Off the shelf oil + additives = peformance of high dollar??

cumminsX

Can't make up my mind
I am just wondering what everyones thoughts on oil additives are. I have been running Delo 15-40 because it is readily available but I had an oil analyisis done and was not to impressed with the zinc numbers. I have read a couple of the threads about oil but I am still tring to learn what things like the TBN # mean. Also I see alot of people are running some high dollar oils like Brad Penn and I am wondering if similar performance can be had by using additive with something like Delo 15-40. If so what would it take? Just ZDDP, or Rev-X or others. I will post up a shot off the oil analyisis in a little while. Thanks.

Here is what my analysis siad.

oilanalysis.jpg
[/IMG]

I just changed mine ( my motor is still in break-in ) and I used Valvoline Premium Blue and used two bottles of REV-X......Gonna run it a while and then an analysis to see whats up...

With so many different opinions on oil, It sure is hard to really know who to listen to and what to use...

I just changed mine ( my motor is still in break-in ) and I used Valvoline Premium Blue and used two bottles of REV-X......Gonna run it a while and then an analysis to see whats up...

With so many different opinions on oil, It sure is hard to really know who to listen to and what to use...

Is that what you have run regularly in your truck David? Ever done any oil tests? I'm wanting to start using better quality in my tow rig and that's what I just switched too from Rotella...going to be sending off a sample soon.

Is that what you have run regularly in your truck David? Ever done any oil tests? I'm wanting to start using better quality in my tow rig and that's what I just switched too from Rotella...going to be sending off a sample soon.

Actually no...This is the first time ever that I've used it.... I've heard a few people say its good and it was the only decent thing I could find locally...

I was in a hurry to get it changed so I could use the REV-X...

Maybe others will chime in on the Valvoline Premium Blue......Is it a good oil???

Main reason is, I HATE the smell of Rotella!! lol

I had been running Rotella, usually adding a bottle of STP oil treatment. This go-round I am going to try Mystic synthetic blend 15w-50 with a bottle of Lucas Oil break-in additive, supposedly it has good zinc content.

I use the Rotella synthetic with 2 bottles of the Lucas break-in additive in it. It has a pretty high zinc number, 2500 ppm in 5 qts I think

ive been running rotella in the whole of fleet trucks and lrg diesel boats "2x deutz 600hp twin turbo" auctually switched from mobile 1. changes in the boats were costing $1000+ each time. but the only non synthetic recomended buy eng manafacture was rotella. fun fact of the day from all data aka "some data" for dodge with burning oil smell in cab the solution acording to them is to replace hood gasket. smell is auctually additives burning out of oil usally lasts up to 500 miles after change. personally i whould like to see oil report before and after smell subsides

I am trying the Hyper-lube stuff and I will send in for an analysis after I get a few miles on it. I am not sure what the "polymer ester formula" is going to show up like on an analysis but they claim it is better than zinc. Is there any of you oil guys who know if this ester stuff is good?

The heavy duty oils like Guardol QLT 15-40 CI-4+ and Fina Cappa DHD CI-4+ have high zinc and phosphates along with a TBN of 12+. "No need for additives"
CJ oil has never been in my truck.
Billy

The heavy duty oils like Guardol QLT 15-40 CI-4+ and Fina Cappa DHD CI-4+ have high zinc and phosphates along with a TBN of 12+. "No need for additives"
CJ oil has never been in my truck.
Billy

Where is the best place to find these types of oil? What does a gallon cost? I am just trying to see if it is more cost effective to buy one of the oils you listed above or just to use the stuff that can be had here localy and then use an additive. As much as some of these additives cost it may be more money than shipping an oil in. I just had to replace my rod and main bearings and I am looking for the best possible protection this time.

Where is the best place to find these types of oil? What does a gallon cost? I am just trying to see if it is more cost effective to buy one of the oils you listed above or just to use the stuff that can be had here localy and then use an additive. As much as some of these additives cost it may be more money than shipping an oil in. I just had to replace my rod and main bearings and I am looking for the best possible protection this time.
Your local oil distributor should be able to supply heavy duty CI-4+ oils. "Off road equipment requires it" To bring the zinc up with additives to what these oils have will be expensive.
Billy

Hey David you have to worry about oil changes??:hehe::hehe::hehe:

:doh:

Not Lately!!!!!! Changed motors / Not the oil ( At least the last three times ) LOL

But finally, I may have a setup that will make it more than 2500 miles +.....

God I hope so!!

Billy,

Next time your planning on being at Jeff's, I'll take some more of that Guadal...

I just changed mine with Valvoline Prem. Blue and some REV-X additive...So maybe by Shop Day I'll be ready to buy 3 or 6 more gallons....

2010 Shop Day at Garmon's Diesel Performance - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

Garmon's Shop Day 2010....NOV 6th - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together
Howdy David
Glad to hear things are staying together. I'll be in touch before the next time I make a visit to Garmon's. Most definitely will be there for the shop day.
Billy

Back