Project X Diesel VW Hot Rod Drag Week

That car has 116 bolts to get the rear bumper off, 50-60 to get off the front clip (counting lugs and liner screws), 5 per door panel (2 #2 phillips, 3 T25's), you cant remove much weight from them (unless you like the windos permently up), the most god awfull radiator clamps known to man, and use a 4' prybar to remove any interior trim.

Greg will come talk to us to relieve the stress from working on that thing LOL

Looks like Greggy Poo is making some new friends. I wonder who may warn them of them impeding doom of boring post, advertisements, bogus claims and other various crap.

$50 Greg breaks the reatainer attempting to remover the headlamps.

$20 he breaks the radiator or hoses removing them.

Any takers?

, it laid down a whopping 68 hp on Dr Performance’s dyno , I was told that its should have been close to 90 hp , and that possibly the Maf sensor is bad , or the intake manifold is stopped up , well enough of this neck snapping performance, the head is coming off and going to get ported , with that a the upgraded turbo , VP33 pump , and injectors , its going to gain a little power. I am dropping the pan to give the pistons a little more vlave clearance , for the new MaxSpool TDI cam, I’ve ground about 20 for the TDI over the last few years ,with great success , so it time to use one myself .

The Bug weighed in at 2858 and with Samantha’s 100 lbs that’s too close to 3000 lbs for me , we are going on a diet . I see at least 200 lbs and still leave it livable on the 1500 mile journey would not want some ones make up melting

DSCN1260.jpg

$50 Greg breaks the reatainer attempting to remover the headlamps.

$20 he breaks the radiator or hoses removing them.

Any takers?

"Is it true the ring gear is riveted on?"

wtf you expect:hehe::hehe:

That car has 116 bolts to get the rear bumper off, 50-60 to get off the front clip (counting lugs and liner screws), 5 per door panel (2 #2 phillips, 3 T25's), you cant remove much weight from them (unless you like the windos permently up), the most god awfull radiator clamps known to man, and use a 4' prybar to remove any interior trim.

Greg will come talk to us to relieve the stress from working on that thing LOL

They are just different Roach, not THAT bad! LOL LOL

And yes, I know what I speak of, the front fenders were the only parts left on the front end of my Jetta.

You havent been as far inside them as me :evil:

A bug is an entirely different animal than a Jetta, trust me.

I'll take your word on it since you deal with them more than I do.

Keep us updated Greg, and keep in mind that you know a fella who could always use spare parts :D

Why does it seem like Greg is talking to himself on both of these forums? Does he need to reassure himself that much?

its getting there , I'm in Wichita Falls now working on Project Z28 diesel. drove the little Bug up here , at 85 it got close to 40 mpg .

going over to ZZ to start woking on the new intake manifold

These little cars can be fun.. I had a 98 beetle. Greg, a few years ago I contacted Kerma TDI and asked for a race setup. I went with arp studs, tuning, race injectors, larger turbo, exhaust, and a racing clutch. That's all I can remember. They said it may or may not pop. I only took it to the track once, and it blew a boot and rolled to a 14 second pass. That was coming out very easy because I was told that the rivets in the front end or the axles wouldn't hold. I do know it would toast a mustang gt from a roll and it smoked like it was a baby 12 valve with dirty 370's.. It will be neat to see what you can do with it..

I don't plan on it smoking , with Syndiesel as the fuel it will cut out 90% of the smoke , and a good dose of NX although is a much smaller amount, then I am use to will clean up the little bug .

Greg took a lot of pictures and measurements , and the individual runner manifold is going to look great . I am going to drop the pan while I have the head off and cun the pistons relief’s for the cam, and to drop the 19 to 1 compression down to what I know works on others about 16.4 to 1 *nx*

Started pulling weight off last night , the spare tire , and rear seat for a total of 90 lbs , bringing the weight down to a still heavy 2750 . I tried a tune for the first time , its as dramatic, as it is in our trucks, this little bug will flat bark the tires ..

I see another 200 lbs in exhaust system, and steel wheels , bumper supports , and sound deadening so a total weight of 2500 to 2600 now add in a driver , and nitrous bottle

i got a 05 tdi beetle as well, i aint after no records but with a gator tune and a new 18/56 garrett turbo it should run pretty good, i will have to go over to drp and dyno it to see what i got. and good luck with this project.

I see another 200 lbs in exhaust system, and steel wheels , bumper supports , and sound deadening so a total weight of 2500 to 2600 now add in a driver , and nitrous bottle

:hehe::bang

thats cool Greg, doing things like this is what the sport is all about !! cuting slugs, changing cams. sometimes doing what the factory could of if they worked on a smaller scale.thats what yanko did in the 60s.he knew it could be better.have fun with the build.

the turbo and fuel system is on the way , as well as H beam rods , and other little goodies

the Rods are here , they are nice parts , and should hold the expected 300 + hp Greg is porting the head now , and the new manifold is coming along great , with the possibility of a air to water intercooler built in. .
Steve at TDI of Fort Worth is jumping in and helping on installing the new peliquine racing Differential . I have been installing the Nitrous Express progressive system, along with the Snow Boost Cooler .

DSCN1275.jpg

Back