Nitrous, Wastegates, & Turbo Death

The first turbo I put on my truck was a htb2-62/12. I was running arround 450-475 hp and it spooled almost like stock. Next I switched the turbine housing to a 14cm2 and lost a little off idle and didn't gain anything noticable. I had the waste gates on both set arround 42 psi. With the hp I'm now running the 66/14 spools about as quickly as the 62/12. Great street turbo and at 50 lbs boost really cools things down.

I have ran both a 62/12 htb2 and now I am running a Silver bullet 66 . The 62 was very resonsive on the bottom and was great for stop light street racing. But it is all about how fast you want to go? The 62 just don't make enough air to go real fast. I love my silver bullet, I tow my old truck to the track for back up with my race truck, it is great for towing. and it spools almost as fast as the 62.
I spray a small shot of nitrous with my 66 and I have not reached its limits yet, it just pushes gobs of air. I would opt for the bigger charger if I were you.

Interesting... I tried a SPS66 awhile back and it was a lag pig. The 64 was light years quicker.

Toolman, so the SB62 & 66 have the same turbine side. Seems like the 62 would do exactly what you suggest and make a great stop light turbo. When you go to the strip and want to run out on top, why not just spray a little more? Wouldn't that give you the air that might be lacking on top?

duke1n said:
Interesting... I tried a SPS66 awhile back and it was a lag pig. The 64 was light years quicker.

Toolman, so the SB62 & 66 have the same turbine side. Seems like the 62 would do exactly what you suggest and make a great stop light turbo. When you go to the strip and want to run out on top, why not just spray a little more? Wouldn't that give you the air that might be lacking on top?

The nitrous wont make any more air it just helps ignite the fuel and cools the charge, although because you are getting better burn it will spin the turbo faster
but the 62 will only push so much air, My 62 would make about 47 psi the best I ran with it was 12.8 on #2 the 66 bullet makes 58 psi and my best time no spray 12.25 every thing else was the same .

Hmmmm so not to be argumentive but...The reason we even run turbo chargers is to provide additional oxygen to the combustion process right? Nitrous also provides additional oxygen to the combustion process as well. Hence the term "turbo in a bottle". Someone who stayed awake in chemistry class needs to jump in here lol. So let me ask this... Given psi does not equal volume of air I don't think there would be enough oxygen in air compressed to 58psi in your particular application to make 800hp. I bet there is enough oxygen (given you have the fuel) in air that is combined with nitrous oxide and compressed to 58psi in your application to make 800hp. How is that? I don't want a 62 to make more than 47psi right. I want the wastegate to open so that is doesn't over speed when nitrous is injected. The turbo is providing all the volume of air & oxygen that it is capable of and now I would expect the nitrous oxide to provided the additional oxygen to further combust the intake charge and make more HP. The entire basis of my hypothesis is that I utilize a smaller responsive turbo to make stop light racing fun and then when I need extra oxygen to ring it out on the top end at the track, I provide that with the nitrous and not by running a bigger turbo that is a laggy on the street. Where am I going wrong?

duke1n said:
Hmmmm so not to be argumentive but...The reason we even run turbo chargers is to provide additional oxygen to the combustion process right? Nitrous also provides additional oxygen to the combustion process as well. Hence the term "turbo in a bottle". Someone who stayed awake in chemistry class needs to jump in here lol. So let me ask this... Given psi does not equal volume of air I don't think there would be enough oxygen in air compressed to 58psi in your particular application to make 800hp. I bet there is enough oxygen (given you have the fuel) in air that is combined with nitrous oxide and compressed to 58psi in your application to make 800hp. How is that? I don't want a 62 to make more than 47psi right. I want the wastegate to open so that is doesn't over speed when nitrous is injected. The turbo is providing all the volume of air & oxygen that it is capable of and now I would expect the nitrous oxide to provided the additional oxygen to further combust the intake charge and make more HP. The entire basis of my hypothesis is that I utilize a smaller responsive turbo to make stop light racing fun and then when I need extra oxygen to ring it out on the top end at the track, I provide that with the nitrous and not by running a bigger turbo that is a laggy on the street. Where am I going wrong?

I didn't ever spray with the 62 so I don't really know if it would be possible it would be interesting to see. What I am saying is I think the 62 might be the restriction in the process of the engine taking in enough air to go that fast or make that much power. I think you need a certain volume of air plus the nitrous to make that much power. I guess that is why we expirment with different setups .

I find it odd when people say a SPS 66 is a lag pig because it is not a lag pig in my truck. Makes me really courious what upgrading to a Silver Bullet would do.

Jim

Jim fill out your sig, You might have more than some of us do. I lke my FS64 but I know I could do twins, I'm not for Nos you have to keep filling it up, to me its chepper inthe long run with twins

Jim Fulmer said:
I find it odd when people say a SPS 66 is a lag pig because it is not a lag pig in my truck. Makes me really courious what upgrading to a Silver Bullet would do.Jim
Lag is a very subjective term. You would be the first person who I've ever heard say the 66 is not laggy. I know several guys that run them that love them but will admit they are not the most responsive turbo out there. I'm at 5500 feet to which doesn't help either. I'm trying a silver 62 at Shane's recommendation since he knows what he built for my previous 64/14 turbo and how they would compare. We'll see I guess how it works. The question still remains why not go a little tight on the turbo which would make it a whole lot more fun zipping around town and then shoot nitrous at it to wind it out on top when at the track on kill? My only concern is the wastegate will be too small to keep up with the extra exhaust energy and boost creep will allow the thing to over speed and go pop.

remember he is running a 12valve, and you are running a 24v at altitude. My 62/14 is god awful quick to begin el spoolo and I am tempted to try a 66, PRO STREET 66 that is ;) to see if it will spool as well. I figure I will lose about 200rpm by going to the 66 over the 62 I have now. Paul at HTT told me that I could safely run a 62 up to 65psi and beyond if I wanted to and it should hold up just fine.

The Phat Shaft 66 is not laggy. It spooled slightly slower than a HX35 on 98 12v, but not a laggy 'charger in my opinion. A laggy turbo would be a S400 or any 'charger needing nitrous to spool.

Nice to see you over here on CompD, Jim- What's your current turbo setup? Is it the same one you dyno'ed in Texas last fall?

brandon.

LMAO BS dude. The 66 is a laggy and don't even come close to lighting like a HX35 come on lol. You guys are the same dudes who would consider running an S400 as a single lol. To each his own but a turbo that don't get going until 2000rpms is one lag pig on the street. An HX will take off at 1500 and there ain't no 66 that comes even remotely close to that. Oh my god lmao.

A buddy of mine has a 66/12 from Gillett diesel in a 05 , and it lightes faster than a 35, I couldnt beleive it untill i rode in it the other day cruzen under slighty load hes making 20lbs no boxes on, it tops out almost 70 with boxes , there r about 5 trucks in my area with the same turbo cept they run 64 , I dunno what they do but on there site they something about quick spooling options

Well I found there page http://www.gdsdieselparts.com/s-300_(b1_2)_turbos.htm

Last edited:
I'd like to slap whoever came up with the diamondplate background that makes reading that site so hard.....now that I got that out of my system one of those might be interesting to try. And 1700rpm spool is that considered a lag pig Mike? You arent doing yourself any favors in the spoolo department by going to an OTTO.

Last edited:
With a 12cm housing I bet it does. That's a little too tight for me. My old b1-2 spooled almost like a 35. A buddy's kwikspool b1 spooled pretty good too. Problem was that with a 12cm housing it got pretty toasty at the 500hp level. If there's a 66 with 14cm housing that lights off at 1700 I'm interested. My 64/14 gets going around 17-1800. The 66 I tried would not get going until 2000+ That's a lag pig in my book.

talk to your beloved Shane about a Silver Bullett then ya whiney *****! that should light fast enough for your picky ass! hehe did I got to far on the insults? I can never tell!

LMAO if I was a mini trucker, Ferd owner, I would be callin you out about right now for a show down at the OK I mean King Ranch Corral.

duke1n said:
LMAO BS dude. The 66 is a laggy and don't even come close to lighting like a HX35 come on lol. You guys are the same dudes who would consider running an S400 as a single lol. To each his own but a turbo that don't get going until 2000rpms is one lag pig on the street. An HX will take off at 1500 and there ain't no 66 that comes even remotely close to that. Oh my god lmao.
Consider? I am running a s400-sized charger as a single. LOL Yes, it's laggy, but nothing like a quick spool II PS66. Think about it this way too- automatic trucks don't loose boost between shifts...

brandon.

LOL you know I was just thinking about that fact last night. I may just try a Silver 66 after all. The sucky part would be if an 89% converter is tight enough to not let it get up on the turbo at the line. Sure you could squirt a little nitrous at it but that would suck as a daily driver. I have no idea where a Suncoast 89% will want to stall at?

joefarmer said:
The Phat Shaft 66 is not laggy. It spooled slightly slower than a HX35 on 98 12v, but not a laggy 'charger in my opinion. A laggy turbo would be a S400 or any 'charger needing nitrous to spool.

Nice to see you over here on CompD, Jim- What's your current turbo setup? Is it the same one you dyno'ed in Texas last fall?

brandon.

Fall of 05'.....nope, fall of 06' it was broke again.....Cam! It's back running now with a borrowed stock cam but doing fine.

Jim

Back