Pumpkin truck build thread

I'd look into modding your airbox or a BHAF n exhaust work if you haven't yet.

exhaust is stock, but I strait piped it. I also have the napa filter #6637 on the stock intake tube and the housing removed. The filter worked great on my 7.3, and fit perfect on the cummins too.

Thanks, im happy with the power level im at right now, minus a 3200 gov spring. When i start putting bigger #s down the 5 speed will go in too. I want a good solid all around truck before i start going fast. Next on the list is a good 1-3" lift with all new leaf springs and shocks. I was looking into the skyjacker kits. Anyone else make a good kit?

Skyjacker is the only one with a kit for diesels. Or you can get alcan springs custom made. I run a skyjacker 6" lift with there Nitro 8000 shocks. AWESOMe ride quality over stock.

I like your cooler idea. I ran a huge oil cooler by itself for about two days after my twins were put on. And I bout lost it. The trans would heat up in no time at a light. I relocated the heat exchanger to the front crossmember and everything is back to normal. It's crazy how much better water is at dissipating heat. Dont scrap the exchanger yet. I have a tranny temp guage and that exchanger is what keeps the trans cool and happy. Congrats on the rebuild. I did mine about a month before you. First timer as well, you described it to a T. anyways you got yourself a good looking truck there. It will last a long time. Get a pyro if you don't already have one. :rockwoot:

Eric

finally enough for an update! transmission is holding up fine. still an automatic though so it sucks. I have the power screw maxed and made a big difference. no gov spring yet, im going to get the 4k and the 110# valve spring all the same time and do it right.

installed 4" bmrp exhaust i bought off of a friend for $40! now it sounds like a cummins should!
IMG_20120505_190644.jpg

My temp gauge stopped working, which wasnt a big deal. i hate factory gauges without numbers anyway so installed a mechanical one with actual numbers on, not just stupid lines.
IMG_20120512_141908.jpg

the probe bottomed out on the bottom of the t stat housing so i found a little gasket to bring it up a hair.
IMG_20120506_130129.jpg

IMG_20120507_164411.jpg

The best $300 iv ever spent so far on the truck...
IMG_20120510_190509.jpg
GETRAG! still in search of the bell housing, flywheel, ect. does anyone know if the drive shafts are the same length? or a link to a swap? verry excited to ditch this inefficient auto.

Another thing i was searching for is a real good diagram of these VE pumps. i want to know how they work through and through. I am a tool man at a machine shop and have everything i need to make my own 13, 14mm head units. before i go and do that I need to understand the pump a little better.

oo and this should help the 230,000 mile engine wake right up! Steve Johnson flowed trash can solenoid. wont go on until i have the 5speed swap done and the good valve springs in. but i figure since it was sitting in the toolbox for the last year might as well put it to use!
IMG_20110613_233657.jpg

Where is the best place to tap into for the fuel side? I was thinking of running a holly blue pump for a stand alone fuel system, but I need to research it a little bit more.

So far im well under $5000 in the entire truck, and drive it every day. could not be happier.

You will need driveshafts yes. Uh a t-case shifter for the getrag, a 23-29 spline adapter between the rag n transfercase and a the pedal n clutch parts. If I were you I'd pull that top cover, look it over REALLY good and dump some 5w30 synthetic in it.

I'm liking this build, good thinking on the overdrive snap ring, not many folks would even see that as an option, much less attempt it!

DON'T run a Holley Blue, run a Black, it's more resistant to diesel.
Some of the 1st gen guys actually run a "Pro Comp" Black, which seems to hold up well.
I and another guy have been running ours for over 3 years with no issues.

The Getrag can be one finicky beast, but it's quite a bit simpler than an automatic to go through.
You can hit me up for the Getrag parts, got a lot of it sitting around and I'd be more than happy to help a fellow 1stgenner out.

Mark.

If you need any help on a prob with the getrag or the swap PM me I`ve gotten good at dealing with the internals up the tranny n pulling n putting it back in.

Things have not been going my way. my fuel shut off solenoid started to leak after i gutted it, so i welded it closed, must have warped to much and will not seal. So i started another project. I am working with some of the best machinists i know to develop my own 14mm head unit. At this point im really just reading and reading to figure these pumps out.
It will be a slow process, and might not even work but im sure as hell going to try. Another idea i had was to replace the shut off solenoid with a fitting and regulator to run a line to for the fuel side on my n2o set up. would this defuel my pump and cause problems?
front clip off makes it so much easier to wrench on
IMG_20120705_214340.jpg

I actually didnt remove the pump from the engine quite yet. but here is what i got.
IMG_20120712_222315.jpg

since my front is saggin so bad, for laughs i decided to pull the big helper spring out in the rear. sits a bit more level know and i think it will look good with 20"s in the future.
IMG_20120709_175319.jpg

I've read from a few others who have tried running fuel to the shutdown solenoid port. From what info I gathered, it's practically worthless. With the amount of pressure within the case only increasing with RPM, you'd need a ridiculous amount of supply pressure to even overcome the case pressure. STOMP stated that the dyno proved absolutely no changes in HP or the amount of fuel delivered (in cc's).

If you do get a custom 14mm head and rotor, send me the info.

Also, I have a few things they can look into helping the 14mm live.

Another thing i was searching for is a real good diagram of these VE pumps. i want to know how they work through and through. I am a tool man at a machine shop and have everything i need to make my own 13, 14mm head units. before i go and do that I need to understand the pump a little better.

Here are a few links to hopefully get you started at least.

Robert Bosch VE Pump Operation - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums - View Single Post - VE pump, advanced level

Robert Bosch VE-type Injection Pump

Back