not building enough boost ???

Ok, if I were to do this and it still only did 52, what would that mean ?

Messin with the gate on the manifold charger will not change overall boost much if you have enough fuel which you do,internal gated housings in a compound setup are useless in my mind.Your atmosphere charger will probally be 20 to 25 psi with your setup and the fuel you have,just judgeing this off of some builds ive done with close to the same setup.

now are you using just the internal gate of the top turbo or are you running a external waste gate? do you have a driver pressure gauge hooked up. drive pressure and boost pressure will be about 1:1 until the waste gate becomes a restriction and then the drive pressure will start to climb with no increase in boost pressure.

only the top is gated and it's internal. My DP gauge is only 60psi which I've found is a problem. Once I get spooled and get on it... the DP instantly slams over to 60

Ty on my truck i built last year i ran a silverbullet over 480 with spring gate on top turbo. No matter what i did it never seen above 60psi. Did 726 with a smoke out, but yet on street it cleared 150s instanly.

Maybe it has something to do with the dyno then ?? I did that hp and more with my single 66 though so I expected much more.

I would take the mp8 of and just run a fooler that plugs into the map like a quadzilla or something.If it flat lines at 50 on the street and will not go no more no matter how hard you push it ,that sounds like a electric problem to me.How much boost did the single 66 make you used to run.

That's a thought but, I've used it for years. The 66 I could run to 60psi but, ran it at 55 no problem. Not sure who I talked to at TS when I sent the MP-8 in but, he said he just recently had to rewrite the software cause he found issues on his truck. It wouldn't fool unless past 50% or more. Mine was doing the same thing so I sent it in. The fooler just fools the ECM so it doesn't throw codes. I wouldn't think it would prevent boost to build ???

just fyi....

180hp tips
dual pumps ( one a Floor it stage II )
lift psi never leaves the 18 to 20psi range
rail psi @ WOT 26K on the gauge

sound like enough fuel for these turbos ?

Messin with the gate on the manifold charger will not change overall boost much if you have enough fuel which you do,internal gated housings in a compound setup are useless in my mind.Your atmosphere charger will probally be 20 to 25 psi with your setup and the fuel you have,just judgeing this off of some builds ive done with close to the same setup.

He said his 1st stage is making 40 psi...

40 at the intake and 20 at the cold pipe..... 50 at the intake, 25 at the cold pipe. Can't get more

Yea i know the dyno i was on was a no load dyno. I rode the brakes just to spool it. I was expecting 800hp also.

question.... if the gates aren't closing completely, would that be a cause ? Don't know exact what the wastegate issue was with the SS housings but I know many had problems.

question.... if the gates aren't closing completely, would that be a cause ? Don't know exact what the wastegate issue was with the SS housings but I know many had problems.

It could cause a problem but you should have enough fuel to overun the gate on the street but maybe not on the dyno,try shutting it all the way down and see what it does.The only thing is if the truck is making the same boost on the dyno as the street I would think it is not turbo related ,unless something is just really wrong with the inside of that turbine housing more than just the gate.

well, I'll wait and see at the track I suppose. My seat o pants tells me it's a lot quicker with more TQ than with the single. I will be racing next weekend but, on the way home today I did a a 4x launch on a nice long straight away. It gets up and goes! The only thing I didn't like is I buried the egt gauge ( normal under those circumstances ) but, it's my understanding with twins as you get into higher gears the egt's should start to drop. Maybe I didn't go long enough to see that happen ??

I'm expecting better times than it ran before. At least 11.7/8. If I can't do that.... there's a problem

if the gate was hanging open than your secondary turbo would not be lighting since the exhaust is bypassing it. (issue i have on my buddies twins the external gate is hanging open.) if you have issues at numidia i'll give you a hand trying to straighten it out. i will be up at the track friday night i'm pretty sure they will be racing other cars friday night as well.

When I was having problems with the gate on my 66/16ss sealing, it didn't effect total boost much (still over 80psi), but it was really hard to spool. It's pretty easy to check. Just take the plate off of the exhaust housing, and check that both pucks are sealed. If the pucks piviot on the center bar, then it's the upgraded wastegate. The problem the old wastegates had, was that the shaft would bend and one of the pucks would not seal.

What rpm did you start the dyno run from?

Paul

X2 I blew the old gates right off broke the arm, and it would still make the same peak boost up high. And for that matter ran more free than ever in the upper Rpm's.

Just really hard to spool.

Your drives low as well. Almost positive its going to be a fueling issue.

Your drives low as well. Almost positive its going to be a fueling issue.

like what Joe ? I've never had problems with fueling. I really think I have plenty of fuel. I could probably get away with something more but, for now it should be ok.

Paul, the dyno sheet is over at my shop but, if I remember correctly... the run started at about 85mph.

I'm gonna take the wastegate a part today to see what I can find. I've not had a problem getting it spooled though. Nathan mentioned the HTT uses really thin wastegate cover gaskets and I may need the thicker one. From what I could see with a mirror yesterday.... that might be a spot it's leaking from.

Nathan mentioned the HTT uses really thin wastegate cover gaskets and I may need the thicker one. From what I could see with a mirror yesterday.... that might be a spot it's leaking from.

Nathan's right. The heat that goes through the large wastegate will sometimes warp the thin metal plate. I got a thicker one from Rip. He also has a stainless gasket, that helps keep it sealed. You sometimes have to look close for that leak.

Paul

ok, picture for you opinions. First thing I notice is, there was no gasket for the plate and the screw were fairly loose. There was hints of gasket sealer but, nothing significant. The back of the plate looks like exhaust was heading out the side in a couple places.

Are the gates the upgraded ones ? As you can see, there is a silver seal ring around the one side but, the other side and insides of the caps don't have much silver showing.

wastegate.jpg

wastegate2.jpg

wastegate3.jpg

wastegate4.jpg

Back