No More Boot Problems For HotRodDiesels!

ramctd

AKA RamWheelsBy4
Michael at HotRodDiesels has blown boots off or had boots split pretty much every time out for the last year or so with the race truck. So far no form of clamps, hairspray, hillybilly or redneck engineering has been successful! LOL

This held on the top, but the bottom let go. :doh:

HRD-Engineering-1.jpg

So Michael decided that he would eliminate the issue all together. Plan is to hard mount the motor, add V-Band flanges to all turbo, intercooler, intake tubing and be done with it. He will float the intercooler by rubber shock mounts to allow the movement needed.

So last weekend I helped him with the project.

First hard mount the motor requires motor mounts to do it with. So he put the fabrication hat on and came up with this.

Standard motor mounts with the center shock removed:

motor-mounts-start.jpg

Cut and machine to spec 3 1/2 inch steel pipe for outer center pieces:

motor-mount-pipes.jpg

Cut and machine solid aluminum center inserts with bolt holes:

motor-mount-core.jpg

Freeze the aluminum inserts overnight so they would fit in outer pipe. Tap them in the morning. They are now a solid motor mount:

motor-mounts-complete.jpg

Measure, cut, weld v-band flanges on Intercooler:

Intercooler-flanges.jpg

Cut and add v-band flange to turbo housing. This also allowed some porting on the cold side output of the turbo:

turbo-flange.jpg

Finished welding up a couple more of the v-band flanges needed:

more-flanges.jpg

That is what was done when I had to leave Sunday night around 7:30pm. I haven't talked to Michael today, but I suspect that the rest of the flanges and new piping is complete.

I will update this thread with pictures of the completed project as soon as I get back down there.

The next time he hears a POP going down the track it will be a more serious issue. :hehe::hehe::hehe:

Very Nice. Its gonna make blowing his doors off that much sweeter.

the intercooler is supported, but is allowed to "float" slightly

if anything does crack, it will be repaired and braced/gusseted accordingly. I don't forsee any issues though

Any worries about cracking anything with the vibration??

Well that was my first question when he told me the plan. But with the intercooler able to move with the engine it is hard to tell what else will have enough movement to cause cracking/breaking.

But as I stated above:

The next time he hears a POP going down the track it will be a more serious issue.

We shall see. :pop:

IMHO, that's the only way to get them to hold 100%. It will probably still want to move a little. I know Michael is smarter than this, but make sure the transmission mount is completely solid now too.

But as I stated above:

The next time he hears a POP going down the track it will be a more serious issue.

We shall see. :pop:

yea that'd be my biggest fear.. Hopefully it won't be an issue though.

IMHO, that's the only way to get them to hold 100%. It will probably still want to move a little. I know Michael is smarter than this, but make sure the transmission mount is completely solid now too.

sounds like a good way to crack a transmission case/bell if the frame flexes between the engine and transmission

Very Nice. Its gonna make blowing his doors off that much sweeter.

Well being that you might be the only one to have fewer times down the track between engine rebuilds, I wouldn't be adding up my victories yet :hehe::hehe:

I just hope to see ya'll line up, launch how you want and not let off the accelerator until the 1/4 mile trap. That would be a win for both. Of course I don't think your light weight a$$ is enough to over come a real 12v race truck.:stab:

Thanks for all the nice responses.
John is a little premature in posting pics.
I was hoping to do some testing before we released the setup.
I notice there are a lot of speculation type of guys on here that are very willing to tell you what won't work but very few who will actually try stuff to see what happens. I have noticed most of the innovative stuff comes from the try it type of people.
I'm more of a do it and see what happens kind of guy so I will let you know if we have any problems.

Dal/Tim, bring it on big boy :stab:
I'm so looking forward to hanging/racing in the next few years.

Michael
HRD

i still like the idea of a couple of boots it the mix. but i would suggest some straight pieces of big truck radiator hose and then some straps between the pipes also. i have run miles of sanitary tubing with v band flanged ends. it seems to take vibration pretty good in the food processing plants, so it may work out like a champ. good luck with it, and this is from the guy who offered you the boot off my 98 up here at the dallas race last year. thoses boots are by far the worse to try to keep on.

Thanks for all the nice responses.
John is a little premature in posting pics.
I was hoping to do some testing before we released the setup.
I notice there are a lot of speculation type of guys on here that are very willing to tell you what won't work but very few who will actually try stuff to see what happens. I have noticed most of the innovative stuff comes from the try it type of people.
I'm more of a do it and see what happens kind of guy so I will let you know if we have any problems.

Dal/Tim, bring it on big boy :stab:
I'm so looking forward to hanging/racing in the next few years.

Michael
HRD

Don't get your panties in a bunch so quickly.. Nobody said it won't work.

May be apples to oranges, but in the gasser racing world if you use front and mid motor plates, then you either don't use a trans mount or you use a stock flexible one. The trans housing is usually the weak link...

If he had the motor plates I would agree with that but he only has solid motor mounts and not a mid plate its all R&D. If it works let me know as I would like some of those inserts.

we used to do the same back in the day with solid motor mounts... it was common knowledge not to run a solid tranny mount or you'd have cracked aluminum on your hands before too long :eek:

Looks like a very nice setup. I think its gonna work awesome. Looking forward for updates.

Back