Nitrous, Wastegates, & Turbo Death

On the SPS 66, I don't consider it anything like laggy but I do know how to tune a 12V and it's now about smoke or huge smoke to spool a turbo up! This is the same turbo I have been running for over 2 years, I first had it with a Big Brother in Twins, but went to a single last summer and had a small N2O system given to me. The one and only time I dynoed with it I was at 611 On #2 only with 370's and 791 with N2O, this was with no water/meth as it did light off (another issue that day) and the N2O is an .063 solenoid with no jet!

The next time I went to the dyno (load dyno) I was at 591 on #2 when the cam snapped......good times, so never got a chance to really tune it when everything was working right........motor tuned to perfection, water/meth working right, bottle warmed up to 1150 psi ect and with the big injectors....that was the plan that day (2 sets of 3 pulls).

I was concerned about the boost level on the bottle (62) so I had Shane do me a ported housing up, that dropped it back to 55 but if I add the big injectors now it's back to 60........and runs just as crazy as it can be......a second stage would be insane.

Jim

12 Valves spool turbos best, CR second and the 24 is a distant third.

Duke is @ 5000' ASL. Spool up chages are dramatic up there.

Don M said:
12 Valves spool turbos best, CR second and the 24 is a distant third.

Duke is @ 5000' ASL. Spool up chages are dramatic up there.
What causes that and what makes each of the three work better/worse?

I have a friend here in Denver that runs one of the very first 66s Shane built on his 500hp CR. It defintely spooled a little better for him that it did for me. That said, it was still a lot slower to get moving than my b1-2 or my 64/14.

Well, 12v's just pour the fuel in to spool them!
CR's squirt fuel at "just" the right time to spool them nicely!
VP 24v's wait for boost to come on before really throwing the fuel at them...of corse boxes and injectors help get more fuel in there, but they just aren't the same as the other two. From what I've seen, the SMARTY really help things along!

Chris

12vchevydually said:
Don, I see the First gen guys didn't even make the list, LOL.
So do the first gens have turbos? :eek:wned: :hehe:

brandon.

Guys I like these discussions and don't feel like I'm just trying to be contrary but lol... I don't buy that reasoning that 12vs spool turbos better just because they can drown the engine in fuel. With my VP truck I can mash it with no boost and it will actually take longer to spool than if I carefully roll into it and not dump so much fuel as to put the fire out. There is a noticeable difference by rolling into it verse just mashing it. When I read people talking about how much more smoke the smarty makes down low and how it helps their truck spool, I can only assume that they didn't have anything doing boost fooling and therefor their trucks feel a little better off out of the hole. I don't have a smarty but with a Comp and Mach6s, I can turn day into night pretty easy by being impatient with the right foot. Sure doesn't make it spool the turbo better when I do it either. I'm guessing that injection and cam timing play a much larger roll in spooling turbos than just pouring fuel in off boost.

I've been paying attention ha. What I have not been able to figure out is why I need more timing than the Comp provides. It acts like it borders on too much down low already? Let me go post a question I have been pondering in that thread...

In my engine when static injection timing increased, it became progressively harder to spool before stalling the turbo. With stock injection timing the truck started instantly and spooled the GT42 at 1600 rpm but EGT > 1500F on spool. With more timing, the GT42 quit spooling without nitrous since the converter is too tight, but it spooled at 1200F.

brandon.

Smokem said:
Ding ding, hence the reason of my current interest.

I forgot about the cam timing being retarded in the 24v's over the 12's...of course the CR's are retarded even more IIRC!

Chris

Mine will not drown the motor with fuel! One thing is the pump is not that radical, the other is it takes 35 psi for it to get full fuel......allows it to walk up on the turbo.

Jim

I forget Jim but your's is a 12v right? "Walking up" on the turbo is a big key responsiveness on my truck as well as not driving around pissing people off with big smoke clouds. A little puff here and there is ok but blacking out intersections ain't near as cool as some people let themselves think it is. I've never ran my comp on any sub setting other than 5. Maybe lower levels would help with easy the fuel in instead of drowning it. Have to play around with it...

I want a supercharger lol.

So do the first gens have turbos?

brandon.

Brandon, that was a good one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

duke1n said:
Hmmmm so not to be argumentive but...The reason we even run turbo chargers is to provide additional oxygen to the combustion process right? Nitrous also provides additional oxygen to the combustion process as well. Hence the term "turbo in a bottle". Someone who stayed awake in chemistry class needs to jump in here lol. So let me ask this... Given psi does not equal volume of air I don't think there would be enough oxygen in air compressed to 58psi in your particular application to make 800hp. I bet there is enough oxygen (given you have the fuel) in air that is combined with nitrous oxide and compressed to 58psi in your application to make 800hp. How is that? I don't want a 62 to make more than 47psi right. I want the wastegate to open so that is doesn't over speed when nitrous is injected. The turbo is providing all the volume of air & oxygen that it is capable of and now I would expect the nitrous oxide to provided the additional oxygen to further combust the intake charge and make more HP. The entire basis of my hypothesis is that I utilize a smaller responsive turbo to make stop light racing fun and then when I need extra oxygen to ring it out on the top end at the track, I provide that with the nitrous and not by running a bigger turbo that is a laggy on the street. Where am I going wrong?

A little late on the Draw -- I know, I'm thinking in the same direction. I would like to hear from anyone that has sprayed a 62 and also any detailed results. Mannors, specifics, numbers , burnout videos and whatever.
Surely somebody here has.

duke1n said:
Guys I like these discussions and don't feel like I'm just trying to be contrary but lol... I don't buy that reasoning that 12vs spool turbos better just because they can drown the engine in fuel. With my VP truck I can mash it with no boost and it will actually take longer to spool than if I carefully roll into it and not dump so much fuel as to put the fire out. There is a noticeable difference by rolling into it verse just mashing it. When I read people talking about how much more smoke the smarty makes down low and how it helps their truck spool, I can only assume that they didn't have anything doing boost fooling and therefor their trucks feel a little better off out of the hole. I don't have a smarty but with a Comp and Mach6s, I can turn day into night pretty easy by being impatient with the right foot. Sure doesn't make it spool the turbo better when I do it either. I'm guessing that injection and cam timing play a much larger roll in spooling turbos than just pouring fuel in off boost.

I agree with you! Converter tightness plays a huge roll too. I have had alot of differnt conveters loose to super tight and the loose ones spool way better! It all deppends on set up, my truck runs like a truck with twins, power is right there when I want it and I have a supper tight converter. My turbo has been to hell and back a few times with huge amounts of NOS and she holds fine. I just set my wastegate at 40 for racing and dyno and it may hit 50 or so. Just get a good turbo and it will hold! Also my turbo is very small 58 I belive and it has made 788 on the truck it came off of.

Back