One of you guys now.

I’m still trying to decide if I want to call the place I picked the car up from that diagnose it as a bad engine and tell them or is it better to leave sleeping dogs sleep. I don’t think I will be calling the guy and tell him as he might be a little pissed at the shop. My wife thinks I shouldn’t tell any one of them.

My other thought was to show up there with the car and talk face to face with them just so I could see there reaction on there face.

Jason I went in with a .750” round wire brush attached to my dremel. With the Intake valve closed and a vacuum going I got everything cleaned up for the most part.

Next mods are a chip and looks like a PD lift pump.

The thing has a little roughness at idle but once it off idle runs great. It also has just a little black smoke when you get on it in 2nd gear. I was actually surprised on how well this thing moves.

I have come to a hard decision every morning when I wake up. I have 3 vehicles to drive wich one do I take. For the longest time I liked driving my F350 diesel. Then I installed a V8 in my S10 and that was my vehicle of choice now I think it going to be the Golf.

If anyone wants a killer deal on a Chevy S10 with a V8 in it I might be selling it.

Mike

I know I still have a little crap left over in my valve area that I couldn't get with a hand held wire brush.. I might just get the dremel attachment and go though it one last time. Thanks for the idea.

Rough idle is most likely injectors and that is a good idea on the Dremel, might have to hit mine a lick or two.

So just got home from work and need to run and get parts. Decide to take the Golf.

Got a code P3130 EGR

I cleared the code with my code reader but I'm sure it will still come back on.

Any way to keep this from coming back or im I going to have to run a chip?

Also is the only way that the computer monitoring the EGR flow is lack of flow across the MAF? Its the only way I can think of them doing this.

If this is true that is f-ing stuipd.

Did you plug up the tube or remove the vacuum valve?

The programmer will fix the computer code

So just got home from work and need to run and get parts. Decide to take the Golf.

Got a code P3130 EGR

I cleared the code with my code reader but I'm sure it will still come back on.

Any way to keep this from coming back or im I going to have to run a chip?

Also is the only way that the computer monitoring the EGR flow is lack of flow across the MAF? Its the only way I can think of them doing this.

If this is true that is f-ing stuipd.
You're right, that code comes from the MAF flow being too high when the egr is commanded open. It will go away when you get it tuned. TD Tuning is also my recommendation; Mike is a super guy.

Here's smething you can do since you deleted the egr. Cleans up all the vacuum lines. TDIClub Forums

That's freaking awesome you got that car for $300. Did I ever mention I hate you? :Cheer:

Yea I just plugged both of the vacuum lines after the switches.

Does it affect performance of it at all when the lights on. Knowing the VW you would think they would detune it or something stupid.

Jason what "chip" did you go with from tdtuning? Did you just send your ECM into him of did someone have the cable?

Anyway to tell for sure that the injector are what is giving me a slight miss at Idle? Would what be a good course of action to take to fix them?
Where is a good spot to buy them?
What size should I go with?

My plans with the car are to Chip, Exhaust and Clutch it and hopefully I can stop there.:nos::nos:

Sorry, for all the questions I am not real up to date with all the TDI stuff.

Mike

If you do not plan to upgrade the turbo, stay with stock or close to stock injectors, the stock turbo is just barely big enough for the fuel you can flow now. For a clutch, both South Bend and Valair have offerings for the TDI, and just happen to be site sponsors. You can do some changes with Vag-Com to get rid of the light by setting the MAF readings in the ECM to max stock, should take care of it, did on mine.

To check the injectors the only sure way I know is to have a shop look them over, you might get lucky and run a hard dose of the grey bottle power service through them and have that work to clean them up. It might be possible with Vag-Com to look at the injected quantity readings at idle and see if #3 is the culprit or not.

Thanks for all the great advice. Where is the best place to by a Vag-Com?

Billy what all do you have ton to yours?

Jason that what I was thinking to.

Did it make a big difference in performance? Worth the $400?????????

I just filled the tank up so I think I will get a grey bottle of power serivce and give that a try. Got to love filling up from a 1/4 tank for under 30 dollars. Heck the last time I filled my truck up it was over 120 ouch.

On a kind of funny note. After giving my brother a ride in mine. He went out and bought a 1998 Bettle TDI with 160,000 on it for 3,000. Guy just installed a brand new clutch too. Didnt think that it was that bad of deal. No way I could drive a beetle but he dont care about that.

Thanks again

Mike

Mine started life as an auto, it went kaput so I was able to pick the car up pretty cheap, not as cheap as you, but very reasonable. It now has a 5spd manual with a fairly grabby clutch, manual car injectors and all kinds of clean up work done LOL The auto cars have a larger pump but smaller injectors than the manual cars do, so for mine the manual injectors were a bit of an upgrade. According to Dunbar's dyno it has 87HP at the wheels :D

For Vag-Com, the software is free to download, the cable is about $250 from Vag-Com. If you look on fleabay there are all kinds of cables available for 10-15 bucks that say they are for Vag-Com. I have been told they will work just fine if you install the correct drivers for the cable and make sure the com port setup is correct. I have not done this so cannot say one way or the other if it is true. If you want to borrow my cable shoot me a PM and I'll send it your way.

I have a set of injectors that are supposed to be worked over by a certain well known performance guru and sent back to me, when they are it'll be time for a turbo and a tune :evil

I'd say your wife has the right idea, you can't unsay anything.

Killer deal!

Back