Oil on my bumper and tailgate

12qts in every truck I've owned... way easier to just dump 3 gallons in it... the "safe" area on the dipstick is an AREA, not an exact line. If you want to put 11qts in it, go for it, if you want to be lazy like me and many others, just dump 3 gallons in it and roll

:D :rockwoot:

^^^^^^^^
agreed. how many of our trucks use that quart by the next oil change anyway? 12 is just fine.. keeps it in the safe area longer

the most likely reason for your oil spots it the stupid 24 valve breather.. not only does the gear-train bring a bunch of oil up to the only place there is air rushing out of the engine, but there is a stupid bottle on the end of the hose so it fills up and splatters everywhere.. pull the radiator, pressure wash it, ditch the bottle and extend the hose.. END OF PROBLEM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

TO: Original Poster....

I had the same problem on my 98.5. Oil spots on the tailgate after I got on it. My truck didn't have the breather on the vp pump gear case, all it had was a cover cap that screwed on. I put the breather on there like's on the newer ones and haven't had a spotty tail gate since. Check that yours has that breather, I dunno why mine didn't, must have been an early build.
Corey

Back