Purple People Eater Sh*t itself today

Not at all. They are even more tolerant of edges, where the cookies tend to lathe down, those deflect and keep going.

So break in procedures. The new turbo will be here tomorrow, so hopeufully will be able to get it buttoned up with turbo's mounted on sunday.

How stable are these to test on the ground, or on a hoist? I'd like to run the first heat cycle outside the truck so I can do the studs without getting pissed at the cowl. And My elbows take a much harder strain when doing them in the truck.

For the first heat cycle. How long, and can you still do it with no water?

Once its in the truck, what is the preferred break in? How long before I can give it a good boosted run?

I would not consider doing a break in cycle without water. Last thing you want are any isolated hot spots.

IMO engine break in is largely about the valvetrain. I lost track of your build, but if a new cam is involved follow their breakin procedure including oil additives. After that is complete I run engines hard. In tractors we hooked them to a plow and ran them. Semi's we loaded them and headed for the hills. Naturally aspirated gas engines we took them out on the road and WOT to rated RPM then full closed, repeat util you got tired of running up and down the road. Never had blow by issues, and compression always stayed higher through the life of the engine.

I would not consider doing a break in cycle without water. Last thing you want are any isolated hot spots.

IMO engine break in is largely about the valvetrain. I lost track of your build, but if a new cam is involved follow their breakin procedure including oil additives. After that is complete I run engines hard. In tractors we hooked them to a plow and ran them. Semi's we loaded them and headed for the hills. Naturally aspirated gas engines we took them out on the road and WOT to rated RPM then full closed, repeat util you got tired of running up and down the road. Never had blow by issues, and compression always stayed higher through the life of the engine.

It's a used stock cam, with new tappets. I'll be adding a crap load of zinc. Should I just hitch the trailer and drive home? Be about 13k gross for 65 miles in mild hill country.

Should I keep boost under a certain pressure? Or Egt?

How many miles should I put on the break in oil?

Last edited:
Iwas told, break in cam like flat tappet gasser, warm up.
retorque head, set valves, then full rpm burn out. A couple times

Iwas told, break in cam like flat tappet gasser, warm up.
retorque head, set valves, then full rpm burn out. A couple times
Burn Out sounds fun. I'm forgetting what it feels like. I'm just afraid 100psi on fresh rings might be bad?

Mike you want to beat that engine hard. Might pull fuel back some with the plate maybe half way just have to use and abuse the engine. That causes everything to seal up
Well

Mike you want to beat that engine hard. Might pull fuel back some with the plate maybe half way just have to use and abuse the engine. That causes everything to seal up
Well
Ok, so assuming my trans lived, I'll just trash on it. This is arousing me just thinking about it!

Well
I don't have a plate, was gonna tighten star wheel.

Moslty wanted to keep soot out of the oil as much as possible.

Well

That's how I do it run it hard right away, Always works for me.

At least I know now that Oklahoma has more to offer than tornadoes and drag racing. Trifecta.

It really does have everything, and its closer than vegas!

Dude...we got Sweet Brown. Lot's of proud Oklahomans. :hehe:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydmPh4MXT3g"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydmPh4MXT3g[/ame]

It's a used stock cam, with new tappets. I'll be adding a crap load of zinc. Should I just hitch the trailer and drive home? Be about 13k gross for 65 miles in mild hill country.

Should I keep boost under a certain pressure? Or Egt?

How many miles should I put on the break in oil?
Dodge/Cummins did testing with a gooseneck and a large sheet structure to catch the wind back in 06/07

Back