small vgt

jeff115

were would a guy look for a vgt that would be suited for a 2.2l :charger:

Sprinter vans used one that would ba bit big for stock, but with a touch of extra fuel should work since they are one of the larger upgrades to the 1.9 VW's.

x2

that is a common swap onto the 5cyl benz motors. you will just need to set up a controller for the VGT

according to my garrett book it's

56mm 55trim .53 ar housing intake
47mm 72 trim .46 ar exhaust housing

some people are also using Liberty turbos too, they are a tab bit smaller.

i was thinkin a little smaller like a vnt15 like what the stock vdubs use but the exhaust is part of the manifold so it would have to be cut off. is there anything that uses a similar turbo with a foot on it?

i've heard some people saw the 15s are a little too small, but i guess it all depends on what your using it for. most people i've seen just make adapter plates for the manifolds.

i gues i could do that i want it kind of small so i can use it as an exhaust break but not too small so it chokes it

The liberty crd turbo is a perfect upgrade turbo for that engine size if you're going to be turning it up a bit. I've built a couple tdi's with that turbo and they flat out rip.

well ill start lookin for a crd charger then.

have you done any work on a sd22?

The SD22's are good little engines, but beware turning the boost up to much, they do not have piston oil squirters to keep cylinder temps down.

hmm.. water? i wont go to much if i can get it to do the speed limit ill be good

GT15 is too small even for a 1.6l diesel.

The smallest a 2.2L should use is a GT20.

hmm.. water? i wont go to much if i can get it to do the speed limit ill be good

Speed limit was never a problem in the Datsun's I rode in with that particular engine. From what I remember, you want no more than about 7PSI into the cylinders. That engine was not built for a turbo and runs at 22:1 compression or so, pistons apparently do not like much more cylinder pressure.

dont the vw's use them? 1.9l and it works good

It barely supports their stock power. It is used because its small size spools up instantly and prevents the "lag" people hate about diesels.

runs at 22:1 compression or so, pistons apparently do not like much more cylinder pressure.
Mercedes runs 22.5:1. Finns run upwards of 30psi without a problem and I run 18psi on mine. So the compression ratio is unimportant in a diesel, its how strong the components are built.

Speed limit was never a problem in the Datsun's I rode in with that particular engine. From what I remember, you want no more than about 7PSI into the cylinders. That engine was not built for a turbo and runs at 22:1 compression or so, pistons apparently do not like much more cylinder pressure.

it will do 65 but i cant go freeway speed 65 is almost floored

It barely supports their stock power. It is used because its small size spools up instantly and prevents the "lag" people hate about diesels.

which is about 90hp and that would be plenty for me

Mercedes runs 22.5:1. Finns run upwards of 30psi without a problem and I run 18psi on mine. So the compression ratio is unimportant in a diesel, its how strong the components are built.

Very true, and it's the reason in this case, I looked into hopping one of these engines up a bit a few years ago, the common consensus was that 7(ish)PSI was about all the stock internals could handle, main limit being the cast pistons.

it will do 65 but i cant go freeway speed 65 is almost floored

The ones I rode in had the SD23, and trust me, 75 wasn't a problem LOL

well with boost requirements so low how bout a blower i can get my hands on a cheep small roots blower

Back