One of you guys now.

turbom700

Picked this gem up for 300 dollars with a blown/locked up motor. Was able to get it to move and crank over with the starter. I'll start pulling the motor out and apart next week and see what wrong with it.

What's a good place to buy TDI engine parts?

I swear red vehicles are attracted to me this is number 3 out of 3.:Cheer:

Golf1.jpg

Mike

I have perfectly good longblock in my shop. Let me know what you need and I can help you out :Cheer:

Thanks for all the help and information I'll get it pulled out next week and go from there.

Kinda exicted to get some good 40 mpg compared to my 15 in my s10.

Thanks again.

Thanks for all the help and information I'll get it pulled out next week and go from there.

Kinda exicted to get some good 40 mpg compared to my 15 in my s10.

Thanks again.

40? ha, couldn't get below 42 and that was dripping fuel for 5 miles when I installed my LiftPump setup (flipped the in/out lines....).... first long trip, 52, and that was with a sooted up EGR.

Make sure you get rid of the EGR. pointless crap.

Well even better yet. 50 sounds awesome.

Yes the EGR will be gone along with the stuipd butterfly on the intake manifold that is know to stick.

So Jason have you got use to driving it yet? Do you like it? I'm a little worried that its going to be to small for me as I'm use to driving a truck.

MIke

Mike

Well even better yet. 50 sounds awesome.

Yes the EGR will be gone along with the stuipd butterfly on the intake manifold that is know to stick.

So Jason have you got use to driving it yet? Do you like it? I'm a little worried that its going to be to small for me as I'm use to driving a truck.

MIke

Mike

hahaha. I get in my truck, I'm looking for a hand parking brake and pushing down on the shifter to get it to reverse... Opposite is true getting back in the truck, plus hitting the throttle to quickly the first time and going a little to fast and/or a little smokey.

I've been driving the truck on the weekends mostly and it's easy to get used to the TDI not so much getting back into the truck. the car is so easy and fun to drive.

Just realize if your truck has 600hp, your TDI will need ALOT of work to get the same kinda power, so it's going to be slow... however, you have a lot better braking, turning, cornering so you need to leverage that, look a little further a head and take a longer term chance knowing you have the cars other strengths to get your backout of a bad situation.... Assuming you like to be aggressive with the truck.

Going from the TDI steering to a circa 1920's "steering gear box" is really freaking annoying. That's the part I hate the most. I suppose it's time to get the truck's steering box replaced or fixed, but yeah, I find my self for the first few miles not correcting enough once I make a simple lane change where as the car it's just a tiny adjustment.

There will be plenty of info I'll type up for the EGR and ASV deletes and other stuff I've done in my "I has a TDI" thread. soon.

Jason pretty well nailed it, you will get so used to the car that you'll drive it over the truck any day. They are easy to work on and fun to drive.

Well a little update.

Worked on it last night and the "locked up motor" turned out to be a locked up alternator. Which I had one sitting on the shelf.

I have worked on cars for 15 years and I have never seen a alternator lock up and not smoke the belt off. Not only this but the shop I picked the car up from specializes in VW and Audi.

After driving it last night, I decide that I would delete the EGR valve and clean the intake. Got it all torn apart last night and just need to machine up a block to block off the exhaust side of the EGR and weld on a neck to the intake manifold to get rid of the EGR valve. Hopefully tonight I will have it running and driving.

Some pictures

EGR valve and intake Not looking so clean

IMG_0215.jpg

IMG_0214.jpg

Intake going into the head also not looking so clean
IMG_0216.jpg

And it all pulled apart

IMG_0217.jpg

I will get some pictures tonight of it all back together.

Should be a fun little car.

Mike:snoop::snoop::snoop:

Well a little update.

Worked on it last night and the "locked up motor" turned out to be a locked up alternator. Which I had one sitting on the shelf.

I have worked on cars for 15 years and I have never seen a alternator lock up and not smoke the belt off. Not only this but the shop I picked the car up from specializes in VW and Audi.

After driving it last night, I decide that I would delete the EGR valve and clean the intake. Got it all torn apart last night and just need to machine up a block to block off the exhaust side of the EGR and weld on a neck to the intake manifold to get rid of the EGR valve. Hopefully tonight I will have it running and driving.

Some pictures

EGR valve and intake Not looking so clean

IMG_0215.jpg

IMG_0214.jpg

Intake going into the head also not looking so clean
IMG_0216.jpg

And it all pulled apart

IMG_0217.jpg

I will get some pictures tonight of it all back together.

Should be a fun little car.

Mike:snoop::snoop::snoop:

Take a bore scope and look into the intake runners into the head :) clean that too. Pulling the valve cover to ensure the valves are shut

The manifold, scrap what you can, burn the rest out

Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together - View Single Post - I has a TDI!!!!

Also, use the egr tube plates for you base for the block off

All back together

The intake manifold was all plugged up so I just decide to cut it in half. Here are some pics to show what it looked like. I drove the car last night and it actually more responsive then I would have thought for a little 90hp car. Now it's time to start looking a chips/tuners. Any suggestions?

IMG_0219.jpg

IMG_0220.jpg

IMG_0221.jpg

IMG_0222.jpg

IMG_0223.jpg

All welded back together

IMG_0225.jpg

Cleaned out throttle plate thing
IMG_0226.jpg

EGR block off plate

IMG_0224.jpg

EGR plate installed

IMG_0227.jpg

All back together

IMG_0228.jpg

Mike

wow, you just wanted a welding project didn't ya? LOL. should of ported it!

Did you have a look into the intake runners in the head to the valves? IT's just as sooted up down there!

TDTuning is what I got on suggestion hatemi. Pleased with their support and product.

Get a PD intake lift pump conversion. That and the tune were the two other single biggest improvements.

I did the tune first. low end under 2400 picked up, over that, sluggish, top speed still 85

Cleaned out the intake, replaced every vacuum line, spool is up 200rpm (1800-ish), top speed 110+. max RPM in 4th is still 3800rpm-3900.

Did the lift pump conversion (check for bubbles in that clear plastic fuel line). Spool is where it should be for stock, 1700. It pulls in 4th all the way to 4600rpm now. My stock clutch failed shortly after :)

So, do the tune and lift pump.. idparts.com has the best price on a PD-lift pump and it's about $50 for the wire kit that comes with all the proper push connect connectors.

ah you friggin thief...killer deal..my jetta is gas but i love it..german engineering kicks ass...i drive it instead of commuting in the truck...35 mi ea way so it helps out

What a Freakin' Deal. Can you see the look on the guys face when you tell him that it was a Bad alternator not a locked up Engine..LOL

I’m still trying to decide if I want to call the place I picked the car up from that diagnose it as a bad engine and tell them or is it better to leave sleeping dogs sleep. I don’t think I will be calling the guy and tell him as he might be a little pissed at the shop. My wife thinks I shouldn’t tell any one of them.

My other thought was to show up there with the car and talk face to face with them just so I could see there reaction on there face.

Jason I went in with a .750” round wire brush attached to my dremel. With the Intake valve closed and a vacuum going I got everything cleaned up for the most part.

Next mods are a chip and looks like a PD lift pump.

The thing has a little roughness at idle but once it off idle runs great. It also has just a little black smoke when you get on it in 2nd gear. I was actually surprised on how well this thing moves.

I have come to a hard decision every morning when I wake up. I have 3 vehicles to drive wich one do I take. For the longest time I liked driving my F350 diesel. Then I installed a V8 in my S10 and that was my vehicle of choice now I think it going to be the Golf.

If anyone wants a killer deal on a Chevy S10 with a V8 in it I might be selling it.

Mike

Last week started my 98 Jetta, water pump blew, pulled
front cover antifreeze covered everything. I replaced
belt and pump. I was so pissed before I fixed it,
I went on line and bought low mile 02 from Houston,
should be here in two weeks.

Back