Oil on my bumper and tailgate

Huh well it seems that every cummins that I have ever put oil in takes 12 quarts and its in the safe zone, how is that wrong? Its not like Im putting 9 quarts in and calling it good. Saying that 12 quarts in a truck is wrong is stupid. You wouldn't believe how many vehicles don't take what the spec is, look at powerstrokes its like 14-15 depending on the truck and thats why you check the oil and fill it to the dipstick and not to spec. Do what you want but I will continue to use 12 quarts and feel safe in doing it.

you better learn how to read a dipstick there captain technician. when you pour 12qts into a motor that takes 11, start it, and immediately check the oil, no crap it reads in the safe zone.

the 98.5-02 motors take 11qts, no if ands or buts, putting 12qts in is a waste of money, can cause issues, and is WRONG. :kick::kick:

Please explain how over-filling a b-series by one quart will 'cause problems'.

Please explain how over-filling a b-series by one quart will 'cause problems'.

CAN cause issues. don't get your panties in a bunch because you overfill your truck too.

at the very least the extra oil splashing on the crank is wasting horsepower and robbing mpgs. if its over full enough all the sloshing will cause the oil the foam, and foamy oil has almost no lubricating properties.

doing it WRONG may not cause any issues, but don't come out saying that its correct.

I have probably worked on more cummins engines than you have looked at and I know how to read a dipstick. It has never caused a problem and I bet there are over 100 trucks running down the road that are running 12qts just fine. It isn't gonna matter what I say because its not gonna change your mind and its not gonna change mine. I just changed my oil this weekend and put 12qts in and quess what its right at the top mark of safe. But what do I know I just went to college for the Chrysler and was a level 4 tech.

I have probably worked on more cummins engines than you have looked at and I know how to read a dipstick. It has never caused a problem and I bet there are over 100 trucks running down the road that are running 12qts just fine. It isn't gonna matter what I say because its not gonna change your mind and its not gonna change mine. I just changed my oil this weekend and put 12qts in and quess what its right at the top mark of safe. But what do I know I just went to college for the Chrysler and was a level 4 tech.

Yeah, college for chrysler. A) Chrysler school is not college. B) Chrysler STILL doesnt make cummins.

Also level 4 tech, thats cute, i havent heard that since my buddy worked at firestone.

My 98 has been running 12quarts every oil change for over 300k and gets a consistant 17mpg. Tell me the negative effects! its got a 53block to boot:hehe:

i'm not getting my panties in a bunch.. if anyone is, you are.. 12 qts is fine.. the tsb had to put those reasons for liability.

wow you can make fun of people Im proud

I think my schooling for chrysler is 100 times better than yours correct? Also to be a level 4 tech you actually have to know something about engines, yes chrysler doesn't make cummins but obviously you have to know how to work on them because their in a chrysler vehicle. You probably thought ford owned cummins too. Im done here this is exactly why I don't post here is because you got people that think they know everything because they can quote specs and look stuff up on the internet and think they are gods gift to man. Buh Bye

I think my schooling for chrysler is 100 times better than yours correct? Also to be a level 4 tech you actually have to know something about engines, yes chrysler doesn't make cummins but obviously you have to know how to work on them because their in a chrysler vehicle. You probably thought ford owned cummins too. Im done here this is exactly why I don't post here is because you got people that think they know everything because they can quote specs and look stuff up on the internet and think they are gods gift to man. Buh Bye

Relax you'll learn on comp d to just kick back:pop: And :hehe: sometimes. Some times you'll get the internet lawyers and you have to:kick:

CAN cause issues. don't get your panties in a bunch because you overfill your truck too.

at the very least the extra oil splashing on the crank is wasting horsepower and robbing mpgs. if its over full enough all the sloshing will cause the oil the foam, and foamy oil has almost no lubricating properties.

doing it WRONG may not cause any issues, but don't come out saying that its correct.

as i said. I did.

chrysler school is chrysler school, just like ASE tests, doesn't mean crap anyone can pass it and be level 37 master tech and still not be able to turn a wrench. I can tell you one thing I do know, working for a dealer sucks. its all about time, 85% of the techs that make time at the end of the week cut corners, big ones small ones, who cares.

when I worked at the dealer I was a mazda tech, I busted my ass to do the job the right way to get screwed over come pay day.

I like to do things the right way. Cummins doesn't say 10qts + filter because they want 12qts in the motor. they also don't care how much the oil change costs, so they're not trying to save you a buck.

Here you ladies go.

Q: What is the oil capacity of my truck? (includes 1 qt for filter)

1989 - 1993: 12 quarts
1994: 10 Quarts with the original dipstick (should be replaced)
11 quarts with new dipstick - Cummins p/n 3928740, Dodge p/n 4796874
11 quarts by remarking original dipstick "full" to 1 3/16" above add mark.
1995 - 1998: 11 quarts
1998+ ISB: 11 quarts
NOTE: there are ISB's with the wrong dipstick. See TSB 09-06-98

Oil Filter Change on Ram/Cummins

So you say It MAY:
Cause loss of power:Truck makes 425hp with a HX-35 and has for a long time towing its entire life
Robbing MPG's: Truck gets consistant 17mpg it whole life
Foaming Oil: Truck has zero blow-by, starts great in cold weather and has 328k on the clock.
Maybe I'm just a lucky guy with a lucky 53 block:hehe: Truck gets 12quats every Oil change
:bang

So you say It MAY:
Cause loss of power:Truck makes 425hp with a HX-35 and has for a long time towing its entire life
Robbing MPG's: Truck gets consistant 17mpg it whole life
Foaming Oil: Truck has zero blow-by, starts great in cold weather and has 328k on the clock.
Maybe I'm just a lucky guy with a lucky 53 block:hehe: Truck gets 12quats every Oil change
:bang

wow, you are completely missing the point. put 12qts in your truck (or your customers) if you want.

ok, sure will.. have been doing it for quite some time. Some internet guru isn't going to change my mind..

Question rollin coal. how much oil would you run in your truck if you put a girdle in?

ok, sure will.. have been doing it for quite some time. Some internet guru isn't going to change my mind..

Question rollin coal. how much oil would you run in your truck if you put a girdle in?

i have no idea, never looked into one. I'm assuming because the pan is down lower you'd need to run more oil to keep the oil level the same around the pump pick up.

12qts in every truck I've owned... way easier to just dump 3 gallons in it... the "safe" area on the dipstick is an AREA, not an exact line. If you want to put 11qts in it, go for it, if you want to be lazy like me and many others, just dump 3 gallons in it and roll

Back