not building enough boost ???

That's the old style. Pucks look like they would have been sealing good enough. Wouldn't have hurt your total boost. Looks like the thin plate too. This a new turbo? Can't believe they are still sending that crap out.

That's the old style. Pucks look like they would have been sealing good enough. Wouldn't have hurt your total boost. Looks like the thin plate too. This a new turbo? Can't believe they are still sending that crap out.

Yeah I hear ya. Both turbos were brand new from BW. I sent them to HTT to be polished and upgraded. I found nothing was done to the 480 but, they put the SS housing on the other. I'm also surprised after all the trouble they had that they would still be using them.

What sucks is I need to get to a race next weekend and don't have time for this ! Like you said, I can't see what would be causing a lack of 30psi though

I wouldn't worry too much about the plate sealing on the exhaust housing, it doesn't look like it is leaking too much.

Have you put a drive pressure gauge on the truck to see where you are?

Edit: off the shelf turbo's aren't exactly perfect, as far as machining

I wouldn't worry too much about the plate sealing on the exhaust housing, it doesn't look like it is leaking too much.

Have you put a drive pressure gauge on the truck to see where you are?

Edit: off the shelf turbo's aren't exactly perfect, as far as machining

it may not have effected the lack of boost I'm seeing but, it sure was leaking. I was told by a couple folks that while it was on the dyno, exhaust was blowing out from under the truck. Right next to the plate, the SS oil feed line I have for the bottom turbo was caked with soot. I'm really surprised there was no gasket there.... is there suppose to be ?

if the plate and the mounting surface are completely flat, they shouldn't need any gasket. I have seen some with a BS coating of the high temp RTV, but I don't know if that does any good or not.

Stock there isn't a gasket. As Will said if, both are flat there wouldn't be a need. The "gasket" I got from Rip is more of a stainless shim, that protects the plate from heat as much as seals. He also has the thick plates (which I also run). The plates are also slightly different from the 13ss and the 16ss.

It is the old style, which seems to work fine in a single turbo enviroment, but does have problems on high EGT/hp twins. Yours does look like it is still sealing, but the plate was leaking big time. When the plate leaks it wil only effect the boost/drive of the bottom turbo, not the top. When the wastegate pucks leak it effect the top turbo spool up, and a slight amount of total boost.

My recommendation... Get a thicker plate and stainless gasket/shim, seal it with K&W Copper coat spray (or copper high temp RTV if you must), and run your race next weekend. Look to getting the new style wastegate, in the future. If you are making enough heat to warp the plate, it's probably only time that you will bend the waste gate arm.

Paul

makes total sense Paul... thanks. The top doesn't seem to have much problem spooling but, the bottom I thought did. If it's leaking out the plate, it's obviously taking more DP to get the bottom going. I'll have to give Rip a call unless Nathan or HTT has something similar.

Get a .91 t4 housing no gate ,redo hot pipe flange and a adapter or a t4 manifold and never worry again. But still dont think the turbos are the problem.If they are just get a cast 80 housing,scrap the stainless.

wouldn't DP and over speeding the top turbo then become an issue with no gates ? I do race the truck more than it's DD but, do DD it at times.

wouldn't DP and over speeding the top turbo then become an issue with no gates ? I do race the truck more than it's DD but, do DD it at times.

With a 73 wheel .91 housing DP and over speeding is not going to happen with your setup,put a bunch of nitrous to it I would run a external to the atmosphere,will outspool a 71 14 all day long with a t4 manifold.Not trying to change the norm in compounding which is a internal gated housing for some reason ,but it works just the same if not better ,if it did not I would have a bunch of returned setups for sale.

Yeah I hear ya. Both turbos were brand new from BW. I sent them to HTT to be polished and upgraded. I found nothing was done to the 480 but, they put the SS housing on the other. I'm also surprised after all the trouble they had that they would still be using them.

What sucks is I need to get to a race next weekend and don't have time for this ! Like you said, I can't see what would be causing a lack of 30psi though

I just got my exhaust housing back from htt for upgrades.

I had a thick cover from the beginning and got a thin one back this time.

So i called to complain about it and they said the thinner plate is a better material.

I much rather have my thick one, but ill see how it holds up.

Get a .91 t4 housing no gate ,redo hot pipe flange and a adapter or a t4 manifold and never worry again. But still dont think the turbos are the problem.If they are just get a cast 80 housing,scrap the stainless.

What would spool up be with that housing?

What would spool up be with that housing?

The same if not better than a remachined 80 gated if I had to say if it is machined right,but there are so many varibles in everybodys setup it varys. I use that housing for all my setups just change the turbines and comps ,good all around housing ,t4 makes a differance to with a good t4 manifold.Have them on everything from 400hp to 800 plus.

I just got my exhaust housing back from htt for upgrades.

I had a thick cover from the beginning and got a thin one back this time.

So i called to complain about it and they said the thinner plate is a better material.

I much rather have my thick one, but ill see how it holds up.

The thinner plates are used in a single set up due to larger ones hitting the block. The DP is a bit more on twins so the thicker plate benefits there and doesn't hit anything.

The thinner plates are used in a single set up due to larger ones hitting the block. The DP is a bit more on twins so the thicker plate benefits there and doesn't hit anything.

Hmm, i told them it was used in a twin setup. Guess i need to call them again tomorrow.

thanks to everyone for your responses. My plan is to fix the leaks at the plate, loosen up the wastegate a little and see how that goes. The leak could very well been a big contributor to the lack of boost cause the bottom turbo never really got going????

I'll post back what I find.

Back