Other intake manifolds besides ZZ?

Diesel Freak said:
Will the Bog Hoss fit a VP44 engine? Or is the FPCM on the pump in the way?

It's not made for the VP44 engine but I've had guys install them. It's cast for the 03 and up CR engines so the rail bosses are cast in to support them. For a VP44 engine you will have to make a few "changes" to get it installed correctly.

carfichris said:
Brandon, we faced the exhaust ports so we had a good square edge to start from. I can grab a dimension from the exhaust ports to the milled surface if you need it. For a 12V right?
Yep, 12v spare head I have sitting here. Dim's would be great!

Thanks 9lives... i'll have to look on their site. EDIT: LINKY!! http://www.zzcustomfabrication.com/head_machining2.htm

Is the big hoss just for CR heads? EDIT- I see that now.

Last edited:
carfichris said:
About making them out of steel, as of SEMA I believe ZZ Fab makes theirs in both mild steel and aluminum. So it must work.

Stainless as well

Very nice units the workmanship is top notch

Thanks Wes! I wasn't smart enough to think of quoting it.

Hopefully Ken will see this and re-enforce the fact that a long tube intake didn't really gain any HP on a turbocharged application. I wonder if the cost vs. benefit is really worth it?

With a aftermarket intake manifold system like these it's not just the manifold itself but the fact you can now do a full port job on the intake port rather then just a "pocket port" job. With the factory plenum in place you simply can't reach it to do a good job.
As an example:
stock intake port flow at .400 lift (stock cam) is 143cfm
Piers Diesel stage 2 "pocket" port job 160cfm (this is from their public data)
full port job 206.4 cfm. or about 45% more then stock

Last edited:
Sweet! How does that comparatively change over the range of valve lift? Is it 45% everywhere?

Ive been think about milling the head for a port job and intake if my truck doesnt sell. Seems that 2 grand is a bit much for a port job. Banks wouldnt clear mine if my life depended on it. I hate to admit but its pretty. In the meantime :pop:

joefarmer said:
Sweet! How does that comparatively change over the range of valve lift? Is it 45% everywhere?

I have the exact numbers across the valve lift at work, I'll post them up in the morning for all those interested

joefarmer said:

You should hit a wall at .500 lift, this is because the head is designed to cool not flow air...12V. I went down this road several years ago and the same guy has another head for the 01' 12V.

Jim

I have a spare head in my garage that I plan on turning into a coffee table LOL so I would be interested in the measurements to cut the plenum off correctly as well. Then I could fab my own for if I ever put a different head on my truck again...

All of Greg at ZZ manifolds, are now Steel, or Stainless. The primary reason for a manifold is to give the ability to port the head, the manifold also aids in better distribution. The manifold in the earlier post is the funniest thing I have ever seen, and I’m sorry, worthless, and defiantly a hindrance. An individual runner manifold is a crucial part of resonance tuning of intake track air. The way resonance tuning works is that the manifold is designed to allow the inertia of the air column aids in packing more air in the cylinder..

but the bottom line is that manifold pictures is 10 times to long, and has no taper , meaning the opening at the beginning needs to be bigger, and if anything just a gimmick ,if it was meant to be a individual runner , it failed big time , the 24 valve head runners that are close together are from two different cylinders . Sorry, but it’s true.

here is some of the type manifold that Greg is helping me on for my new Duramax the runners will be trimed to about half the lenght now

dragsternx165.jpg

Back