Ring gap

DISTURBED

YEA WE RIDE THE SHORT BUS
Anyone ever checked the ring gap on a .020 over bore at the max Cummins spec of 4.040? Everything ive found says .014-.025 gap. I'm trying to figure how much the extra .004 bore can effect the end gap. I'm setting at over .045 gap and when I stick the .020 ring in a std bore it's still over Cummins spec. So I'm trying to figure out if the rings are cut wrong. I've gotten 2 sets and they both fall into about the same gap just way to big.

I know. I put a std ring in a std bore and got .014. Put the .020 ring in the std bore and got like .030 so I know something is up with the rings. I'm going to try and get with tech support and see what they say. I may buy a ring set from another manufacturer and see what it measures.

This is a 5.9 CR so you know. Most people don't check this stuff. So if the normal Joe was putting this together there could be some serious blow by issues and they wouldn't know why

Last edited:
This is a 5.9 CR so you know. Most people don't check this stuff. So if the normal Joe was putting this together there could be some serious blow by issues and they wouldn't know why

Anybody with half a brain better know to check ring gap or I've lost more faith in humanity. :nail:

Mahle rings? Every set of over bore rings have been way on the high side out of the box that we've used.
Also, .001 extra bore = .003 ring gap

Last edited:
Mahle rings? Every set of over bore rings have been way on the high side out of the box that we've used.
Also, .001 extra bore = .003 ring gap

No these aren't Mahle rings. They are McBee but I've checked a set of Mahle rings and they set about the same. I'm kind puzzled why they would cut the them so big. I really don't want that much gap in a DD so I'm kinda screwed. Has anyone ever found a over sized Cummins ring kit that is cut to fit?

Not sure why you would think that would happen. Its common practice with Total Seal so you can file to fit in your application.

Total seal makes over sized rings for what ever bore you want. I use .005 over all the time. But my concern is take a 2" piece of pipe and and cut a piece out and compress it down so it will go in a 1-3/4 hole and tell me if the pipe touches the sides of the hole correctly all the way around. It won't be round any more

Total Seal sends +.020" over rings in stock bore application, and +.040" rings in cylinders bored .020" over.

This is not a 2" pipe.

My only concern with that is will the .040 over ring be round in a .020 bore and touch correctly all the way around

No it wont be round in the bore and you will be tearing it back apart. Rings are made to be file fit but for the bore they are made for to get desired ring gap per application.

The pipe was a reference for how a circle bends when it's compressed smaller then it's original size. A ring would be no different

You should check your facts first.

*Upgrade your standard ring set to a Total Seal Gapless # 2 Ring (We supply the Total Seal Rings in an +.020″ Size over whatever bore you ordered so that they can be custom file-fit

Piston Ring Upgrade, Dodge Cummins Total Seal Ring *Upgrade Only* (Convert #2 Ring to Gapless) - Enterprise EngineEnterprise Engine

Yes the rings are file fit to your proper gap. That doesnt mean you can file a oversized rings set down to go fit in the bore they wont be round. Ive dealt with this a mahle forged pistons with supplied total seal rings.

So they send you +.020" your bore size to file fit, but you cant take a +.020" ring and file fit it to your bore size?

meh

Anyone ever checked the ring gap on a .020 over bore at the max Cummins spec of 4.040? Everything ive found says .014-.025 gap. I'm trying to figure how much the extra .004 bore can effect the end gap. I'm setting at over .045 gap and when I stick the .020 ring in a std bore it's still over Cummins spec. So I'm trying to figure out if the rings are cut wrong. I've gotten 2 sets and they both fall into about the same gap just way to big.

Hey Jeremy what was your piston to wall? I ran into this issue a few times as well when the PTW is larger than spec

Back