Platte City, MO-Big Payout Pull-July 23, 2011

Yea there needs to be some wording, you could get very creative with a hitch that meets the rules.

So much of this comes back to application of statics, which will disprove a lot of the theories.

You are correct in your first sentence except for the fact it states "reese style". Whens the last time you seen a Reese Hitch that pulls off the top of your axle? If anything i think people are being lax for allowing draw bars period with that rule. Do i agree with it? No. I have a drawbar hitch, but we made mine legal in the rain and mud at ts, look at it as a head start.

If people wouldnt try to build rediculous hitches to push the rules, we wouldnt be in this spot in the first place.

"reese style" to me means you have a hitch that accepts ball mount of some sort that is held in by a single pin. Mine does that. Like I said though I'm just playing alittle devils advocate here. I will be legal to pull now I just got to get the ring and pinion put in. LOL

That is what Schieds wanted at TS for all of those that were running a drawbar style hitch. Nice drawing Ryan.

You guys gonna come to the pull or are you still pulling with MSTPA?

Yeah I mean it's not a big deal for me to put a bolt in but It is not stated in the wording anywhere that says a rear pin is required or a certain distance to clevis pin is required. Minus the bolt, my hitch is behind the axle centerline, has the minnimum distance of 44" from axle centerline to center of hook point. Reinforcements are allowed as long as they stop at the axle It is stationary in all directions and is horizontal to the ground. The hook point is the rearmost point and after the tailgate location. I don't see how it would not fit the rules.

Thegray area is the hitch reinforcement. Because it does not say that the reinforcement can not be ran directly to the hook point or if it does then it needs to be pinned. Not trying to be a butthead but that bolt being needed is by interpretation only and as stated there are thousands of those. The trucks are dedicated Pullers so why mess with the hitches as long as the don't move during the pull

I agree completely. That hitch looks identicle to the one Rob runs. However there is a bolt that runs through the drawbar making it solid to the reinforcements at the back of the truck. I guess that it is easiest explained that a reese reciever is solid in the back of the truck, there is a 2" ball, or a 3 x 3 3/4 clevis for pulling slid into that solid reciever. The clevis can be adjustable, but what holds it should be just like a reese reciever that is solid in all directions. Does that make sense. I do not agree with it, but that is the way that the rule is being interpeted.

This is what scheids is doing to make draw bar style hitch "reese" style. Since Platte City decided to go with the same rules they are trying to push that. You could pick through the words and build some extravagant hitch, but the word "reese" style will get you everytime. Like i said 47 trucks passed tech at TS, and i didnt see anybody crying too much on the forums, so its obviously not too hard to do. Might as well get it done, because if its not done for platte city you will have to do it before sdx anyways.

Exactly

Already done so I'm okay. I had this exact conversation with Joe at scheids and told him I could care less about the rule itself. It's the changes to the rules that are being made off of somebodies interpretation of the rules.

Anyway, there should be some good competition there.
Tim

You are correct in your first sentence except for the fact it states "reese style". Whens the last time you seen a Reese Hitch that pulls off the top of your axle? If anything i think people are being lax for allowing draw bars period with that rule. Do i agree with it? No. I have a drawbar hitch, but we made mine legal in the rain and mud at ts, look at it as a head start.

If people wouldnt try to build rediculous hitches to push the rules, we wouldnt be in this spot in the first place.

I have an idea that fits the reese style and it would really torque some folks off I am sure. Hopefully if they choose to stay with the reece style wording in the rules they add some further requirements, like tim said pin must be certain distance from hook point etc.

It still goes back to statics and once the hitch becomes part of the truck and make some assumptions to perform the analysis on it, it blows alot of "theories" that folks come up with.

I have an idea that fits the reese style and it would really torque some folks off I am sure. Hopefully if they choose to stay with the reece style wording in the rules they add some further requirements, like tim said pin must be certain distance from hook point etc.

It still goes back to statics and once the hitch becomes part of the truck and make some assumptions to perform the analysis on it, it blows alot of "theories" that folks come up with.

What was said to me this morning is that a reese hitch is a hitch that mounts to the rear of the vehicle. it does not move in any direction, nor is it adjustable. However anything put into that hitch like a 2" drop, or a 2" raise is ok. So the guys that have a bar going from frame rail to frame rail and then have a piece of tube in the middle that accepts a clevis is ok. The clevis can be adjustable, just as long as what holds the clevis is stationary...

This way the guys that have an actual reese hitch that has an adjustable clevis that is pinned into the hitch is ok and the guys running a drawbar that is solid to the rear and has a clevis pinned into that is also ok.

As before a reese hitch is not adjustable when you buy it so if you have a draw bar, it shouldn't be adjustable either. That is the way that schieds inforced it at ts so I would assume that the tech people are going to do the same at platte county.

$.02

What was said to me this morning is that a reese hitch is a hitch that mounts to the rear of the vehicle. it does not move in any direction, nor is it adjustable. However anything put into that hitch like a 2" drop, or a 2" raise is ok. So the guys that have a bar going from frame rail to frame rail and then have a piece of tube in the middle that accepts a clevis is ok. The clevis can be adjustable, just as long as what holds the clevis is stationary...

This way the guys that have an actual reese hitch that has an adjustable clevis that is pinned into the hitch is ok and the guys running a drawbar that is solid to the rear and has a clevis pinned into that is also ok.

As before a reese hitch is not adjustable when you buy it so if you have a draw bar, it shouldn't be adjustable either. That is the way that schieds inforced it at ts so I would assume that the tech people are going to do the same at platte county.

$.02

:hehe: Does anyone feel like they are explaining the same thing over and over?

That's fine then but the rules need to say that and they don't. I actually think Reese hitch should be located in factory position behind the bumper. Only two angle gussets too support the center of it are allowed. That way everybody is the exact same setup and the tech could take a ten second glance to see that it passes.

bif
That's fine then but the rules need to say that and they don't. I actually think Reese hitch should be located in factory position behind the bumper. Only two angle gussets too support the center of it are allowed. That way everybody is the exact same setup and the tech could take a ten second glance to see that it passes.

What about it? I don't see what the big deal is. It's a big boy pulling class. No street in it right? I'm just wondering who got beat by a drawbar hitch and cried to Dan Scheid!!!

I do agree, but we are trying to accomodate everyone. We are trying to keep safety #1 and then make sure that no one is cheating. Last year everything ran really smooth. Adam and the rest of the Tech guys did an awsome job. I am sure that some things were twisted a bit, but everyone had a great time so lets do the same this year and make if happen.

I'm gonna modify my hitch for scheids cause to be honest, I didn't see an y change with this modified hitch over the unmoved one with the pin able hitch I
Not arguing with you guys personally, cause i know it's their rules. I don't want to make anybody mad. LOL

I'm gonna modify my hitch for scheids cause to be honest, I didn't see an y change with this modified hitch over the unmoved one with the pin able hitch I
Not arguing with you guys personally, cause i know it's their rules. I don't want to make anybody mad. LOL

I agree and we are also not wanting to make anyone mad. We want everyone to come to the pull and try taking some prize money home with them. It is also very nice to have other trucks show up that are not seen everyweek. I am a home town guy, but having a ton of trucks show up is awsome.

Tim

If all you guys made enough power you wouldnt have to worry about building cheater hitches. :stab::lolly:

If all you guys made enough power you wouldnt have to worry about building cheater hitches. :stab::lolly:

I make too much power and need the cheater hitch to put it to the ground, LOL

:lolly:

You know what i am gonna do to my hitch? "im just gonna look at it"

Solves everything! :hehe:

would ya just look at it?! Just take a good look at it! I bet if you look at it, you'll win! O look! ya got me runnin all around the truck now! LMAO

Back