Project Leftovers: The Rise of Frankenstein

Update: Fueling Upgrades Injectors & P7100 Pump
For fueling upgrades, we decided to go with a custom set of BGD 5x.025" VCO injectors. These have a custom spray pattern that's about 5* wider than stock and all the typical body and needle modifications for maximum flow.

FrankensteinInjectors1_zps0a945b5f.jpg

FrankensteinInjectors4_zps39e02317.jpg

FrankensteinInjectors3_zps1e3dc530.jpg

In the past, Todd has had good luck with a previous 13mm P7100 pump from Kevin @ Northeast Diesel, so Todd made the call to spend a large chunk of the build budget on a new 13mm pump from Northeast Diesel. This injection pump was setup to be somewhat street friendly using the stock Bosch cam from the core 913 pump and 191 delivery valves along with a truck-type governor that's been modified for unlimited RPM.
The pump card lists the flow range as 420 to 910 cc's of fuel.

IMG_4315_zpsb3a483bb.jpg

To help make timing changes both fast and accurate, we decided to run a keyed drive hub/adjustable timing gear along with a billet aluminum cover to provide quick access for timing adjustments.

IMG_4323_zps68dcfc43.jpg

IMG_4335_zps0e8d155c.jpg

IMG_4336_zps9e506f16.jpg

IMG_4337_zps1832045c.jpg

For the return fuel, we used an aeromotive regulator mounted as depicted on the return line.
IMG_4356_zpsc0930fd7.jpg

Todd topped off the crank shaft with an SFI-rated fluid dampr to make the truck legal to run sub 11.50 second passes.

IMG_4338_zpscc8abbec.jpg

14 squares vs 9.62. Not the end of the world with the IC's being machines. I'll sleep a bit better LOL!

Edit: That should have read,

14 squares vs 9.62. Not the end of the world with the IC's being density machines. I'll sleep a bit better LOL!

I sure can appreciate all the work that's going into that truck. Do you guys think you will be changing the timing between events or just for maximizing it before?
Can't imagine wiping my whole timing table for a fixed number.

I can't wait to see this thing perform. I respect the budget. Hope it works a planned

14 squares vs 9.62. Not the end of the world with the IC's being density machines. I'll sleep a bit better LOL!

I sure can appreciate all the work that's going into that truck. Do you guys think you will be changing the timing between events or just for maximizing it before?

that makes more sense. If the math is close the density of air on the outlet should be about 50% more dense than on the inlet side, so it should need 50% less room right?

Thanks, it has been a large project for a beginner fabricator like myself. I really like the pump gear for the keyed shaft. hoping to find a dyno in southern utah to tune on then would like to play with timing on dyno. I have asked H&S to use their dyno in the past but they are never to excited about my old 12V. I think PDI may let me come and rent out their dyno.

What was done to the head/intake? In one pic it appears to be the factory intake with grid heater, in the others it looks like a custom intake.

Looks to me like it was shaved to port and polished and them bolted or re welded to the head to make it appear stock to accept the intake heater.

the pics above were not taken on the same day. On the overhead pic of the pump the old stock head was still on. the pic with the fuel regulator has the new head on. intake heater has been deleted.

Update: Intake charge piping & FIRST START-UP

Well, Todd got the intake plumbing finished up, complete with water line plumbing to the massive Bell Charge Air Cooler:

IMG_4363_zps66106fbf.jpg

IMG_4364_zps22f25152.jpg

Also fabricated was a twin air intake in lieu of the single cast air horn setup:

IMG_4369_zpseae4a10a.jpg

IMG_4357_zps045de0ce.jpg

V-bands where possible to minimize the risk of blown boots:

IMG_4361_zps62150340.jpg

IMG_4362_zpsfe65c633.jpg

IMG_4365_zps14c28509.jpg

First Start-Up!!!!!

[ame]http://vid1381.photobucket.com/albums/ah234/projectleftoverdiesel/MVI_4372_zpsuxikhxxf.mp4[/ame]

Awesome work, glad to see it all fitting. Looking forward to seeing how they light! You definitely have my vote for DPC.

I uploaded the start up video to YouTube so it it's easier to watch.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIkPFpY8_Lo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIkPFpY8_Lo[/ame]

What the hell..."triple turbo 120 lbs of boost" were getting held out on here!

Going to need to get you to go ahead and forward me the dyno data on that primary charge air cooler. My data is screaming for one and I'm having trouble getting the lead out and get it did.

What the hell..."triple turbo 120 lbs of boost" were getting held out on here!

Going to need to get you to go ahead and forward me the dyno data on that primary charge air cooler. My data is screaming for one and I'm having trouble getting the lead out and get it did.

If I can get find a dyno within reasonable distance I will make all data available.

No use putting your cards on the table before DPC.... But you can go ahead and PM me with the dyno data if you do some tuning. LOL

Put any thought into the sled pulling portion? Hook before?

I have very little experience in pulling. I have hooked before but with way way less power than what i will be at now. I think about it all the time. I do not want to have any major handicap in this event so I will be looking for a lot of info in this area. I plan to pm a few people about this after i get some basic tuning done. You are one of the people I will be looking to for information for sure.

I have very little experience in pulling. I have hooked before but with way way less power than what i will be at now. I think about it all the time. I do not want to have any major handicap in this event so I will be looking for a lot of info in this area. I plan to pm a few people about this after i get some basic tuning done. You are one of the people I will be looking to for information for sure.

what rear gears are you currently running? Since I have yet to see anyone in the DPC hang any weight your hitch set up will be critical, move it as far towards the front of the truck as you can and make your self some adjustable sup blocks for the rear.

what rear gears are you currently running? Since I have yet to see anyone in the DPC hang any weight your hitch set up will be critical, move it as far towards the front of the truck as you can and make your self some adjustable sup blocks for the rear.

Is it even in the DPC rules that you can hang weight? Makes me wonder what else he can do for the sled event that would normally be enforced, say in the 2.6 class, that won't be at DPC.

Is it even in the DPC rules that you can hang weight? Makes me wonder what else he can do for the sled event that would normally be enforced, say in the 2.6 class, that won't be at DPC.

I have no idea honestly I have never read there rules. Just from watching the videos and reading the write ups I have yet to see anyone hang weight. If tire swapping is allowed from event to event that is also something to look into.

Front and rear limited slips would also get my vote allows you to still turn and will greatly help in the sled pulling event.

Back