SSR beta testers...lets talk

Post'm if you got them, I'd be interested in seeing the graphs.

Hold the phone, you mean you made less power with the combination blower pushing the turbo?

Last edited:
thats correct... so idk if it is bc the blower needs sped up to push more air through or what i know there is more to be made, thats why i didnt really want to say too much other than my setting levels to help ppl if i could..

What psi boost did you see turbo only? I am shocked and would have said small or stock sticks with settings that high. I used HLdur of 25 once on the street and it felt like my truck was going to fold in half....lol.

Thanks for your feedback folks!

Let me try to give you a few tuning tips with the SSR and in general.

Duration, as a rule of thumb, every time it smokes you're loosing power and / or the ability to spool. Example, in Florida there were a couple trucks that could not light the turbo. They were smoking real bad when trying to spool the turbo. In my opinion they had way too much injector ( flow ) for the turbo they had. I had them set the LL duration to 07 ( which is way less than stock duration ) voilà, the turbo spooled.

Then they did a few tests and HL duration was more or less right at 20-22.
At 15 the truck would fall on it's face during shifts. At 30 the turbo would just die during the shifts.

I'm telling you this to help you understand that any SW can do only so much.
The hard parts ( ie.turbo(s) VS injectors ) need to be matched as close as posisble in order for the system as a whole to perform. The SW can help somehow to patch things together but real performance is a diffent thing. In fact, that truck made it actually into the final 16 but it would not have been able to compete for 1st. Now give this truck a smaller set of tips &WATCH OUT !

As a rule of thumb, if you need real low LL duration in order to keep the smoke down and need a much higher HLD then to make power, you better re-think the setup you're running. Like in the example above LLD = 7 and HLD = 22 makes for a very spiky driving experience.... Then closer the HLD and LLD #'s become then better!

Everything in the low load range can really be done testing on the road. Watch for smoke, listen to the engine that's all that's to it.

Low Load Duration is about smoke on the road ( again you want as little as possible ) and spool up for the track. Too much fuel will not spool the turbo.
Not enough fuel will do the same. Find the happy medium.!

Low Load Timing is about responsiveness ( and eventually noise ). Not enough timing makes for sluggish throttle response. Too much timing hinders the performance. At low load it is very unlikely to do any harm to the engine overadvancing the timing. High load is a different story!

Low Load RP is... well since I FEAR RP for the damage that can be done with it default is set to stock. Remember, if you increase the RP you will increase the fuel flow. That means in turn that with more RP you will likely need less duration.

All High Load settings need dyno time to be set right!

Start with the HL duration.
Start from let's say 20 and do a baseline run.
Now increase to 30. Let's say you have gained power and have broadened the power band. ( compared to the run with 20 )
Now increase to 40. Let's say no power was gained but EGT's went up.
That means too much duration!
Now go to 35 and do a run. Some power has been gained compared to the run with 30 and the EGT's are better than with 40. GOOD! Refine to a little bit higher or lower #'s at will.

Now dial in the RP.
Proceed with the same steps as for the HLD. Eventually try to reduce the duration a bit once you've found the happy medium for the RP.

Last but not least, the high load timing.
The timing is MOST CRITICAL for the performance AND engine survival!!!!
Over advance the timing too much and the motor is going to suffer in no time! Not enough timing will kill the performance. Or in other words, if you really want to perform YOU NEED THE TIMING SET RIGHT!

The proceeding is the same as with the HL duration.
Start at 20 go up to 30 go up to 40...

Only thing being, the timing on the dyno is most likely too much for the road / track. That's due to the dyno not fully loading the enigne. In other words,
back out of the timing that is right on the dyno 2-4 numbers. IE from let's say 38 go down to 34.

In all you should not need more than 10-15 dyno runs to dial in things to perfection.

Helps some?

Marco
PS on edit. To give you an idea about the timing. On a STOCK truck the right timing can gain close to 90 Hp. On big dogs I've seen differences in the 200 HP range just dialing in the timing.

Last edited:
Sorry, a couple things have just come to my mind that I did not think about in the previous MSG. bif

Setting the HL timing right on the track is not a sooo good idea. Granted, the run does not last long but it's still way longer than on a dyno. I have never damaged any engine on the dyno even doing some weird / stupid stuff over advancing the timing. On average the dyno run lasts only a few seconds and the load is not as high as on the road / track.

The timing is directly related to the heat in the cylinder. Thus, then higher the boost, then less timing is desired ( lower # on the SSR ). This relates also directly to decompressed engines. Typically they need more timing than a stock compression ratio. In poor words, what works on one truck may not be right on the next one. That's what the reasoning behind the SSR is all about. Adapt to different needs....

Proceedings on the dyno:

-Engine at operation temps!

-Wait at least 15 minutes between the runs to get the heat soak out of the motor. In hot temps use a hugh fan to cool the engine. Always start the run at the same engine temp or you may get results that make no sense. That makes it in turn hard to understand what's going on.

-The runs need to be consistant!!! IE start all runs at the same RPM and at the SAME BOOST. The slightest difference between the runs and you will not be able to see if something really changed.

-Granted, dyno's don't lie but you don't want to trust them blindly either. Operator error or glitches are always waiting for you to screw the picture.
When you think you got the setting right, repeat at least once if not twice the same run and then average between them. Please don't ask why I'm saying this...:nail:

-Last, never ever change more than one thing at one time!!! You'll never be able to understand what did what.

OK, now I'm done.

Cheers,

Marco

Well Done Marco!

I think those post will be very valuable to most users of SSR and esp. the new ones that just got it!

I can't wait to get my truck back up and running now, Sense Jeff has the dyno..

Thanks Buddy!

Last edited:
Marco,

I don't have my notes infront of me...but telling everybody what settings are "stock" should really help. The numbers are higher than you would think on LL and lower on HL.

Thanks for that Marco. I am back experimenting with the SSR again and really dialing it in. I almost have it where I want for the daily drive. I'll get it on the dyno soon to get the HL settings figured out.

Yeah, FWIW, I am running TM2, RP2, (everywhere) both LL settings at 10 and both HL settings at 20. Truck is way more responsive than the 676HP tune of Level 7 on TNT-R. It also has less smoke down low. The transition to HL is pretty smooth, but still a bit overfueled on top. Most of the LL rattle that I have with the TNT-R is gone with these settings.
Fletcher Cam, SuperBSpecial, 120HP nozzles, modified single pump.

I'm searching my notes about the SSR.... I like order and organization but for the heck I can't find my notes! Let me begin with saying, there is no "real" stock in the SSR levels. Means, I have modified all maps to have them do performance. Means, all of them are no longer really stock. To help you understand what I'm saying here... Most if not all maps turn the "quantity" down at the highest RPM. We don't want that, right? So now all maps are full power up to the top. That's why I say there's no real stock. Something close to it yes, real stock no. ( Just to clarify, when you return the SSR back to the stock software of course you return the whole enchillada back to real stock!)

OK, point is, no notes, no can say what is close to stock! CHIT! I'll have to compile the levels and compare them to the stock stuff to find out again. That'll take me some time tho. Please stay tuned!

Erik, buddy, looong time no hear! Howdy? Good to hear that you've got the smoke down! In your neck of the woods sounds like a must.

I'll get you the "close" to stock levels ASAP.

Marco

You said it in the other thread...

Close to Stock is:

LLtim 15
HLtim 5

LLdur 15
HLdur 1

So...you can see even if HL and LL settings are the same number...there is a big big jump in duration.

Last edited:
YO DA MAN!
Heck, I'm still searching here....

Let me check this one more time to make sure that I have not changed things in the last moment...

THANKS!

Marco

8280eac5.jpg

David...remind me to teach you how to do a screen shot off your computer...cell phone pics suck. LOL

Back