Single CP3 Shootout, whos gona make it?

Here is my issue with a shootout, you lose today but have a surpassing product tomorrow. Then what happens, a redo?

I think I have about 7 or 8 CP3 configurations now, do we test all them or just choose one?

In my opinion the consumer needs options, not everyone needs a huge CP3, same as not everyone needs a Stage 1. If all we had to do was proclaim who is the biggest, I can make one that is over 800lph, no typo 800+. Point is I know it won't flow anywhere near that, at least right now it won't. It probably wouldn't live very long as well, but yeah it's big. Kind of like trying to feed an IHRA mountain motor Pro Stock engine with a 1 bbl carburetor.

As for our big pump at Left Coast Diesel, I appreciate all Eric has done for me with his time and testing. I trust him, and am sending him essentially a huge carburetor to go on the CP3 he has been testing. If that isn't enough he will have the parts to up it another 70lph, we'll see where this goes. So far it beats the Dragonslayer's best which included a pressure box in the mix, but without using a pressure box. I think he said 90hp on the bottom and 60hp more up top. That is a pretty decent gain, but we have a few more things to try.

Here is my issue with a shootout, you lose today but have a surpassing product tomorrow. Then what happens, a redo?

I think I have about 7 or 8 CP3 configurations now, do we test all them or just choose one?

In my opinion the consumer needs options, not everyone needs a huge CP3, same as not everyone needs a Stage 1. If all we had to do was proclaim who is the biggest, I can make one that is over 800lph, no typo 800+. Point is I know it won't flow anywhere near that, at least right now it won't. It probably wouldn't live very long as well, but yeah it's big. Kind of like trying to feed an IHRA mountain motor Pro Stock engine with a 1 bbl carburetor.

As for our big pump at Left Coast Diesel, I appreciate all Eric has done for me with his time and testing. I trust him, and am sending him essentially a huge carburetor to go on the CP3 he has been testing. If that isn't enough he will have the parts to up it another 70lph, we'll see where this goes. So far it beats the Dragonslayer's best which included a pressure box in the mix, but without using a pressure box. I think he said 90hp on the bottom and 60hp more up top. That is a pretty decent gain, but we have a few more things to try.

I would have to completely agree with you Shane.

John

I may be over simplifying, well, I know I am. Use your "non winning pump" as the baseline upon which to compare your improved pump. Even use that baseline to compare to your competitors.

If you weren't to compete at all, I would like to see you all state what parameters need to be monitored on a stand to even do this. I don't think installation on a truck is worth while because it adds yet another variable.

I know my view of this is flawed, but I would be tempted to hook these pumps to an electric motor and attach a valve and a flow meter and choke them down til they stall.. Simple, repeatable, with the two measurements anyone seems to care about, Flow@PSI. Dare I say HP?

What I wanna see is how quickly a pump can recover from cruising at 17k psi to sudden wot test to build from a drop to 24k

Gentlemen, what happened to the "Can Do". I'm up for the "Challenge Attitude" that you (John & Shane) portrayed on this thread last yr. Super Stan (I mean Brady) are you ready for a "Neutral" test site! Gentlemen, the majority of member's are asking for a Stg 3 or 3.5 shootout. Not a "My Crank" is bigger "Super Secret" creation!! Building one pump is not giving up "Customer Svc" either. You Cp3 Guru's decide if it will be a Stg 3 or 3.5. Not the Gaping Hole Big Bertha, The Floor It to the Max, or Dragon's on cloud 9 pump. Neutral site "Throwdown" testing done at Exergy Engineering. I will add coin to defray costs. Stop the Horse and get ready for the test!!!

Yes Shane...the graphs are awesome in showing how well the Bertha likes Smarty RP on the bottom and carries it out a little better on top.

IIRC, (it was a long day yesterday) @ 2000rpms the Bertha with Smarty RP on 3 made a hair over 100hp than with Smarty RP on 1 and stacking a Power Puck on 100%. And on top the Puck made 15hp more but was very unstable, so my vote for now is just using the Smarty RP on 3 with no pressure box.

The curve with the Bertha is STUPID smooth, no jagged edges or unwanted dips...just smooth clean power.

Cant wait to get into the box your sending us this week.....:thankyou2:

I know of one shop that has access to a floor it pump, an 85% pump from II, and a dragon slayer. Hmmmm, come to think of it they have a dyno too.

We have a Bertha and maybe her big brother too. But we need to finish the testing for Shane before comparo time. So far Bertha has eliminated the need for a pressure box on my rig. Yeee hah!

EDIT: yeah, so I guess there was a whole other page of stuff I missed when I commented this morning..hehe..

Anyone, one aside on the "Gaping Hole Bertha" comment. Long term reliability is always hard to figure when you are doing stuff like this, but the testing that Shane did before the pump came to me was pretty substantial and definitely qualified as a stress test. I will let him talk about the hours and PSI testing that was done if he wants.
What I know is that Bertha drives like stock, has no pressure spikes, no weirdness and kicks ass when asked to. And she is only going to get better as Shane gets her dialed in. Though maybe not for everyone, so far it would seem that increased displacement pumps can live and behave decently in the real world.

Last edited:
So these 300hp injectors you're getting are from Shane I take it? Haha youre gonna need alot more air, trust me!

So these 300hp injectors you're getting are from Shane I take it? Haha youre gonna need alot more air, trust me!

Nope, Lenny sent me down some 300's. I expected them to need more air, but working with Marco we were going to try to shut down the duration enough to make them driveable. I think they are a little outside of the range that we can successfully shut down, but I am optimistic about Shane's 200's.

My goal is to have just a little more injector than I have the air for, then tune the injectors down to a good street level and still have level 9 for max, matched fueling.
We''ll see what happens. I have a 66 out for some work, so we can have more air when the time comes.

I say the test needs to be the same truck, same Smarty settings, same injectors, same dyno, same day. I can swap pumps in a short amount of time without removing any other parts so I know someone that has changed a few more pumps than I have should be faster. I don't see a reason that this could not be done on a sat. or sunday and even have the time to do 4, 5, or even 6 different cp3's. We have the 3 big name pumps already at a shop with a dyno. I say lets get it done with the pumps we already have that way no one can say xxx sent a special pump that no one can buy yet. Send down a Reiff Stage 4 and we will include it. When you go buy the best computer you know it will not be the best tomorrow but you still want to buy the best today. I have no problems with Shane or his CP3. His Dragonslayer is top notch and his customer service is first class and I will be buying more products from him. I went above what the dragonslayer would flow so I tried another CP3 from John@FloorIt. His CP3 is top notch also and his customer service has IMPROVED and now seems to be top notch also.

Joe

Last edited:
I agree about the same truck/injectors, etc. We always try different pressure settings with the Smarty, etc just to see what happens, but the hot tune tends to always be the hot tune. I also think that the testing should be done without a pressure box to eliminate that variable.
If we need a pressure box, then we can add one (just tested the MP8, EZ and Extreme Puck against each other yesterday) but we need to add it and test at say 75 and 100% to see what happens. We will also datalog RP (a reason why I say no pressure box) and look at FP drop.

I agree about the same truck/injectors, etc. We always try different pressure settings with the Smarty, etc just to see what happens, but the hot tune tends to always be the hot tune. I also think that the testing should be done without a pressure box to eliminate that variable.
If we need a pressure box, then we can add one (just tested the MP8, EZ and Extreme Puck against each other yesterday) but we need to add it and test at say 75 and 100% to see what happens. We will also datalog RP (a reason why I say no pressure box) and look at FP drop.

When are you going to test the DR. P pressure box? I would like to see how it compares.

Joe

Yes, who's pump recovers the best! That is what I wanna see. Can you also do a #7 and #9 if time permits. #5 is always easily noticeable with the butt dyno but it's very very difficult to tell the difference between 7 and 9 on the mid and high ranges.

you got one i can plug in. haven't changed the truck yet. we could do it tonight

Yes, who's pump recovers the best! That is what I wanna see. Can you also do a #7 and #9 if time permits. #5 is always easily noticeable with the butt dyno but it's very very difficult to tell the difference between 7 and 9 on the mid and high ranges.
Without fail my truck loses power on 9. Doesn't seem to matter what injectors, or other programming I mess with, 7 still works. We did the custom tuning with Marco with 7 as the base, and that still gets it done.

Without fail my truck loses power on 9. Doesn't seem to matter what injectors, or other programming I mess with, 7 still works. We did the custom tuning with Marco with 7 as the base, and that still gets it done.

very funny- my truck always makes more on 9 then 7...... 7 is usually a 60+ hp drop

very funny- my truck always makes more on 9 then 7...... 7 is usually a 60+ hp drop

Hmm maybe 03-04 vs 04.5? Every truck is different, but we do usually see more with 7 on *most* trucks. That's why dyno time is important though, gotta figure out what the truck likes.

Nope, Lenny sent me down some 300's. I expected them to need more air, but working with Marco we were going to try to shut down the duration enough to make them driveable. I think they are a little outside of the range that we can successfully shut down, but I am optimistic about Shane's 200's.

My goal is to have just a little more injector than I have the air for, then tune the injectors down to a good street level and still have level 9 for max, matched fueling.
We''ll see what happens. I have a 66 out for some work, so we can have more air when the time comes.

Did you have big sticks and bertha when Marco was at the shop tuning?

Hmm maybe 03-04 vs 04.5? Every truck is different, but we do usually see more with 7 on *most* trucks. That's why dyno time is important though, gotta figure out what the truck likes.

Agree 100%- what a couple of hours if dyno time will let you learn is very interesting.

Back