Roller Rockers?

Ron, your math is based upon the peak numbers only, you are not accounting for the fact that a higher ratio rocker would get your valve lift to the 0.300" lift mark sooner than the stock rocker (given the same cam). So even though the peak flow doesn't appear to increase much with the increased lift (based upon your flow sheet data), there would be the added benefit of more area under the curve. How much? I don't know...

That makes sense. It would be an interesting test on a dyno to see the actual difference. At one point I tried a .020 over gasket on my truck. I lost bottom end power from the compression change just like cutting the pistons. The rocker change might be a way to compensate for the power loss caused by cutting the pistons with the advantage being you'd make the same power with a lower compression ratio.

That makes sense. It would be an interesting test on a dyno to see the actual difference. At one point I tried a .020 over gasket on my truck. I lost bottom end power from the compression change just like cutting the pistons. The rocker change might be a way to compensate for the power loss caused by cutting the pistons with the advantage being you'd make the same power with a lower compression ratio.

The rocker would really only have the advantage if your at the limit of your cam ramp rates and/or lift rates. One other advantage would be if your running crazy spring pressures, but that would put a little more force on the tappet.

Last edited:
Ron, With a higher ratio, you will gain in Ramp acceleration opening slightly, and the duration it stays open mostly, also the overal peak lift will be extended as well. So it changes the whole opening and closeing ramp's from the begining to the end. and everything in between, to be exact.

the changes in the very begining and the end of the stroke are so slight that a stock truck can normally run one -two ratio's over stock with out any iterfearence issu's.

When you talk area under the curve, that's been gained, it shows much more flow ability, than just calculating lift, Duration is the biggest power consern for any engine, especially a boosted engine, thats where the power is, lift helps some, but not like one would think. But with higher ratio rockers you will get both.

The Flow#'s you posted dont really make much sence, and sound really low. like maybe it was a basic port job, and in that case you got what you asked for. The valve Will only flow what the port will allow it to, thats what the valve is for to essencially meter the air flow correctly, The valve should be the restriction, not the head. These heads can flow as high as the low 300's
CFM if done properly. Stock they flow between 100-150CFM.

If that is infact the case, Adding a higher ratio will only help some, because of port air stall, or port restriction. Duration will help, but not like your expecting.

Intake flows 193 at .2, 256 at .3, 260 at .4. Exhaust flows 205 at .2, 251 at .3, and 280 at .4. I don't know the details of the test procedure.(ZZ Fab).

Intake flows 193 at .2, 256 at .3, 260 at .4. Exhaust flows 205 at .2, 251 at .3, and 280 at .4. I don't know the details of the test procedure.(ZZ Fab).

Those #'s makes since. yes these rockers and a matched cam could improve that a good bit!

Those #'s makes since. yes these rockers and a matched cam could improve that a good bit!

Oh well. I guess I can quit thinking about these. My cam is already on it's way and I wouldn't have a clue how to order one to match a set of rockers.

Back