Ripped Off by Forum Member Rawdog-Tom Nicholas

Twoforme2

I will first apologize as this is very long. However In an effort to prevent others from being ripped off by this guy, I feel it necessary to let the great guys at CompD know about the bad dealing of one Mr. Tom Nicholas aka rawdog

On December 9 of 2008 I sent Mr Nicholas a Money order in the amount of $1100 for a turbo he had for sale here in the classifieds http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41439

On December 18, 2008 the package was delivered by UPS with one of the corners smashed and a hole in the box. There was a crack in the Turbine Housing and the Wastegate actuator was bent over. Because of the condition of the box, I just jumped quickly to the conclusion that all the damage was caused by UPS.
I let Mr. Nicholas know about this, and then followed up with a phone call on December 19. He told me that he would contact UPS and file a claim. He also said more than once during the phone call that he would "make it right".
On January 8, 2009 I was informed by Mr. Nicholas that UPS denied the claim, and he had to file a dispute. He asked for pictures of the turbo so he could do so. Pictures were sent.
On January 16 I was getting a little frustrated because My goal was to have the truck put together how I wanted by March 1 and I was running out of time. I tried to get Mr. Nicholas to "make it right" like he said he was going to do.
Mr. Nicholas became very vulgar and offered to give me 500 dollars if I returned the turbo to him so I could "cut my losses".
He informed me that as soon as he got paid from UPS he would NEXT DAY a check to me.
On Feb 4 I contacted Mr. Nicholas again and he said we were still waiting, and he would send a check as soon as it was sent to him. I let him know that it could be repaired for about $500. As I was about ready to give up and just send it to be fixed. I held off, also not knowing if UPS was going to want the turbo back when/if they paid to prove it was destroyed.

So at this point I figured I had nothing to do but wait, and I was still trying to get my truck built, so I made arrangements to buy another turbo.

On February 7 Mr. Nicholas Contacted me and let me know he got a check from UPS and would send out the $500 to fix it. I told him I would rather just send him back the turbo and he can refund my $1100 and then he can do whatever he wished to do with the turbo.
He again got very Vulgar and on Feb 8 said he was just sending the $500 and would be done with this.
So Fine, I wait nothing shows up that week. I try to fine out when he sent it since he said before we would NEXT DAY a check to me. After Mr. Nicholas would not return my e-mails I called him and he said he sent the check by regular mail.
Feb 21, I informed Mr. Nicholas that I had still not recieved him money and if I did not have it by Feb 25 I was going to take further action. I then sent the Turbo off to be repaired. and did not take any action on the 25th as I figured I would wait until I knew for sure what the turbo repair costs were going to be.
I got called today and was informed by the Turbo Company that this turbo had problems, it had been rebuilt at some point because the compressor wheel had worn a groove in the housing, and there was a hole drilled and helicoiled in the housing. A crappy job was done as the helicoil protrudes into the housing. SO now not only does the turbine housing need replaced but also the compressor housing. They did say that the internals were all in brand new shape though. They also sent me pictures of the housing to prove this.
When I contacted Mr. Nicholas again about this today, stating that he sold me what was supposed to be a NEW turbo, and I now had questions as to wether the damage that was on the exhaust housing was there before it ever left his place. He again got very vulgar and accused ME of destroying the turbo.

Mr. Nicholas sold me a turbo that was bad to begin with, despite the damage that may or may not have been caused by UPS. Then Defrauded UPS for another $1100.

SO if you are considering ever doing business with RAWDOG, Mr. Tom Nicholas is someone you should seriously consider avoiding, unless you want to be ripped off and verbally abused!

Sorry about the trouble man, 99.9% of comp-d members are not like this. There is always a bad apple in every bunch.

bummer, I hate being ripped off, I hope that you get it worked out to your satisfaction.

Your next step is to file a complaint with UPS. See what they will do as you were the recipient and didn't get anything!
That's why i won't buy from anyone who won't use Paypal or credit card. At least you have a little protection. I still got burned for a set of $250 stacks, never got either, paypal found in my favor but there wasn't any funds in the sellers account.

Your next step is to file a complaint with UPS. See what they will do as you were the recipient and didn't get anything!
That's why i won't buy from anyone who won't use Paypal or credit card. At least you have a little protection. I still got burned for a set of $250 stacks, never got either, paypal found in my favor but there wasn't any funds in the sellers account.

The problem is I did receive the turbo, but it was trashed, Mr. Nicholas then in essence got paid twice for the turbo, and refuses to pay for the damages.

At one point I would have let it go at the $500 repair bill and although I would have been pissed about the compressor housing, but at least I would have got part of the repairs covered!
However Mr. Nicholas was determined from the very start to rip someone off. Regretfully it was me. The UPS issue just added another confusing step to the process, which turned out to benefit Mr. Nicholas for now.

Used Turbos suck.

Man, bad deal!

I'm coming to the conclusion that you can't buy a used turbo that's worth anything from anyone really. There is generally a reason why they're selling it.

I think experiences like this and experiences like mine (see post about twin turbo parts for sale) should dictate the true price of any used turbo, they're not worth much.

Sometimes a road trip and a baseball bat can help fix these problems, you do have a return address right? I'd use it!

Is he from New York? If its the guy im thinking of I think i have done business with him before. I bought a SledPuller68 and a set of DDP4s. I was very happy with both and he was good to deal with. Sucks to hear about your bad experience though. Hope you get it worked out.

Man, bad deal!

I'm coming to the conclusion that you can't buy a used turbo that's worth anything from anyone really. There is generally a reason why they're selling it.

I think experiences like this and experiences like mine (see post about twin turbo parts for sale) should dictate the true price of any used turbo, they're not worth much.

Sometimes a road trip and a baseball bat can help fix these problems, you do have a return address right? I'd use it!

I've bought quite a few used chargers...only ever had a problem with one, and that was probably all my fault:evil

Seriously though, I'll bet I've had close to 25 different chargers on my trucks, over half of them used, and not one issue except the one I caused!

Chris

Hey, out of the 25 chargers, you got parts for an S300?

My luck ain't so grand.

Is he from New York? If its the guy im thinking of I think i have done business with him before. I bought a SledPuller68 and a set of DDP4s. I was very happy with both and he was good to deal with. Sucks to hear about your bad experience though. Hope you get it worked out.

Yea it is the same guy. He bought that sledpuller 68 from me.

heres the deal,i never told this guy that i was not going to pay him.i never thought this charger was a piece of ****.i bought it as new and i did not want to run it so i sold it.when this all went down,and ups wrecked it,i went up one side them and down the other.while all this was happening,this guy wanted me to refund his money.when i explained to him that i was not responsible for ups and damage(i would not expect this out of anyone),i felt as if i were being threatened by mike because he was already talking about trashing me.i let him know i was upset about his bull****.so some time passes and i am contacted by ups saying they are not going to cover it.so i tell him that this is what is going on and he fully expects me to pay him his money back.i let it go and in the mean time open a review of the claim.i wait for ups a while more and finally get something in the mail what i thought was a check.in the mean time i contacted mike and offered to buy the damaged turbo back for what the repairs were going to be so he would be out half,and i would be out half.i thought this to be fair.at the time i thought i had the check from ups,i asked him to get a price to get it fixed,he did and i told him to get it fixed(all based on me getting paid for the claim).when i told him this he told me he had made other arraingements.by this time i truely have not gotten a check.i am pissed now that i have gone through 2.5 months and all this bull**** and it now seems to me that he is backing out and is expecting me to foot the bill.i sit on it a while and finally get a check in the mail from ups.this whole time he is assuming the worst,telling me i have the money all ready and i am screwing him.i got the check last thursday.he does not know for how much or anything,so after going back and fourth by email,he threatenes me and gives me "my last chance".i dont take kindly to this,so i am pissed.he has no facts about what i was paid or not paid and he does not know when i was paid and after a couple of times of telling me he is going to "bring it public",**** him.and for the record,i would not sell anything i knew to be a piece of ****.i sold it as it was sold to me.anyone who i have done any transactions with on comp d knows this.i had on misunderstanding once whewe i thought a set of boots was complete and it turned out there was one missing.i offered to fix it and i was told that he was all set.other than that i have done thousands of dollars of buisness on this sight and have never had a problem.and yes after i was threatened by him many times,i told him he was on his own.i dont tollerate people like this any time any where.do i owe him the money for the repair,yes.anything else absolutely not.had he not acted like an asshole from the day after he recieved the damaged item,he would have paid already.so now that it is out in the open,i hope you guys see both sides.i dont think i blatenly said i was not paying .he needs to stop being a douche bag and he will have the money that i have sent on saturday.

Where are the uppercase letters at the beginning of the sentences?

Just curious, ha!

I still smell bull, you know what, in this because I have gotten good at smelling it when coming out of others.

heres the deal,i never told this guy that i was not going to pay him.i never thought this charger was a piece of ****.i bought it as new and i did not want to run it so i sold it.when this all went down,and ups wrecked it,i went up one side them and down the other.while all this was happening,this guy wanted me to refund his money.when i explained to him that i was not responsible for ups and damage(i would not expect this out of anyone),i felt as if i were being threatened by mike because he was already talking about trashing me.i let him know i was upset about his bull****.so some time passes and i am contacted by ups saying they are not going to cover it.so i tell him that this is what is going on and he fully expects me to pay him his money back.i let it go and in the mean time open a review of the claim.i wait for ups a while more and finally get something in the mail what i thought was a check.in the mean time i contacted mike and offered to buy the damaged turbo back for what the repairs were going to be so he would be out half,and i would be out half.i thought this to be fair.at the time i thought i had the check from ups,i asked him to get a price to get it fixed,he did and i told him to get it fixed(all based on me getting paid for the claim).when i told him this he told me he had made other arraingements.by this time i truely have not gotten a check.i am pissed now that i have gone through 2.5 months and all this bull**** and it now seems to me that he is backing out and is expecting me to foot the bill.i sit on it a while and finally get a check in the mail from ups.this whole time he is assuming the worst,telling me i have the money all ready and i am screwing him.i got the check last thursday.he does not know for how much or anything,so after going back and fourth by email,he threatenes me and gives me "my last chance".i dont take kindly to this,so i am pissed.he has no facts about what i was paid or not paid and he does not know when i was paid and after a couple of times of telling me he is going to "bring it public",**** him.and for the record,i would not sell anything i knew to be a piece of ****.i sold it as it was sold to me.anyone who i have done any transactions with on comp d knows this.i had on misunderstanding once whewe i thought a set of boots was complete and it turned out there was one missing.i offered to fix it and i was told that he was all set.other than that i have done thousands of dollars of buisness on this sight and have never had a problem.and yes after i was threatened by him many times,i told him he was on his own.i dont tollerate people like this any time any where.do i owe him the money for the repair,yes.anything else absolutely not.had he not acted like an asshole from the day after he recieved the damaged item,he would have paid already.so now that it is out in the open,i hope you guys see both sides.i dont think i blatenly said i was not paying .he needs to stop being a douche bag and he will have the money that i have sent on saturday.

Like I said before YOU told me how much it was insured for in a phone call. Secondly on Feb 7 YOU said you had a check from UPS.

I did not act like an asshole from the day I got the turbo. In fact if you would like we can publicize the e-mail string since the first day. I was extremely patient, and level headed, I only got pissed when you did not do what you said you were going to do, REPEATEDLY!

Then even more pissed when I got a call saying that not only was the exhaust housing cracked, but the compressor housing was trashed as well. There is no way in the world this was a NEW turbo, like you had advertised.

SO, now as of right now I have a repair bill over $750 bucks to pay and that is if there is nothing wrong with the internals. At first glance they said they were OK, but I asked them to please double check the whole thing based upon the condition of the rest of the turbo. I will know for sure the entire bill in the next day or two.

As for sending the money, feel free to do so, You have my address. If you send enough to cover the repairs I will send you the broken parts for a souvenier if you would like.

The emails stay between the two parties.....Post them, this thread disappears..

The emails stay between the two parties.....Post them, this thread disappears..

That's cool, I was not going to post any e-mails without permission from him, for legal reasons.
HOWEVER now that I know CompD's position I wont post any e-mails.
Thanks for the heads up! It is greatly appreciated.

...how much it was insured for...

I'm not trying to take sides, I don't have a dog in this hunt, but UPS doesn't necessarily pay what it's insured for. I've had 2 problems with UPS that I've had to file a claim for in my 30+ years of dealing with them in my business. Both times I had sold some parts that had to be shipped out. The packages were insured for what the customer paid (retail) for the parts but UPS wouldn't pay retail, they would only pay my cost. Basically from their point of view, they're paying for replacing the parts for me to ship to my customer. I made money on the sale, I'm not supposed to make money on the claim. Makes sense.

Now for the real kicker, and yes, I have my firesuit on........the receiver, the person who paid for the parts, is not responsible at all for shipping damage. That's why he cannot make a claim, or even initiate a tracer for a lost shipment, the shipper has to. UPS will only pay the shipper on a claim, not the receiver. In this situation, the shipper should either replace what was damaged or refund the money for the sale and file a claim with UPS to get their money back. UPS says they won't pay, appeal, climb the chain of command. Both times I made a claim it was initially denied but after I went to the next level and produced a damaged box it was paid.

Like I said, I don't have a dog in this hunt, I don't know either one of these fellas, and I'm not trying to take sides, just giving my $.02 worth from my experiences as a shipper.

Scott

i am not saying that they didnt pay,i am saying that this whole problem stemmed from mike jumping the gun on me,calling me out from the get go and being an asshole about the whole thing.the problem was not my fault at all and his inpatience is what brought it to this point.

Hmm Dec 18th - Feb 25th, hardly an example of impatience... ~70 days or so...

-Someone has to point out the obvious.

Back