questions on changing rear end

red dodge2

Im looking into maybe changing my rear end out of my 1997 puller from a D80 and going to a AAM 11.5

my truck originally is a d80 SRW, but i put longer studs and converted it to except duals. So im wondering if when i go searching for a AAM 11.5 do i search for one that is already a dually or do i find one that a SRW and make it to allow duals? i think one axle is wider than the other correct? any certain year to get? Also any modifications required to get this rear end to fit?

Also who make a good spool and axles for these? will need a 4.88 ring and pinion also.

i did the opposite, i took out my aam from my 2006 3/4 ton and put in a dana 80. All i had to do was weld new perches on the axle so the springs would match up. So u may have to do the same going your route

I always thought the aam was supposed to be better than the d80. Why did u go the opposite?

its just preference really. I had a dana 80 offered to me from a 3.0 truck that was fully built so i took it. I've seen my fair share of aam and dana 80 breakage on the pulling track. The only thing that breaks on mine is the ring and pinion, they break in the aam just the same.

ya but the one thing i like about the AAM is the slack adjusters instead of shims. make it easy to change a r&p.

Well broke the rear end tonight, how will i know when setting the new one up if the pinion i set right? I know how to shim the carrier but never actually set up one from scratch before. Any help is appreciated! Also does anyone make studs instead of the bolts for the caps?

Last edited:
Keep track of the pinion depth and preload shims and start out with the same amount on the new one. Should get you pretty close. Once you get it set up, see what kind of backlash you have. If the backlash is acceptable, paint the ring gear and see what kind of pattern you have.

The best way is to buy some set up bearings ( Which are just like the ones in a rebuild kit but ground so they will slide on an off easly) and also get a pinion set up tool... but if your like me ill work with what i have.. pulled this pic off google. would work just fine.

Attachments

• imagesCAG2SKR1.jpg
    imagesCAG2SKR1.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 0
There is an ARP stud kit that fits the Dana 80. I think the part number is for a Ford 9 inch but fits the Dana 80 also. I can't seem to find the P/N now. I'll try to do some digging tonight.

appear that i broke the left side bearing cap then it just ate the ring and pinion. can i get a set of caps are am i going to have to get the whole axle housing?

In theory, those caps would be line bored while bolted to the housing, just like Main bearing caps.

Dana Break down lists them as "contact vehicle manufacturer" I guess maybe see if dodge lists them as available? Im guessing no. But ive never hand to replace a broken one either.

Ben my brother broke a bearing cap a couple of years ago and we just got one out of another rear diff. They are actually "married" to one another but it never gave any trouble. Do u run a girdle on yours?

Back