s480 vs gt4508r

So it spools pretty decent on the street then? I assume it has nice drivability for a big single. I only say that because we're talking about a street truck with a big single.

With the converter that is in it, yes it spools very well on the street. Drivability is subjective at best, my best definition of a 1200hp+ truck with a big single on the street is "Violent". The charger comes on like a light switch and unless you are driving around with the drag radials on in 4wd, almost any throttle input causes it to blow the tires off.

The CDS Prostock turbocharger is built on an HX82 frame, but if you think it uses a Holset turbine wheel, you would be mistaken.

The turbine I saw was only 6 blades if I remember right.

Smokem, whats ur take on the SD 5-blade 480/87? Any experience?

5-blade compressor wheels are not a new thing, however they are generally used in applications much smaller than an 80mm inducer. To be honest I don't see the area of compression being large enough in a standard 5+5 format, this would be much more forgiving in an straight 10-blade design similar to the GTX compressor wheel. Lowering the overall blade count will increase flow, however the map will often become narrower and lower blade count wheels tend to come on boost pressure very abruptly, leading to surge issues.

5 inch turbine, Holset shaft, enlargened Garrett wheel.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 0
100% spot on. Those are unobtanium from a practical viewpoint.

Curious at what point these get close to the HT100 parts? I would be interested to see what this 900 series turbo that holset has been working on, and how much larger it is than the 800 series(hx82,83,85, and HE851)

After some looking at different cat engines I came across a GT6772, I am assuming that this is getting up towards the limit of the frame size.

I can't believe people use the ht100 in after market applications. That thing is massive. Always nice seeing them compounded with 82's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They seem to like them on the light super stock tractors, hard to believe that they are making them work on 505cid.

What kind of work is being done to them? It's nice hearing them come up on a 50 at full load

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After some looking at different cat engines I came across a GT6772, I am assuming that this is getting up towards the limit of the frame size.

The GT62 is the largest in standard rotation, the GT65/67/70 are reverse rotation.

Curious at what point these get close to the HT100 parts?

The GT67 is close, the GT70 is actually a bit larger, and an ABB RR 151 is close to the GT65.

Back