Rear end problems

wrongway

I"m pretty sure I killed another Dana 70 last night in a race that I should have won. I need some serious idea's for something stronger, but lighter. I'm really leaning toward doing a 9" Ford front and rear. I know Gabby has run that setup with fairly good sucess. I know it's a little on the expensive side, but if that's what it takes I'll do it. Anybody with some good solid experience I would greatly appreciate your thought's. Gary

It's still very stock actually. Pretty tough for what I've put it through :lolly: Just looking at the 9" option for weight and I think it would be as strong as a 70 if built right.

My injector lines caused it to gain so much power it broke the 70!

Very stock as in really stock? LOL Guessing you've got axles and a locker or spool right?

the 70 is stronger than a 9 " all day long, matter of fact the dana 60 is about as strong as a 9, you must not have the better parts in your 70. Call randy @ randy's offroad connection, he will set you up.

if you must have a 9" then strange engineering has the toughest 9" thirdmembers around.

I'd call randy's ring and pinion they set my 70 up, not randy's offroad.

i would stay with the dana axles.building a 9 for the front would be serious money!! plus the dana axles with aftermarket parts like spools and axles will be stronger anyway. 9 3/4 rings vs 9". you will have a little more rotating weight but for the price difference you could most likely spend the saved money on the engine.

did you find out what broke in it yet?

Rear end problems
Gary

Well, If you'd stay out of the Gay bar...... :bigsmile: bif

(Subscribed... looking for a D70 spool, or options now...killed another traction unit last nite as well.)

All of this talk of units and wrecking rear ends makes me second guess you guys...

All of this talk of units and wrecking rear ends makes me second guess you guys...

And I think TurboMatt stayed at Gary's house last night, so you never know ;)

Gary, sorry to hear about that, I was grabbing some food & beer and didn't make it back over to see what broke. We've broken our share of 9" parts in DirtyMax, and I'm sure Brad can fill you in on what it has taken to make it live.

Thanks again for setting me up with a ride for yesterday's race. I'll race the rental car tomorrow, I figured the option of your truck was out the window when you broke.

eastcoastgearsupply.com
quickperformance.com

they have 70 spools

Cool, Thanks .

Ads

$500 seams a bit pricey, would prob. try a detroit locker for that kind of money, BUT, ad says it saves 20lbs of rotating weight.
hmmm... Never thought of that.

More ruffage in your diet.

I used a 10.5 sterling and narrowed it down. Its a freakin beast, but its also heavy.

Cool, Thanks .

Ads

$500 seams a bit pricey, would prob. try a detroit locker for that kind of money, BUT, ad says it saves 20lbs of rotating weight.
hmmm... Never thought of that.

That spool is for a dana 70 HD and not a 70 U. I heard it takes alot of machining to the spool and modification to the case to make it work in 70 U.

We still have the stock dana 70 in our truck, I took it apart recently and it seemed to be perfect inside. I haven't heard of to many issues with them drag racing. What did you break?

Last edited:
That spool is for a dana 70 HD and not a 70 U. I heard it takes alot of machining to the spool and modification to the case to make it work in 70 U.

We still have the stock dana 70 in our truck, I took it apart recently and it seemed to be perfect inside. I haven't heard of to many issues with them drag racing.

DANA 70 SPOOL

This one says it will fit all 3, but it dosent specify if it requires any mods or not.
Anybody know for sure?

Back