?'s on running s400 single

I am wondering if a lot are running them. I have out grown what I have. I want to stick with a single. Looking into 475, t4. I am wondering what exhaust housing to run for decent street ability, and power sacrifice. I know I might have to wastegate it also. Just wanted input. I do a lot of reading on here just not as much posting. Thanks in advance

I'm running a 1.0 housing with a looser converter and it spools nice. I had a converter that was a little tighter than stock when I first put the S475 on and it was really slow to spool and hard to control smoke but is much easier with the looser converter. A buddy ran a p pumped 24v with a 75 and an 80 with .9, 1.0, and 1.25 housings with a loose converter and spooled pretty fast. I think a cam is going to be a big help if you want to run a big single.

I also had my exhaust outlet machined to an HX40 flange to make the install easier going from an II silver 64 to the 75

I would suggest a FMW S467.7. It's really hard to beat them unless you're really shooting for a huge amount of power.

I would suggest a FMW S467.7. It's really hard to beat them unless you're really shooting for a huge amount of power.

Another friend of mine just did around 650hp with one. (On a common rail though).
I would think it all depends on what you really are trying to do with the truck. If you plan on towing anything like another truck on a trailer than the 67.7 would probably be a better choice. I've towed 8k lbs with my 75 just through town and you have to constantly watch the egts. 5x.018s and a maxed pump don't help with that either though.

Another friend of mine just did around 650hp with one. (On a common rail though).
I would think it all depends on what you really are trying to do with the truck. If you plan on towing anything like another truck on a trailer than the 67.7 would probably be a better choice. I've towed 8k lbs with my 75 just through town and you have to constantly watch the egts. 5x.018s and a maxed pump don't help with that either though.

The thing is they're capable of 800's and like you said if you want to tow it's hard to find a more versatile charger.

I've ran a few s400s as singles. Cast 68/83/.9, 72/83/.9, 75/83/.9, and a 75/87/1.0. All with pretty much the same fueling and convertor.

For me the 68 was the best. The 72 and 75/83 both made a lot more drive pressure then boost and just didn't run quite as well. The 75/87 May of made more power but on the street it wasn't near as much fun. The 68 made around 725 on my truck and ran a best of 119mph. Great charger IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have similar feelings as hobie. I really liked the fmw s467.7. we would be better help if you had a hp goal you were after.

67.7 is literally the greatest thing ever to come out of a turbo factory. It made 623 on it's first dyno run, unloaded and no fuel pressure. Pretty sure it was around 700 when everything was fixed and running right. Grossed 25k with it a few times also. Did ok, just wish I had a higher stall converter lol

I really want to build a common rail, and do nothing but valvesprings, fuel, and a 67.7.

Last edited:
I am not worried about towing. As I have another truck for towing. My truck is a zf6 standard its in a superduty. I built the motor and have a 70mm turbo ethics that does not work good at all chokes up. I def wanna go with a 400 y I asked about the 475 is I have one laying around to try. The motor is bored .20 over coated mahles, everything balanced maxed 215 pump, 110 lb valve springs all studed top to bottom and cried ringed. I know my one problem is full cuts, I am also running for now schied 150 horse injs, also running there pro street pulling cam. I am just wanting to get something make good power be fun on the street. Without crazy egts driving.

Just don't run an s464. This things sucks donkey ballz. Slow spool and no airz!

I wouldn't say slow spool, I ran one for a year and towed firewood occasionally. But I agree with it not flowing that much.

I have ran a 467.7, 475, 480 and a 476 on mine in the last year.... My 67/83 .90 spooled the best and ran the best all around for street. 475/87 .90 was not far behind, but I did loosen the convertor a bit after install, not to mention it had an old Schwitzer 87/78 turbine that spooled but was lacking on the big end. The 480 sucked with the same turbine. my 476/(87/82) .90 is slower but makes alot more power. I would say go with a 67 or a 75 with a 87/81 an older turbine .90 housing would be your funnest setup.

Thanks for the input. I have a older 475 box turbo that I am thinking about tring and going from there. I take it the 67 had a very steady and long power and and the 475 flattens out mid range.

Well the 475 I have is a 96. Exhaust. So that would not work unless I could get a tighter housing for it. I was just hoping to use it till I can save some coin and get something else. i want do find out a lot and do home work so I can get the right match for my setup. Tired of the mismatched stuff.

mine was a 67/83/.91. Pulled all the way to at least 4k, never tried to go further on purpose.

This was that unloaded dyno. 60mph was 2k rpm, and 120mph is 4k rpm. I never noticed but I guess I let off around 110mph because it climbed so fast. It took forever to spool but when it did it accelerated way faster than on the street LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LI_bkddjtl4&list=PL5gdG4DYLrHTeDtKaVD6SURupevYR0Tvw

uploadfromtaptalk1367725591418.jpg

Back