Roller Rockers?

It pains me to say this but, I believe Houge had a pic of a very nice comp setup for a 24V, same as what PDP has. It caught me with the bridges being rigid as to force both valves to be equally depressed.

That set up adds unessisary weight and friction compared to a stock design, more pieces = more points of failure!

Also another bad point is that with heat and the flexing of the valve stem that design WILL bind, take a close look. But i dont want to pick it apart, it just dosent seem to me that it was well thought out!

I've been told that KISS method is best...........KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID !!!

Its true, Houge has a very nice set up. I wanted to run them, but didn't have the extra $. But from those pictures they're far different than what PDP has.

Same company makes them is what I was saying.

That set up adds unessisary weight and friction compared to a stock design, more pieces = more points of failure!

Also another bad point is that with heat and the flexing of the valve stem that design WILL bind, take a close look. But i dont want to pick it apart, it just dosent seem to me that it was well thought out!

I've been told that KISS method is best...........KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID !!!

I seemed like a nice approach. Although I have not heard of anything bad about OEM bridge system.

Same company makes them is what I was saying.

I seemed like a nice approach. Although I have not heard of anything bad about OEM bridge system.

The bridges i have are weighted on the ends instead of the middle,(like stock) that promotes less weight "rocking", and the valve stems fit in the bridges "snug" not tight but snug and this stops most of the bridge rocking, and stem horizontal motion. They also have oiling holes in the stem ends for enhanced protection and friction/wear losses

Also the top are flat not round, the roller tip is also flat, the fit together allows for equal motion down and back up. The "A" frame design makes for un beatable strength, lightened 4340 Cromoly makes for very light weight.

The bridges pictured are for the 5.9 only the vp and 6.7 can use the stock style bridges, unless the engine is a roller cam and lifter style i have built other bridges for that application.

Not that stock is bad, but it could be better, so i made it better. There's your difference.:Cheer:

Last edited:
The bridges rocker system is horrible,

I’m more than likely the only person around that has been on a spintron with a 4 valve Cummins. The bridges wobble all over the place. The lift can vary up to .015 , from side to side . This even truer with the 4.6 Ford single springs, that the other guy sells for so cheap. I will not sell a single spring for this reason

The dual springs I designed and sell, helps a lot, in that the variance is less than .003. The dual springs are more progressive, and mantain equal pressure thru the lift range.

The misunderstood part of rockers on a diesel is that they are for friction reduction, there is a small percentage gains in power in friction reduction at the rpms we are running.

The only gain is to use high ratio rockers. The 4 valve Cummins needs lift in the .600 + range on fully ported head, and the Dmax is very similar. The 2 valve Cummins head is happy at .850+ lift.
to know this, you must have , and use one of these below

duramax_flowbench20101.gif

To get those lift numbers you will need big ratios. I have 2.25 to 1 rockers for 12 valves in final testing, and going in to production. The 4 valve rockers are 1.95 to 1 .

The other aspect is that the diesel power cycle, wants very short timing events, so to stay within the parameters you must reduce lift / base circle. To do this you either make a bigger cam core, as in my 60 mm Cummins core up from the stock 54.5 mm stock cores, or increase rocker ratio. Or do both.

Here is so preproduction pictures of the rockers for a Cummins CR / 24 valve, the productions parts will have cast bases. These are over $3700, but well worth it if you going to build a ultra competitive program.
Here is also so of the early development of the 12 valve rockers, they have come a long way since this old pictures

61123_1415696308254_1107968363_31013467_346974_n.jpg

rockersproto.jpg

here is a 60mm billet core next to a stock 54.5 core

60MMCAM.jpg

Greg- Looks good! Can you explain the cut away head with the spark plug???? Getting into something new? If so...I am quite intrested!!!

sometimes too big of a rocker will loose power,all depends on the whole engine combo, including the camshaft. most of the time with the diesels less is better,unless higher rpm is needed. almost 40 hp on a .050 better ratio speakes volumes.:rockwoot:

So are these all systems that must go together, or are there components that can be bought separate?

What all is needed to switch to roller rockers on a 24v VP engine? I noticed i have some nasty scuffing on my rocker arms etc, and rather than put new stockers in, i'll upgrade while I'm at it.

Wade send me a PM with some info on your 24v VP rockers and bridges.

Nice looking parts all around. Too bad the 6.7 pistons are so thin between the the crown and the top ring. .100 less meat in that area than a 5.9 makes me nervous thinking about putting reliefs in.

So are these all systems that must go together, or are there components that can be bought separate?

What all is needed to switch to roller rockers on a 24v VP engine? I noticed i have some nasty scuffing on my rocker arms etc, and rather than put new stockers in, i'll upgrade while I'm at it.

Wade send me a PM with some info on your 24v VP rockers and bridges.

All the 24 valve needs is rockers. you can use the stock bridges if you wanted to.

thicker gasket?

Just thinking out loud Wade. It's interesting stuff to be sure, but my 5.9 is making plenty of power. The 6.7 should have a bit stronger bottom end and midrange so I'll just be happy with that. It's already a one run special at the track and I don't like lying to the tech guy. I'll leave warp speed to you racer guys.

Back