Nitrous, Wastegates, & Turbo Death

duke1n

Banned
Bring up nitrous with your favorite turbo builder and watch the:doh: .

What kills turbos when using nitrous? Substantial increase in exhaust energy which translates into over speeding of the turbine and ka-poof!?

So what to do if you want to run a tight turbine for good drivability but also want to put the squeeze to it? Are the internal gates large enough to prevent instant boost creep when you hit the gas? Can you run an external that is too large and flows too much that would cause very quick and dramatic loss in drive pressure?

Ramblings of an idle mind...

change turbo builders then dumbass! :D I am sooooooo helpful! you need an external gate if you want to run a big blast, my opinion and a few others.

That’s where Nitrous shines, run a larger turbo, and use the nitrous to get up on the turbo. There is some really great ways to be creative in waste gate management on a Nitrous application, really easy to accomplish.

The I I silver bullet 62 or 64 really is very streetable with a stock motor and nitrous, along with the addition of a good wastegate and a few tricks, that most of the top NX guy’s use. For a big HP engine the silver bullet 66 is just as responsive when you combine head work and camshaft. And a small amount of NX (.125) it’s easy to make 850 to 900 hp and with careful tuning a 1000 is well with in reach. This is also much more of a option with a CR , the variable timing curve really gives you the widest range of tuning not possible in the past.

LOL Shane is the man and Industrial Injection will treat you right. Tell me a turbo builder that doesn't cringe when you tell them you plan on spinning that thing a little harder on squeeze lol.

High Tech Turbo, Turbonetics, Garrett, shall I continue sir? I am sending a crazy guy your way on bombers. His name is Prozac, prepare yourself!

Uh huh in fact I spoke with HTT today regarding cutting and welding on my HTT manifold. When I mentioned the N word he suddenly went silent.... haha

who did you talk to? talk to paul. Jeff Garmon made 1055 using nitrous and a single Sledpuller 66 at 72psi

I talked to a lot of people on their turbo’s and nitrous, but Brady was the only one to take a chance and experiment, its is amazing what a little work can make happen I worked with Brady and Shane for almost two years on the evolution on that truck. The bigger the turbo the better it runs. if it hade a CR system with 5500 rpm’s it would be even more incredible

So the question is can you run a tighter turbine like the 62 so it's not a lag pig, and still shoot a large load of nitrous at it without over speeding it and going poof? Was just wondering if having a large external gate would make it a little safer and mitigate against boost creep?

chicken or the egg, it could go either way. If you like the commies thats coo with me brotha. ;)

duke1n said:
So the question is can you run a tighter turbine like the 62 so it's not a lag pig, and still shoot a large load of nitrous at it without over speeding it and going poof? Was just wondering if having a large external gate would make it a little safer and mitigate against boost creep?
Safety margin. Don't waste your time with the 62. Run the 66 and work your way up. You'll end up spraying it hard with a large wastegate.

brandon.

Could a person use a BOV / BYPASS instead of a gate if set to open at a given boost ??

Yes, but that's just gonna drive the charger harder! BOV/Bypasses make EGT's higher, drive pressure higher, and take mucho efficiency out of the chargers!

Use a wastegate...it's just better!
Chris

Brandon, I would go with the larger 66 but I hate laggy turbos. Probably preferable for a track truck where you can use nitrous to get it going but for a street racer, wouldn't that 66 be a pig? I'm doing port work and a cam but not sure if that would be enough to make that 66 spool decent?

Spool is subjective... I'm really not a good indicator since I don't mind a GT42 (B2-sized) spool on the street. To me a 66 spools about as good as the stock 'charger and I like it.

brandon.

So if the silver 62 & 66 have the same turbine side, why would the 66 be preferable if running nitrous? Seems like maybe you'd get quicker spool with 62 with smaller/lighter compressor wheel when driving around on the street and then hit the gas when you need a little extra air for taking down those pesky 6.0s?

duke1n said:
Brandon, I would go with the larger 66 but I hate laggy turbos. Probably preferable for a track truck where you can use nitrous to get it going but for a street racer, wouldn't that 66 be a pig? I'm doing port work and a cam but not sure if that would be enough to make that 66 spool decent?

Go with a modified GT40R from forcedinductions. They build several in the 64mm-70mm range and they are all dual ball bearing.

I dunno if they are the same turbine or a/r housing. I would really recommend a 66mm after running 62's and 66's on the same trucks... it will allow for more on the top end.

brandon.

Back