv career is over or stop doing what they are doing.

Look at NHRA ProStock, great racing, but its like watching paint dry. Most people go take a p!ss or get a cheeseburger at this time.
Then turn your attention to Duck's Races...Flying cars, grudge racing, door slammers, and the dude down the street from you can own one....Packed stands for four days. Why? Because it's exciting to watch, and you don't know what you're going to miss if you get up to take a p!ss. The drivers talk sh!t to each other, there are real staging wars, people bet thousands of dollars on one pass, and you don't have to see John Force's teeth...

I would (and do) spend my money watching radial cars instead of going to NHRA races, same thing applies to the show.

LOL Guys mouth drives me insane when he is on TV.

Yeah the show is horrible for the sport of drag racing! (sarcasm)

I have never seen any representation of the NHRA on the show but maybe I missed it. I do not remember a back ground check to get a comp license. So what's next you go do something that takes away from the NHRA at a PDRA or IHRA event they threaten to yank your license also?

I am curious to see how the SO sponsors who also participate in NHRA sponsorships respond..

Another way to look at this. How would we like it if they started threatening to yank licenses of guys who race diesels because of the black smoke environmental image?

I mean we are not setting a good image for the young straight bill kids running around in diesel trucks right?

Last edited:
Top Fuel spouts fire...can't get any worse than that!

Timbeaux is a huge fan of John Force.....and Kid Rock come to think of it.

Top Fuel spouts fire...can't get any worse than that!

Ahh but yes its only flames contained between two barriers and a fence so its no biggie. :lolly:

I also crack up at those who claim how much more dangerous it is. Hitting a concrete barrier at 200+ mph with people behind a chain link fence for 660' or more is much better than a corn field or a curb while having no one past the starting area.

Better than those pesky monster truck tires flying over rows and rows of seats into the fans.

I totally agree and couldn't have said it better.

Back