Picking up a new(to me) trailer

Greg. that is an awesome trailer!! You certainly did get that for a steal!!!

Doug

Nice trailer Greg, and a great price. What is the access port on the right side? Looks like a drop down window? Too bad you don't have a door on the driver's side so you can get out of your race truck easy. As Rob said, we built ramps over the inner fenders, made loading the race truck very easy and lots of good storage under the ramps. Going around corners with that long ass thing will take some practice for sure. They cut the corners bad. What are the axles rated for? What size wheels and bolt pattern are under it? One funny thing when I bought our race trailer, I got it from a apple farmer up in Washington who was going to haul and sell apples out of it but never did it. When I went to crank it up to load it, I damn near had a stroke trying to get the damn thing up. I made a note to myself that Rob or some young dude was going to be doing that job in the future. No one told me it had a high and low gear. :D

I think you are going to wish you had more truck than what you have to pull it. And I'll bet you are looking closer to 20K once you get all the stuff in it, air compressor, generator, living quarters, race truck, tools, spare tires, extra parts etc. At least beef up the ass end of your ford at a minimum with air bags if you don't have them. The tongue weight will go way up when you get it loaded.

Looking good Greg! You'll definitely want to bring at least two spares with you on long trips!

Although mine is even more sensitive being a tag trailer, I can sure tell the difference depending on where the car is when I have only one car back there. I need to put some additional tie-downs so I can put the car just ahead of the axles (almost dead center). The tongue is too heavy when it's in the front position and too light when it's in back.

you have plenty of truck, that trailer will do fine even loaded, but it will cut corners like no other.

you have plenty of truck, that trailer will do fine even loaded, but it will cut corners like no other.

I'd like to pull one just to see how close to a frieght trian it handles on corners. :D I took out my mailbox a few weeks ago with a 40ft hay trailer. Apparently the tail-end swings way out when trying to keep the wheels from fallin' off the culvert pipe. LOL

I'd like to pull one just to see how close to a frieght trian it handles on corners. :D I took out my mailbox a few weeks ago with a 40ft hay trailer. Apparently the tail-end swings way out when trying to keep the wheels from fallin' off the culvert pipe. LOL

LOL, first time I had towed a reasonably long trailer in a while was hauling the DirtyMax trailer home from the Redding race. I dropped off my girlfriend at her house on our way back into town, and as I pulled out into the street I apparently took out her mailbox. Fortunately it just knocked it off the post... Since then I have gotten reacquainted with driving my trailer around town, but I still have to watch that tailswing!

hey "Dockboy" are you the one bringing all the snow in that big a$$ trailor back to Mi?

You deff got an awesome deal on the trailer, best of all.....it has the big door on the side so you can get out of the truck easy. Most have to climb out the window lol

Greg. that is an awesome trailer!! You certainly did get that for a steal!!!

Doug

Thanks Dougie

Nice trailer Greg, and a great price. What is the access port on the right side? Looks like a drop down window? Too bad you don't have a door on the driver's side so you can get out of your race truck easy. As Rob said, we built ramps over the inner fenders, made loading the race truck very easy and lots of good storage under the ramps. Going around corners with that long ass thing will take some practice for sure. They cut the corners bad. What are the axles rated for? What size wheels and bolt pattern are under it? One funny thing when I bought our race trailer, I got it from a apple farmer up in Washington who was going to haul and sell apples out of it but never did it. When I went to crank it up to load it, I damn near had a stroke trying to get the damn thing up. I made a note to myself that Rob or some young dude was going to be doing that job in the future. No one told me it had a high and low gear. :D

I think you are going to wish you had more truck than what you have to pull it. And I'll bet you are looking closer to 20K once you get all the stuff in it, air compressor, generator, living quarters, race truck, tools, spare tires, extra parts etc. At least beef up the ass end of your ford at a minimum with air bags if you don't have them. The tongue weight will go way up when you get it loaded.

The guy that had the trailer built hauled a dragster and a door car. The dragster was loaded first backwards, and then then the front end was lifted and held up with a bar. Then the door car was loaded backwards also and that swing up door on the right side was the escape hatch.

It is just like driving a tractor trailer! You need to plan your routes and remember to swing wide on corners.

The axles are 6000 lbs. with 16" 8 lug aluminum wheels. GVWR on the trailer is 21,600 lbs.

The trailer has a hydralic center jack. Just push a button to raise and lower the trailer. Only have to use the crank corner jacks for storing it.

The trailer already has a built in Onan 7000 generator.

The truck handles the trailer just fine the way it is. I weighed the trailer with the minivan in it on the way up and it wieghed 14,328 lbs. That is nearly twice what the deckover tag with my race truck on it wieghs and it handled like I was towing the empty tag. I don't see any issues when I get it fully loaded.

I agree

Again, you have to drive it like you are driving a semi

You deff got an awesome deal on the trailer, best of all.....it has the big door on the side so you can get out of the truck easy. Most have to climb out the window lol

Brian, the door is on the wrong side. Although I could climb out the passenger side of the truck. But the trailer has a winch in the bottom of the forward cabinet, so I will winch the truck in.

I will most likely use that door to sit at and sell T shirts to all my fans!! LOL

Last edited:
Hell of a deal, I would have bought it for that price aswell :clap: Congrats man..

Really a good deal since it already has a big generator, lift and winch. Still think it would be a better with one of those twin turbo 450 towing it. Check out this bad boy, that a 21' fiberglass boat with a 250hp outboard engine and trailer on top. He has since built a tow dolly that hooks onto the back of his truck in 3 places and has it rigs with airbags to change the caster on the dolly wheels so he can back it. Needed that since he now has a 38' 5th wheel he tows behind the truck and loaded boat. About 29K going down the road. No problem.

Greg since you now have all the towing and housing situation well under control we'll see you in Topeka in Sept right?

Attachments

• IMG_0225_3.JPG
    IMG_0225_3.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0226_1.JPG
    IMG_0226_1.JPG
    116.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0227_2.JPG
    IMG_0227_2.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I will most likely use that door to sit at and sell T shirts to all my fans!! LOL

I'll sell the shirts for ya Greg. It will help keep me busy, and away from Teds magic cooler.
LOL

Very nice find man. That's one of those deals where you almost feel bad for the seller. Almost :).

So...whats the golf cart look like?

Been easier to tow the boat behind.
Badass trailer for sure, wish i had one about half that.

Really a good deal since it already has a big generator, lift and winch. Still think it would be a better with one of those twin turbo 450 towing it. Check out this bad boy, that a 21' fiberglass boat with a 250hp outboard engine and trailer on top. He has since built a tow dolly that hooks onto the back of his truck in 3 places and has it rigs with airbags to change the caster on the dolly wheels so he can back it. Needed that since he now has a 38' 5th wheel he tows behind the truck and loaded boat. About 29K going down the road. No problem.

Greg since you now have all the towing and housing situation well under control we'll see you in Topeka in Sept right?

I can't believe D.O.T. does not bust his ba!!'s all the time. I do not doubt the truck handles the load fine but man thats got to be a interesting ride on a windy day... Not for me, but prop's to him him for taking the initiative to build something unique that gets the job done....

Been easier to tow the boat behind.
Badass trailer for sure, wish i had one about half that.

Lots of places don't allow towing triples, and this way he can get in with the whole rig the way he wants. I've told him he will need a T plate on his truck with that weight. Hasn't been stopped yet, sure if he ever is it will be a big fine. It is a very unique boat loader, all folds up and works very slick. At first he didn't have the front brace on the truck, hauled it fine except would flex the frame on a quick stop. Not much of a Ford guy but that 450 the way he has it set up and the tune that is in it is a towing machine. That 450 will turn way tighter and any dmax by a long shot and way tighter than a 250 or 350 for that matter. Hell of a truck.

Here is a picture of how the boat loader works.

Attachments

• reduced 2.jpg
    reduced 2.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 0
Back