Pa guys gvw ?

Sadly, there are aholes in every walk of life. Most of the guys around here are ok, they just want safe vehicles on the road.

I actually host a "truck day" open house type thing where people with trucks can come in, ask questions, get info, get the truck inspected if they want (no tickets, it's a free inspection to make sure everything is up to snuff), and generally get themselves squared away and their questions answered. The first year I did it, nobody wanted to drive in. Then some guys in pickups pulled in and wanted to make sure it wasn't a trap, no tickets and just an informal info session. Once they felt cool that it was to help them out, we ened up overwhelmed with guys coming in. It was a fun day. Been doing that for the last 4-5 years

Police, DMV offering commercial vehicle safety checks- The Register Citizen

Got a nice write up in the paper last year.

Do you have a phone number for the officer?

I got pulled over in phoenix here in arizona running 28,000 gcvw with my 05' dually, gooseneck trailer and load. The weight enforcement officer said the same thing and showed me in the f**kin book where it proved it. Yes I still have his personal number saved in my phone under "mark weight enforcement" why are you fighting this so hard?

I got pulled over in phoenix here in arizona running 28,000 gcvw with my 05' dually, gooseneck trailer and load. The weight enforcement officer said the same thing and showed me in the f**kin book where it proved it. Yes I still have his personal number saved in my phone under "mark weight enforcement" why are you fighting this so hard?

I'm only arguing with the guys that said any trailer over 10,000 requires a cdl. It doesn't unless the truck and trailer add up to more than 26k. The well educated dot officer in this thread agreed with me. You were over 26000 so that is why you needed a cdl.

Commercial and personal do not matter in PA. It is less likely they will stop you, but they still hand out fines if the trailer is over 10k and you do not have a GCWR on your truck.

If you call any of the PA DOT personnel or DOT for the state you are running out of they will tell you what you need. Do not call the DMV for your state as they will most likely steer you wrong. The laws are very clear on this. Also, I know Take 3 will give you a new VIN plate for whatever you want not to exceed the sticker originally on the trailer for $30. I did that and never had any problems. I had a 9k truck and a 17k trailer.

If you guys want PM me and I will give you the info on who to call. They are both really decent guys and will tell you what you need to do. They also do the audits for when you first get your US DOT number so they can help out with that as well.
I have noticed this year D.O.T. is has been out all year, never saw that before. It has been a warm winter but have never seen the amount i have this year. I would not bank on not getting pulled over.
It is not just D.O.T. the twp cops find money in this too. I have seen them nail pontoon boat trailers. Most pontoon trailers are under 3000lbs , no brakes req'd. It is just boats got bigger or put your gear and motor on boat and now you are over 3000lbs. Like I said watch rest areas and look for parked trailers
How many of you have proper amount of reflective tape on your trailer?

It would be doubtful of me ever being over 26000 total loaded. More like 23,000-24,000 total truck,trailer,load. I don't hual heavy, I just want to be in the clear and totaly legal.

It would be doubtful of me ever being over 26000 total loaded. More like 23,000-24,000 total truck,trailer,load. I don't hual heavy, I just want to be in the clear and totaly legal.

Actual weight doesn't matter for cdl. If the gvw's of the truck and trailer add up to more than 26,000 AND the trailer is over 10,000 gvw then you need a cdl, regardless of actual weight.

Actual weight doesn't matter for cdl. If the gvw's of the truck and trailer add up to more than 26,000 AND the trailer is over 10,000 gvw then you need a cdl, regardless of actual weight.

You are correct. However, going through the scales multiple times close to 26k will get you looked at more so than if you have a few k to spare.

Sadly, there are aholes in every walk of life. Most of the guys around here are ok, they just want safe vehicles on the road.

I actually host a "truck day" open house type thing where people with trucks can come in, ask questions, get info, get the truck inspected if they want (no tickets, it's a free inspection to make sure everything is up to snuff), and generally get themselves squared away and their questions answered. The first year I did it, nobody wanted to drive in. Then some guys in pickups pulled in and wanted to make sure it wasn't a trap, no tickets and just an informal info session. Once they felt cool that it was to help them out, we ened up overwhelmed with guys coming in. It was a fun day. Been doing that for the last 4-5 years

Police, DMV offering commercial vehicle safety checks- The Register Citizen

Got a nice write up in the paper last year.

That is awesome. If every DOT officer would be that way; we wouldn't have as many problems. I was telling a DOT officer in SC about what happened to me in PA and he said "That's horse ****!!!" and gave me stickers so I would be left alone.

I have noticed this year D.O.T. is has been out all year, never saw that before. It has been a warm winter but have never seen the amount i have this year. I would not bank on not getting pulled over.
It is not just D.O.T. the twp cops find money in this too. I have seen them nail pontoon boat trailers. Most pontoon trailers are under 3000lbs , no brakes req'd. It is just boats got bigger or put your gear and motor on boat and now you are over 3000lbs. Like I said watch rest areas and look for parked trailers
How many of you have proper amount of reflective tape on your trailer?

Another good point. Always make sure you have the lights and tape required by law. If you give them a reason to pull you in for something as simple as a few blown/missing bulbs or missing tape that you should have noticed on your pretrip; you are asking for problems.

Having your equipment in good order is a must. When you are sitting at the scale waiting to be cleared; they are looking at everything on your trailer. The last guy that inspected me in NJ went through everything with a fine tooth comb. He even made me turn the wheels so he could inspect my brakes and suspension.

They are out for a reason. It is not just to bring in money, but there are a lot of people hauling things like ctcsp846 mentioned. I always hear stores of illegals hauling w/o authority and dangerous equipment.

Just came past rest area and they captured a newer ford with goose neck. He is in the you are not going anywhere part of the lot.

I'm only arguing with the guys that said any trailer over 10,000 requires a cdl. It doesn't unless the truck and trailer add up to more than 26k. The well educated dot officer in this thread agreed with me. You were over 26000 so that is why you needed a cdl.

I'm still confused since straight out of the PennDOT CDL manual it states that a Class C license is qualified as "towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000lbs". It does not mention GCWR in class C only GVWR.

Link to Attachment-Page 10

Attachments

• cdl10k.jpg
    cdl10k.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 0
I'm still confused since straight out of the PennDOT CDL manual it states that a Class C license is qualified as "towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000lbs". It does not mention GCWR in class C only GVWR.

Link to Attachment-Page 10

Class C is for bus drivers carrying more than 16 people. That link you posted is worded awkwardly but it basically means buses under 26,000 gvw can also pull a small trailer under 10,000 gvw and still only need a class C.

Class C is what every pa driver with a license carries. Years ago before commercial license was CDL it was ABC's meaning you were licensed in every class. If you only had B&C you were not licensed to drive a tractor trailer combo.

Actual weight doesn't matter for cdl.

This is the only completely true statement you made in this thread. It doesn't matter what the gvwr is on either vehicle it matters what you have it registered at. For example--a vehicle registered at 10k and trailer registered at 14k requires a cdl. Now if you take that same rig and register the truck at 17k and the trailer at 10k you DO NOT need a cdl. In second scenario your gross weight is 27k but the difference is that the trailer is registered at 10k even tho the vin plate on the trailer says its capable of carrying 14k.

This is the only completely true statement you made in this thread. It doesn't matter what the gvwr is on either vehicle it matters what you have it registered at. For example--a vehicle registered at 10k and trailer registered at 14k requires a cdl. Now if you take that same rig and register the truck at 17k and the trailer at 10k you DO NOT need a cdl. In second scenario your gross weight is 27k but the difference is that the trailer is registered at 10k even tho the vin plate on the trailer says its capable of carrying 14k.

Holy cow you are so far off it's funny. Please educate yourself on this subject. Start here.
http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/fact_sheets/fs-cdl.pdf

Should I post my DOT inspections and a copy of my license? Honestly you guys are wrong about when you need a CDL. The link in post # 51 has a flow chart that describes it. If you call PENNDOT tomorrow and ask them or call any driver's license center to schedule an appointment for class A CDL with anything under 26K; they won't even let you take the test....

Don't cross the Finzle scales in MD on 68 then. PENNDOT told me this was the case, but it is not. They can go by either. In most cases they take the higher value. I can post that inspection if you like. Luckily for me; the guys down there are REALLY decent.

The link in post #51 does say any combination of vehicles.

"class c
A class c license is issued to those persons 18 years of age or older who have demonstrated their qualifications to
operate any single vehicle with a GvWr of not more than 26,000 pounds or any combination of vehicles"

Holy cow you are so far off it's funny. Please educate yourself on this subject. Start here.
http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/fact_sheets/fs-cdl.pdf

I don't need education cause I've done a similar scenario to what I prev stated. I drove a truck registered at 16k and a 14k trailer registered at 10k so I wouldn't need a cdl. I got dot inspected in pa oh ny nj and ct and not a one raised a flag about the way I was licensed. I was doing it commercially for hire with dot numbers and all the other correct paperwork.

I don't need education cause I've done a similar scenario to what I prev stated. I drove a truck registered at 16k and a 14k trailer registered at 10k so I wouldn't need a cdl. I got dot inspected in pa oh ny nj and ct and not a one raised a flag about the way I was licensed. I was doing it commercially for hire with dot numbers and all the other correct paperwork.

If you drove a 16k truck and a 14k trailer, you needed a Class A CDL, fuel tax and apportioned plates. It's vehicle GVW set by the manufacturer, not the registered weight. Any combination of vehicles with a GVW of 26,001 pounds or more, WITH a trailer over 10,000 pounds equals Class A CDL under FMCSA rules.

Now if you didn't get inspected and just made it through wthout anyone looking at your rig and checking GVW's, lucky you. Or if there was no VIN plate showing the GVW and you didn't get scaled, also lucky you. There is no way you got inspected (In CT at least) with that weight vehicles, without a CDL and drove away.

Back