sound deadening

jallan

Smoke show
IMG_20130124_123428_788-1_zps50500358.jpg
[/IMG]

I was board today so I thought I would start this. I put 2 layers on the roof and 1 on the back wall and floor under the back seet. That is all I got done today and put everything back togeather.

Before the install I downloaded an app for my droid db meeter and measured the db's while crusing at 62mph and it was bouncing between 78.5db and
81db. After the install of the roof and back wall it was 69db to 71db. A very noticeable difference. Alot better to drive now, those stacks I have are loud but now getting better.

Tomorrow I may do the inside of the doors because now I hear new noises like tire ( road noise). Then do another db test. I used B-quite by the way.

Justin

B-quiet is an asphalt based deadener. In a year or so it will become brittle and lose any effect it has right now.

That meter on your phone app is about as accurate as me being able to direct my fart to only one persons nose in a room full of people.

Deadener alone will never cause a 10 db drop. That is over 6 times quieter to the ear. Every true 3db drop will make you think the sound cut in half.

If you want a quality deadener for the price, look into Audio Technix.

Nice job on the install though.

Nice. I'd like to do the same to my truck in the near future.

Is the b-quiet stuff you used rated for over head use? I only ask because the other guy says is asphalt and it looks like asphalt and I know dynamats does not rate their asphalt product for over head use as is becomes brittle and can fall off as already stated.

Did anyone do the entire interior of a QC? How many sq ft. does it take?

B-quiet is an asphalt based deadener. In a year or so it will become brittle and lose any effect it has right now.

That meter on your phone app is about as accurate as me being able to direct my fart to only one persons nose in a room full of people.

Deadener alone will never cause a 10 db drop. That is over 6 times quieter to the ear. Every true 3db drop will make you think the sound cut in half.

If you want a quality deadener for the price, look into Audio Technix.

Nice job on the install though.

Not that it matters but the app I have on my phone you can calibrate it next to a real meeter.

It is hard to describe on how loud my truck was.

I can use the radio for an example cruising at the same speed before the install my radio had to be at a volume of 33 before you could hear it and conversation was almost impossible with some one sitting in the passenger seat.

Now while cruising at that same speed the radio volume is at 6 when you can start to hear it. I suspect that the cab noise is back to about stock now.

so that being said the db drop has to be pretty close to what the phone says but I could still be wrong.

IMG_20130125_101231_075-1_zps3ac1fcbb.jpg
[/IMG]

I did the front doors today, inside as much as I could reach was about 90% then covered the outside there were the speaker mounts. Another noticeable sound drop in road noise.

Not sure how Accurate it is but the cell app said a .75 db drop

Did anyone do the entire interior of a QC? How many sq ft. does it take?

My megacab took approximately 120 or so sq feet. But I have done the roof, the back wall, the floor, the outer doorskin, and inner doorskin.

I also did closed cell foam on the back wall and floor. Need to get the doors done.

Mass loaded vinyl is also on the floor and back wall. Need to do doors yet.

looks good... i did my firewall with DEI shield and got rid of that nasty thick loose cardboard crap that comes from the factory. cost me about 50 bucks, now that the motor is back in it really cleaned up the look under there,

774390_566834386679256_158623587_o.jpg

Looks good! Thanks for that sq footage chemmins, been trying to get an idea of how much I need to do my crew.

Looks good!!! Been thinking of the same thing for my 06 and my project as well. Was always wondering the sq footage needed for it. CHEMMINS, I checked out that audio technix, is that what you are running? Is there a drastic sound difference like jallan is saying. I have a 5" TBE and its got a good drone to it installing a resonator in the next week but still thinking of the sound deadening as well.

Yup, I run the 80 mil AT. Great stuff, easy to work with. Better than Dynamat or the others for the price. The guy who started the company didn't like the fact people were getting ripped off. So he went on the hunt for a manufacturer who could provide him a product that is superior to most, for a fraction of the price. His stuff is butyl so it won't dry up and crack or fall off. He is always looking for ways to improve it as well. The first run he had was good, but he changed up the recipe on the adhesive for the new stuff and it is working even better.

As far as a "drastic" sound difference.....yes it is very noticeable. Is it 3x quieter....no. The purpose of a deadener is to reduce resonances. Panels vibrate at different frequencies. By adding mass to the panel, you lower the resonant frequency. By creating a constraining layer (sheet metal, butyl, vinyl/foil) you allow those vibrations to be transferred into heat.

For actual sound blocking, you also need to use a decoupler foam and mass loaded vinyl. The decoupler foam usually CCF or closed cell foam is used. It separates (decouples) the deadener and the MLV (mass loaded vinyl). The MLV is the actual sound blocker. If we could use lead, we would. But it is impractical to use in a vehicle setting. So we use MLV. It is available in 1 lb/sq ft and 2 lb/sq ft weights, or 1/8" and 1/4" thicknesses.

When all three products are used in conjunction properly, there is "drastic" results. Each product has a purpose. Just need the right one for the right purpose.

You can also reduce resonances with spray in bedliner under the cab and on the firewall. It will assist in reducing vibrations and blocking sound. Everything you do also helps to retain heat in the winter and cool in the summer.

sixohh,, how much did that help with the drone from the 6.0? I would like to do that with my dually

Yup, I run the 80 mil AT. Great stuff, easy to work with. Better than Dynamat or the others for the price. The guy who started the company didn't like the fact people were getting ripped off. So he went on the hunt for a manufacturer who could provide him a product that is superior to most, for a fraction of the price. His stuff is butyl so it won't dry up and crack or fall off. He is always looking for ways to improve it as well. The first run he had was good, but he changed up the recipe on the adhesive for the new stuff and it is working even better.

As far as a "drastic" sound difference.....yes it is very noticeable. Is it 3x quieter....no. The purpose of a deadener is to reduce resonances. Panels vibrate at different frequencies. By adding mass to the panel, you lower the resonant frequency. By creating a constraining layer (sheet metal, butyl, vinyl/foil) you allow those vibrations to be transferred into heat.

For actual sound blocking, you also need to use a decoupler foam and mass loaded vinyl. The decoupler foam usually CCF or closed cell foam is used. It separates (decouples) the deadener and the MLV (mass loaded vinyl). The MLV is the actual sound blocker. If we could use lead, we would. But it is impractical to use in a vehicle setting. So we use MLV. It is available in 1 lb/sq ft and 2 lb/sq ft weights, or 1/8" and 1/4" thicknesses.

When all three products are used in conjunction properly, there is "drastic" results. Each product has a purpose. Just need the right one for the right purpose.

You can also reduce resonances with spray in bedliner under the cab and on the firewall. It will assist in reducing vibrations and blocking sound. Everything you do also helps to retain heat in the winter and cool in the summer.

Thanks for the info. I would like to do that just thinking of how much and cost and when to do it. Where did you get your material from???

Awesome write up.

Thanks!

Anyone have experience with Lizard Skin or similar products.

Thanks for the info. I would like to do that just thinking of how much and cost and when to do it. Where did you get your material from???

For deadener I use Audio Technix - avail from him on ebay or direct off his website.

For ccf or foam, I use Ensolite from Raamat. I get the peel and stick version. Easy to work with.

For MLV I would use sounddeadenershowdown. Don is a great guy with good products as well. He has butyl rope that I used in areas where braces came together or are against panels..

For deadener I use Audio Technix - avail from him on ebay or direct off his website.

For ccf or foam, I use Ensolite from Raamat. I get the peel and stick version. Easy to work with.

For MLV I would use sounddeadenershowdown. Don is a great guy with good products as well. He has butyl rope that I used in areas where braces came together or are against panels..

Good to know names of the foam and other material. Been wanting to do this, but just had it on the back burner. If you could, PM me on the amount of material you used for everything and an estimate of price for everything as well, if ya could I would appreciate it.....Thanks!

Back