Platte City, MO-Big Payout Pull-July 23, 2011

If you pulled at TS, or Fass, its the same thing that was enforced there.

This is the rule posted on the Platte City Fair website:

My question is: This rule says nothing about hitches being 1. forward of the rear axle 2. above the frame rail...

If this rule which was posted months ago on an official website isnt correct... than how many of the other ones are not also??

Hitch:
The hitch must be a "Reese"-style hitch; reinforcements are permitted. Trick hitches are prohibited. The
hooking point must be the rear-most point on the vehicle and must be rearward of the stock location of
the tailgate. The hitch must be horizontal to the ground and stationary in all directions. Bumpers may be
notched or removed. The hitch's height from the ground may not exceed 26 inches. The hooking point
must have a minimum 3.00 inch wide x 3 ¾ length inside diameter opening for the sled hook. The
hooking point must be a minimum of 44” from the center of the rear axle to the center of the hooking
point. The hooking point will be measured to the center of the clevis loop.

This is the rule posted on the Platte City Fair website:

My question is: This rule says nothing about hitches being 1. forward of the rear axle 2. above the frame rail...

If this rule which was posted months ago on an official website isnt correct... than how many of the other ones are not also??

Hitch:
The hitch must be a "Reese"-style hitch; reinforcements are permitted. Trick hitches are prohibited. The
hooking point must be the rear-most point on the vehicle and must be rearward of the stock location of
the tailgate. The hitch must be horizontal to the ground and stationary in all directions. Bumpers may be
notched or removed. The hitch's height from the ground may not exceed 26 inches. The hooking point
must have a minimum 3.00 inch wide x 3 ¾ length inside diameter opening for the sled hook. The
hooking point must be a minimum of 44” from the center of the rear axle to the center of the hooking
point. The hooking point will be measured to the center of the clevis loop.

47 trucks passed tech at ts with the same rule. When a hitch goes to your cab, or in your bed, it is not "reese" style. :nail:

The hitch should be under the bed, and behind centerline of the rear axle.

I know at TS there were multiple "drawbar" style hitches that had to be welded to the rear support in order to pass tech. I would guess the same fix was made at FASS also.

I know at TS there were multiple "drawbar" style hitches that had to be welded to the rear support in order to pass tech. I would guess the same fix was made at FASS also.

Exactly, it can either be welded, or bolted to the rear most point. We welded mine at ts, then fixed it with a bolt afterwards so its still adjustable.

Last edited:
For those that want to come to the pull and have a truck, you can call my cell phone at 1-816-617-2465 or at the shop in the morning at 1-816-233-3736. Ask for Tim.

We want everyone to come to the pull. If you have a trick hitch, or one that doesn't even resemble a Reese Style Hitch, "IE hitch with a pin to hold a clevis" Send us a picture of it or show up early enough to have it checked. If you can't atleast do this then I guess you do not want to pull and try winnin some money. These rules are the same that Schieds and TS use for their events. They can be interpeted many different ways. So however many people in this country there are there is probably a different interpetation by each individual. We are doing our best to interpet them and make it fair for everyone. If you pulled at TS or Indy, then you are probably fine. Show up and lets pull.

I know that many of the associations here in Missouri do not run the same rules, but these rules are the ones picked for this years Platte County Fair. Lets all try and make this work and have a great pull.

Again call with questions
Tim

The hitch deal is this. The pulling point, the thing that attaches the hitch to the truck and is pulled rearward on, must be the rear part of the truck. Example you have a drawbar style hitch, there is a pin that is at the forward location that is the pivot point. The adjuster just adjusts it up and down, but doesn't actually get pulled in the horizontal direction, well you need a pin or such through it so that it is pulled on when you pull it. Basically to do this you take most of the adjustment out of the drawbar and have to rely on other means.

You can't pull only on the point that is the front most point.

Call SJD for questions ask for Tim, I have drawn a picture and am waiting on SJD to approve of the pic before I post. SJD is having internet issues so they aren't able to post.

SJD 816-233-3736

Tim doesn't do anything there anyway so make his phone blow up! LOL

They also said if you have questions be there before 8 and allow time to address the issues if you think you may have some, gates close at 8 and you need to be teched before 8. I was told there would be a welder and cutter available, but I wouldn't count on one welder and cutter to be free for someone to completely redo a hitch.

Think of it just like a reese receiver hitch, the hitch attaches to the frame and the hitch is held in with a pin, that pin is at the rear part of the hitch.

Dan very well put. Post up a pic.

Again we want everyone to be there, Hopefully I have answered everyone so far. If you have a question please give me a call or show up early enough to have it looked at.

Tim

here are pics of mine built following the scheid rules. Gray, maybe but it does not break any part of the rule as written. 4th post down. I can put a hitchball in and tow a trailer if you want. LOL Seriously though if you put a bolt in it then you cant adjust the height which defeats the pupose. The hooking pin is behind the rear axle and meets the minimum 44" rule and is the rearmost point of truck.

Let's see your pullin hitches!!! - Page 24 - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

Last edited:
whats the point of the bolt though? If thats the case then the factory reese hitches that come on trucks should not be allowed to be slid up underneath the bed cause their "bolt" would be farther forward also. Maybe the rules need to read the "pinpoint must be rearward of the tailgate just like a unmodified hitch would be

Sooooo... in other words, make damn sure your hitch height is correct before you put your bolt through or you're F'd... because the bolt being through the drawbar would make it not very easy to adjust...

here are pics of mine built following the scheid rules. Gray, maybe but it does not break any part of the rule as written. 4th post down. I can put a hitchball in and tow a trailer if you want. LOL Seriously though if you put a bolt in it then you cant adjust the height which defeats the pupose. The hooking pin is behind the rear axle and meets the minimum 44" rule and is the rearmost point of truck.

Let's see your pullin hitches!!! - Page 24 - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

Tim it doesn't look like your hitch will pass the tech.

whats the point of the bolt though? If thats the case then the factory reese hitches that come on trucks should not be allowed to be slid up underneath the bed cause their "bolt" would be farther forward also. Maybe the rules need to read the "pinpoint must be rearward of the tailgate just like a unmodified hitch would be

Yea there needs to be some wording, you could get very creative with a hitch that meets the rules.

So much of this comes back to application of statics, which will disprove a lot of the theories.

Yeah I mean it's not a big deal for me to put a bolt in but It is not stated in the wording anywhere that says a rear pin is required or a certain distance to clevis pin is required. Minus the bolt, my hitch is behind the axle centerline, has the minnimum distance of 44" from axle centerline to center of hook point. Reinforcements are allowed as long as they stop at the axle It is stationary in all directions and is horizontal to the ground. The hook point is the rearmost point and after the tailgate location. I don't see how it would not fit the rules.

Thegray area is the hitch reinforcement. Because it does not say that the reinforcement can not be ran directly to the hook point or if it does then it needs to be pinned. Not trying to be a butthead but that bolt being needed is by interpretation only and as stated there are thousands of those. The trucks are dedicated Pullers so why mess with the hitches as long as the don't move during the pull

Yeah I mean it's not a big deal for me to put a bolt in but It is not stated in the wording anywhere that says a rear pin is required or a certain distance to clevis pin is required. Minus the bolt, my hitch is behind the axle centerline, has the minnimum distance of 44" from axle centerline to center of hook point. Reinforcements are allowed as long as they stop at the axle It is stationary in all directions and is horizontal to the ground. The hook point is the rearmost point and after the tailgate location. I don't see how it would not fit the rules.

Thegray area is the hitch reinforcement. Because it does not say that the reinforcement can not be ran directly to the hook point or if it does then it needs to be pinned. Not trying to be a butthead but that bolt being needed is by interpretation only and as stated there are thousands of those. The trucks are dedicated Pullers so why mess with the hitches as long as the don't move during the pull

This is what scheids is doing to make draw bar style hitch "reese" style. Since Platte City decided to go with the same rules they are trying to push that. You could pick through the words and build some extravagant hitch, but the word "reese" style will get you everytime. Like i said 47 trucks passed tech at TS, and i didnt see anybody crying too much on the forums, so its obviously not too hard to do. Might as well get it done, because if its not done for platte city you will have to do it before sdx anyways.

Back