Other intake manifolds besides ZZ?

1BADRAM

Diesel Enthusiast
Are there any other vendors that are coming out with a intake manifold besides ZZ? There's looks good in all but a little pricey. I got the stock one cut off and will be needing one in soon.

what are you needing this intake for 24v or 12v i know a guy who has them made from billett but for only a 24v im trying like crazy to get him to make one for a 12v

It is a 24V, what does that guy charge for an intake. I did buy a sheet of aluminum to make our own, but really don't have the time to do it.

bonesmx2000 said:
what are you needing this intake for 24v or 12v i know a guy who has them made from billett but for only a 24v im trying like crazy to get him to make one for a 12v

Do you have a pictures of this thing? Sounds interesting....

I'm no expert, but I would have to say that the ZZ design intake is completely from as from a air flow respect. To many sharp edges, no radius on the ports. I've spent countless hours on a flow bench trying to understand air flow. I've been working on one for my truck, will try to post pictures.

Another thing I noticed is the length of the spray bar that they use in some of there manifolds, way to long, or should feed it from both ends. By feeding it from one end ony the pressure drop is major when the solenoid is activated. We had issues on a pro-mod car with a set of spray bars in the manifold plenum and they were only 15" long, let alone 30" like a cummins.

scot

Last edited:
One thing I don't quite understand is what is the benifet of an aluminum intake plenum other than weight savings anyway? The head itself is just cast iron and since the inside is closed off from the weather it doesn't really rust so why not make an intake plenum out of 1/4" steel plate? You could paint the outside to keep the rust at bay and the inside shouldn't rust anymore than the rest of the head IMO. I plan on doing that to mine if I ever have the head off again to try and squeeze a little more flow...

That's a good point. Only thing I could see a problem with steel is when spraying water and it rusting up bad enough for parts to start flecking off.

Tell them that you need this entire wing looking thing sliced off as close to the head as possible and you need exactly straight.

Not able to get pics at this time. My head is at my buddies shop in Indiana. Maybe someone else has some pics.

brandon go to ZZ fab's website...on the bottom of the page where they have 12 & 24V intakes they actually have a link you can click that gives you several pages of pictures and exact directions for your machine shop to cut the intake plentum off...

here are some pics of my spare head w/ the intake removed.

scot

Attachments

• DSC00795.bmp
    415.1 KB · Views: 435
  • DSC00797.bmp
    691.3 KB · Views: 434
no one probly wants to run one of these cause it of the words on it but,,, a little machining and a different color paint and walla, a generic brands.
oil burner, get one of these for a flow test. i would like to know compared to the zz.

image003.jpg

image002.jpg

image001.jpg

About making them out of steel, as of SEMA I believe ZZ Fab makes theirs in both mild steel and aluminum. So it must work.

Brandon, we faced the exhaust ports so we had a good square edge to start from. I can grab a dimension from the exhaust ports to the milled surface if you need it. For a 12V right?

Back