School me on TDI's......

Hopefully its not a mistake to buy this one, its an 06 with 124,000 on it. Timing belt done at 95,000 and they have paperwork, standard trans, always serviced with synthetic oil since new. They're asking 11k but I'm going to try and talk them down

Synthetic doesn't save them. The cams weren't heat treated properly.

When you get it home, pull the valve cover and look at the cam. It will have sharp corners on the edges of the lobes if it's on its way out

Monkey Fist Rage

Yeah I knew it was a bad bunch of cams, so what's the difference between the BRM and bew? And how do I tell the difference?

Yeah I knew it was a bad bunch of cams, so what's the difference between the BRM and bew? And how do I tell the difference?

BEW didn't make it into the A5 body for the most part. I'm sure there are like 5 somewhere to prove me wrong. I'm sorry but I can't tell you how to spot one otherwise.

Monkey Fist Rage

I decided not to pull the trigger on this 06 just yet, do the 2010's have the cam wear issues?

Last edited:
Just bad diesel causing the issues? Lack of lubricity? I found a 2010 that has all the options I want and the price is right, I'm just a little shy about pulling the trigger on it because of the HPFP issues, I'd rather deal with a bad cam than a bad IP

Just bad diesel causing the issues? Lack of lubricity? I found a 2010 that has all the options I want and the price is right, I'm just a little shy about pulling the trigger on it because of the HPFP issues, I'd rather deal with a bad cam than a bad IP

In my educated opinion it was a design flaw but VW was throwing it to people. I got pissed and stopped contributing because of the matter.

Cam kit is $730. I'm about to buy mine.

Monkey Fist Rage

jyda5e6y.jpg

I wouldn't buy an older 04-05 Passat TDI with the BHW engine. My dad got one with 60K miles. It went through two engines and a tranny in 50K miles. All dealership maintenance too and with the warranty they didn't even want to replace the stuff without weeks of trying to blame it on my dad.

I found a 2006 jetta with the TDI 2 package, 5 speed standard, a huge binder full of maintenance records since new, and purchased from the second owner who owns and operates a VW repair shop, he personally did all the maintenance on the car since new and bought it from the original owner to use as his daily driver but decided he'd rather drive his Monte Carlo haha.

Ill chime in.....but seems you are getting some good advice....

After pretty much going though my whole car (02 Jetta TDi) Im a huge fan of the ALH engine and manual trans setup in the MK4 body's. EASY as all get out to work on and tough as nails. Also, comparing apples to apples, reacts well to performance upgrades.....its not a PSD, D-Max or Cummins mind you!

I just got done putting ARP studs in mine and a head gasket. Done 2 timing belts as well. Stupid simple suspensions. Also love the fact you can do some minor tweaking and diagnosis with you laptop via Vag-Com. Pm me with any other specific Q's if you want.

Ill chime in.....but seems you are getting some good advice....

After pretty much going though my whole car (02 Jetta TDi) Im a huge fan of the ALH engine and manual trans setup in the MK4 body's. EASY as all get out to work on and tough as nails. Also, comparing apples to apples, reacts well to performance upgrades.....its not a PSD, D-Max or Cummins mind you!

I just got done putting ARP studs in mine and a head gasket. Done 2 timing belts as well. Stupid simple suspensions. Also love the fact you can do some minor tweaking and diagnosis with you laptop via Vag-Com. Pm me with any other specific Q's if you want.

What is involved in getting vag-com? I want it to diagnose an issue with mine but I'm never clear on what to get

Monkey Fist Rage

What is involved in getting vag-com? I want it to diagnose an issue with mine but I'm never clear on what to get

Monkey Fist Rage

Well you can go on eBay and get a generic Vag-Com Cable but from what i hear its hit or miss if it will work or not.

If you want to do it a way that it will work 100% you can buy the cable from Ross-Tech directly:
http://store.ross-tech.com/shop/cat/VCDS.html

As far as the software goes....you can download for free here:
http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/download/

Took my 14' Passat on a trip from MD to NC and back, averaged 46.5, dash read 50.1-50.3. Car currently has 2,500 miles on it. Hoping to reach 50mpg hand calculated on summer blend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Took my 14' Passat on a trip from MD to NC and back, averaged 46.5, dash read 50.1-50.3. Car currently has 2,500 miles on it. Hoping to reach 50mpg hand calculated on summer blend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How much Did you pay for it? Been looking at the 2013-14s

phone

Back