Pa guys gvw ?

Sec. 14-44d. Information on commercial driver's license. Classifications. (a) A commercial driver's license shall be marked "Commercial Driver's License" or "CDL", and shall be, to the maximum extent practicable, tamper proof. It shall include, at a minimum, the following items of information:

(1) The name and residence address of the person;

(2) The person's color picture;

(3) A physical description of the person, including sex, height and eye color;

(4) Date of birth;

(5) The person's signature;

(6) The class or type of commercial motor vehicle or vehicles which the license authorizes the person to drive, together with any endorsements or restrictions;

(7) The name of this state; and

(8) The dates between which the license is valid.

(b) A commercial driver's license shall be issued with the following classifications:

(1) Class A -Any combination of vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of twenty-six thousand one pounds or more, provided the GVWR of the vehicle being towed is in excess of ten thousand pounds.

CT laws. Motor carrier statutes are exactly the same.

383.91Commercial motor vehicle groups. (a) Vehicle group descriptions. Each driver applicant must possess and be tested on his/her knowledge and skills, described in subpart G of this part, for the commercial motor vehicle group(s) for which he/she desires a CDL. The commercial motor vehicle groups are as follows:

(1) Combination vehicle (Group A)—Any combination of vehicles with a gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of 11,794 kilograms or more (26,001 pounds or more) provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds).

Straight fro Title 49, Code of Federal Regulations, Motor Carrier/Transportation.
Notice that nowhere says registered weight, it's all GVW.

I think when Loren says he had a 16,000 truck he was talking about registered not GVW. I'll bet the truck GVW was 12,000 or less which kept him under 26,000 with the 14,000 trailer and that was why he didn't need CDL.

Holy cow, it seems as though the way they word the law it is confusing to everyone. Anything you haul commercially you need a CDL, that is anything that you get money for, this technically includes sled pulling because they give out prize money. The way I read it is also that it is the combined, not if the trailer is over 10k, but that is how I read it. I'm going to go ahead and get mine, because it is just easier in the long run, especially if everyone is interpreting the law differently. While it may cost me more in insurance, medical, tags, etc but it will cost me less than a fine.

I think when Loren says he had a 16,000 truck he was talking about registered not GVW. I'll bet the truck GVW was 12,000 or less which kept him under 26,000 with the 14,000 trailer and that was why he didn't need CDL.

It was a single axle international 4700. Don't quote me on this but I'm pretty sure the door sticker said 19k gvwr. And I know the trailer was a 14k gvwr. And to the CT guy yes I did get dot'd.

I am in butler county pa. They fine trailers over 10000 if no cdl .It holds up in court. I know no one that has beat that fine. Something else I have heard is that registering down does not matter, it is what the trailer is stamped for...... . My in -law was pulled in for DOT. inspection in his superduty with trailer. ..Everything was new truck and trailer his driver had cdl and medical card. It took DOT an hour but they found a way to fine. Truck had annual inspection [the one from the dealership] but with trailer needed semi annual. Fined driver fined owner and went to inspection mechanic. I do not know if mechanic received fine or not . Human reaction not to believe but i see it and have felt it. A friend of my is head mechanic for 300+ trucks . He was out in one of the company wreckers when pulled into DOT . kept him for over an hour to fine him for broken spring in fire extinguisher. Think how many lives have been saved by springs in fire extinguisher brackets. Yea it is about safety. If they want to fine they will.

It was a single axle international 4700. Don't quote me on this but I'm pretty sure the door sticker said 19k gvwr. And I know the trailer was a 14k gvwr. And to the CT guy yes I did get dot'd.

You would need a Class A CDL, apportioned plates, and fuel tax for that GVW combination of vehicles.

Jesus, Louise, my head hurts from reading this thread. Maybe I'll read it all again tomorrow and try to figure out what the hell most of you are saying. LOL

Thank God for Farm Tags and that 150 mile radius around the farm. :D

I am in butler county pa. They fine trailers over 10000 if no cdl .It holds up in court. I know no one that has beat that fine. Something else I have heard is that registering down does not matter, it is what the trailer is stamped for...... . My in -law was pulled in for DOT. inspection in his superduty with trailer. ..Everything was new truck and trailer his driver had cdl and medical card. It took DOT an hour but they found a way to fine. Truck had annual inspection [the one from the dealership] but with trailer needed semi annual. Fined driver fined owner and went to inspection mechanic. I do not know if mechanic received fine or not . Human reaction not to believe but i see it and have felt it. A friend of my is head mechanic for 300+ trucks . He was out in one of the company wreckers when pulled into DOT . kept him for over an hour to fine him for broken spring in fire extinguisher. Think how many lives have been saved by springs in fire extinguisher brackets. Yea it is about safety. If they want to fine they will.

That is weird, but I guess they are into making money now. Last time I was through there on 79 the guy yelled for me to wait so I stopped. He asked me what happened to my thumb (smashed it BAD between the ramp and trailer) and if I have my paperwork. I told him what happened to the thumb and said yes to the paperwork. I started reaching for it when he stopped me. He just said I trust you. Get out of here and have a safe trip.I said thank you sir; have a good day and drove away.

The last truck I stopped had 17 out of service violations, no front brakes, cracked frame on both sides, no trailer brakes, and a 17 year old kid with a car license driving. Driving a tractor trailer loaded with hay, only 2 axles worth of brakes on the whole rig all the way from upstate NY to CT like that. Thats screwing the taxpayers?

Did your fine fix the brakes, the cracked frame, etc? Probably not. Most likely screwed a hard working family. The 17 year old kid has probably safely operated more equipment than the average Joe. The kid made it from Upstate NY to CT with his "unsafe" rig. Sounds like he knows how to adapt. I have no love for DOT cops. None.

I think it is funny how people cuss the cops (DOT or not) and say they are just out to make money and ruin your lives and take your first born. There are laws due to weights, lengths, heights, etc. The laws are to control who gets to drive those in excess of the standard size things that a 6th grader can drive down the road. They do this for your protection.

If you get fined...quitcherbishin' and fix your broken crap and get with the program.

I'm not required to have a CDL in my travels with what I do because of a farm exemption. That by NO means gives me the right to be ignorant of the law and drive unsafe loads on the public roads and jeapordize the lives of every 3 year old in a car seat that I pass. So you need to buy three orange triangles, an ABC fire extinguisher, and a box of tampons to get leagal.....so what.

It is amusing to me that it is "always someone elses fault". If you are behind the wheel, and in control of the vehicle, YOU are responsible to know the rules.

If ignorant ass people would secure their loads and not have wrecks they wouldn't NEED to tell folks to have a minimum of two straps and another one for every 10 ft of load. It is common sense folks. If there were no wrecks, we'd not need laws. There are wrecks and stupid folks. I grew up in a wrecker, I KNOW there are stupid folks.

Just be safe and get your junk together and quit whinin' about it. :D

Last edited:
Did your fine fix the brakes, the cracked frame, etc? Probably not. Most likely screwed a hard working family. The 17 year old kid has probably safely operated more equipment than the average Joe. The kid made it from Upstate NY to CT with his "unsafe" rig. Sounds like he knows how to adapt. I have no love for DOT cops. None.

If everybody with a truck did the right thing, I wouldn't need to tell them to fix the truck, it would have been done before it hit the road. Maybe the "hard working family" should have taken care of it before it went out on the road and maybe killed somebody. The "hard working family" live in a $750,000 house, and have speedboats, race cars, and drive Hummers, should have fixed their truck before it went out on the road. Or hired a professional driver, not a kid with car license.

Dump Truck Plows Through Intersection, Causing 20-Vehicle Accident and Killing 4 - New York Times

Wilcox sentenced to 6 years in prison

Updated: Wednesday, 24 Jun 2009, 10:59 PM EDT
Published : Wednesday, 24 Jun 2009, 5:31 AM EDT

Hartford (WTNH) - The former owner of a Bloomfield trucking company involved in the fatal Avon Mountain crash will spend the next six years in prison.

David Wilcox pleaded guilty earlier this year to four counts of second degree manslaughter, five counts of first degree assault and no contest to insurance fraud.

The 74-year-old former owner of American Crushing and Recycling is accused of rigging a truck with bad brakes and sending it out on the road. The truck careened down Avon Mountain in July of 2005, slamming into traffic at the intersection of Routes 44 and 10.

"This event that happened four years ago was not in any way an accident," the judge said to Wilcox. "You made a series of intentional choices which joined together to make this perfect storm that led to the Route 44 disaster. You knew that this truck had problems with its brakes, its clutch, its tires and its transmission."

Four people were killed. Eleven were injured.

"I can't imagine what the last four years have been for each of you," the judge said to the families of the victims that were in the courtroom for the sentencing. "Even after sentencing is imposed, your losses will remain just as profound as when you walked in here."

Authorities say after the crash Wilcox tried to reinstate insurance coverage for the dump truck.

Both Wilcox's wife and son have plead guilty to helping him cover up the fraud. They will be sentenced this summer and are expected to get some form of probation, not prison time.

Wilcox left the courtroom and headed right to a correctional facility where he will begin serving his sentence. He will be on probation for three years following his prison term.

Last edited:
If everybody with a truck did the right thing, I wouldn't need to tell them to fix the truck, it would have been done before it hit the road.

:thankyou2:

Exactly my thought. Why in the hell would you want to even drive a truck that wasn't fit for the road? I'm sure a lot of folks would change their tune if some big truck with no brakes killed THEIR kid.

It's just scary that companies send trucks like that on the road to save a few dollars in repairs. I always felt like if something is wrong and I don't fix it; I am risking everything. Hauling all that weight it is more likely than not that if I have a bad accident; I'm not walking away. Let alone injuring or killing someone else. I don't know if I could live with that knowing it was my fault.

Sounds like what the Mexicans are sending here. Do they have to obey U.S. laws like the Canadian trucks do?
When D.O.T.wrights you a fine it in Pa. it goes to data base. They give you a hard copy from their car. Anyone can access the records. Now picture this the chicken sh** fines can be used to show what an outlaw you are. Look at all the attorneys advertising truck accidents in the phone book.

If you read the whole story of that company that caused the crash, you would be sick to your stomach. He was operating with safety issues for years, changing his company name whenever he came up suspended registration, took the insurance off his trucks and was driving them anyway. Then after the wreck they tried putting the insurance back on and tried claiming it was the insurance companys fault, although they cashed the refund check from the insurance company. Lots and lots, years and years of problems. Not mistakes, deliberate actions that caused that crash.

Thats the guy I'm looking for, not bull****, trucks that are going to kill somebody. I don't care about little **** and never write tickets for little ****, safety violations only.

was the truck licenced for greater than 17,000 as a inspection mechanic if I put a semianual sticker on a truck 17,000 or less I could get in trouble for puting the wrong sticker on something.PA has gotten nuts lately with the dot stuff and I can't get the same answer out of any of them on licences dot numbers or combo weights I really don't think they know. I also love how they change laws and requiements and don't have to tell anyone they say its public record but who reads the vehical code on a monthly basis just to see if it changed?

D.o.t. data base I cannot get in with out a fee. Need to member of DAC

While looking for free access to DOT I noticed new law sounds like you have to give intent for CDL. Can anyone explain new law?

Back