Other intake manifolds besides ZZ?

your signature - head bangin - suggests thats about all you understand about the subject

these threads are sposed to be about learnin not bashin - grow up

and

if ya have nothing constructive to say - shut up

Oh constructive......like you posting about how much knowledge is currently missing from this thread. I don't think anyone came on here claiming to have the perfect solution for intake performance. There were just some people throwing out their ideas and sharing them with the rest of us, so everyone who reads it might be a little more informed. But seriously thanks for letting us all know that we shouldn't bother because we haven't read the 5 books and taken the years of time to even begin to know what we are talking about.

By the way my signature trumps your avatar

nobody was suggesting how much was missing from this thread-

I was suggesting that there were several naysayers to some really good posts on here, and no matter how hard we try we dont know it all - and someones wierd n wonderous idea might just be not only right -but the next million dollar maker of an idea

And i was being quite light on the learrning - its more like encyclopedias and years of study and r&d

nuff said cuz this isnt gonna turn to be a pissin match

Last edited:
A few elements that are being left out, by cutting off the plenum and hogging out the intake ports you are losing valuable port velocity and optimized cylinder swirl by lopping off the plenum and going crazy with a diegrinder, there's more to it than that, and folks get caught up in the latest fancy- smanchy- bolt on "trick of the week" by listening to a cleverly crafted sales pitch....:bang

Remove the intake and properly port the intake side while speeding up port velocity and optimizing the swirl will enhance the engines breathing characteristics and enhance the "thermodynamics" of the air delivery in the engines breathing, which is a nessesary component in our diesel engines......

By going hog wild with a diegrinder you would in turn loose these importantly nessesary characteristics of proper port feeding dynamics......

I know of someone who is a member here-( no names mentioned ) who opted to fall for a 'sales pitch' and paid a healthy amount of hard earned greenbacks for one of these super duper enhanced ported cylinder heads with a bolt on intake- when subsequent damage resulted to this expensively overpriced componentry this guy opted to install a stock cylinder head back on his truck- AND HIS PERFORMANCE INCREASED!!!!!:what:

I've also seen this same set up (different member- different truck) being started up and the starter continued to crank and crank and crank away, when the engine finally did start, the chuffing dynamics of the engines operation proved to me that port efficiency was thrown out the window with these big ticket items. On the dyno this set up may have generated some decent numbers, but I've also heard numerous reports of even greater numbers all done with stock style cylinder head......

Food for thought.$.02

absolutely agree - gasser porting tech (bigger is better) doesnt work on a blown or turbo motor

For those who are interested in porting the intake side properly and completely meaning cylinders 1 and 6 as well, and dont want to lop off the manifold to do so, there is a very simple fix to do this

mark out a 3" by 3" window on the bottom side of the intake in front of the #1 and #6 intake ports. Use a cut off wheel to remove this section. This window is then closed off with 1/4" plate with 6 - 5/16" x 1/2" long bolts drilled n tapped into the manifold

this gives you full access to the end ports for smoothing not hogging out - which is all thats needed ie your blending casting flash and irregularities and evening out or "equalizing" the ports in size and shape

the exhaust side is full of machining creases, and bumps n such and benefits best by just smoothing not hogging once again

I have seen the posts claiming 5-15 lbs of cast iron removed - whereas maybe there might be a few ounces per port if done right, in my humble opinion

A few elements that are being left out, by cutting off the plenum and hogging out the intake ports you are losing valuable port velocity and optimized cylinder swirl by lopping off the plenum and going crazy with a diegrinder, there's more to it than that, and folks get caught up in the latest fancy- smanchy- bolt on "trick of the week" by listening to a cleverly crafted sales pitch....:bang

Remove the intake and properly port the intake side while speeding up port velocity and optimizing the swirl will enhance the engines breathing characteristics and enhance the "thermodynamics" of the air delivery in the engines breathing, which is a nessesary component in our diesel engines......

By going hog wild with a diegrinder you would in turn loose these importantly nessesary characteristics of proper port feeding dynamics......

I know of someone who is a member here-( no names mentioned ) who opted to fall for a 'sales pitch' and paid a healthy amount of hard earned greenbacks for one of these super duper enhanced ported cylinder heads with a bolt on intake- when subsequent damage resulted to this expensively overpriced componentry this guy opted to install a stock cylinder head back on his truck- AND HIS PERFORMANCE INCREASED!!!!!:what:

I've also seen this same set up (different member- different truck) being started up and the starter continued to crank and crank and crank away, when the engine finally did start, the chuffing dynamics of the engines operation proved to me that port efficiency was thrown out the window with these big ticket items. On the dyno this set up may have generated some decent numbers, but I've also heard numerous reports of even greater numbers all done with stock style cylinder head......

Food for thought.$.02

Dat's down wit et… frums da lefth 2 da rites ans allss da wey outes, Air velocity is the Target that affects our little deeeslshs, I mean deasels, desals, desales………………….deesuls motors

on a high hp rpm gasser turbo motor bigger is better im runnin 280cc ports on a sb chevy under 400ci those are some big ports for a little motor but it also has a 105mm turbo feeding the air to fill those ports. I dont think the average performance cummins needs wildly huge ports due to the rpm they are run at. Maybe if you were tryin to spin a 5.9 at 7000rpm the big ports would help and besides havin a huge hogged out prt is kinda pointless unless you can run the valve diameter to match the port flow.

Looks like I will be selling my head, so I won't get the chance to see what gains would have been accomplished. The plant that I'm working at is closing there doors, so I will be selling alot of parts, maybe even the truck.

Back