Oil on my bumper and tailgate

dirtydiesel

I noticed oil spots all over the back end of my truck from what i can see its coming out of the breather down by the oil pan it only does it when i hammer on it then if i park it right after it drips enough oil out to make a small puddle what could be causing this? ... Thanks Brendon

Thats what i was thinking but the dipstick looks ok next oil change i think ill try 11 qts

That is the crankcase vent tube, run it through a catch can or run a hose on it from one end of the truck to the other to eliminate the issue.

That is the crankcase vent tube, run it through a catch can or run a hose on it from one end of the truck to the other to eliminate the issue.

that won't eliminate the issue... it will cause more restriction, and if you live anywhere that the temp gets below freezing, could cause you to blow the tappet cover gasket

If youre are SURE the oil is coming from the brather tube, That's quite a bit of blow-by.
You could have worn valve guides/seals, worn piston rings.
Hows the truck run? Does it start fine in the cold?

my '97 had 200k on it when I got it... it would paint the underside, tailgate, etc. with oil from the road draft tube. I think it's got almost 300k on it now and still runs great.

after I sold it someone suggested it might have been a seal on the vacuum pump causing it to pressurize the crank case

my 01 had a can on the front of the engine, in the manual it said to dump it every oil change, some times were worse than others, but its expected. if it gets worse or you can see smoke puffing out then you have something mechanically wrong.. good luck, hope you overfilled it

dump the vent tube canister its probably never been dumped an if its like mine it has holes cut in it about half way an if i used to romp on it hard the oil that accumalated in it would drip out then on anything it could try that

Yes. It's from the crank case vent. I had the same exact issue. I could never figure it out until I dynoed it and I had a huge oil puddle on the floor. 2 vents in the valvecover and no more oil spray.

Huh well it seems that every cummins that I have ever put oil in takes 12 quarts and its in the safe zone, how is that wrong? Its not like Im putting 9 quarts in and calling it good. Saying that 12 quarts in a truck is wrong is stupid. You wouldn't believe how many vehicles don't take what the spec is, look at powerstrokes its like 14-15 depending on the truck and thats why you check the oil and fill it to the dipstick and not to spec. Do what you want but I will continue to use 12 quarts and feel safe in doing it.

overfilling it a quart wont cause any problems.. especially at high rpm.. I've ran my truck with 12qts at every oil change for the last 100,000 miles.. the stupid 24 valve breather is retarded.. not only does the gear-train bring a bunch of oil up to the only place there is air rushing out of the engine, but there is a stupid bottle on the end of the hose so it fills up and splatters everywhere.. pull the radiator, pressure wash it, ditch the bottle and extend the hose.. END OF PROBLEM

Back